Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-27-1999, 11:26 PM   #1
Darth Tater

Treebeard

Who can forget this masterfull character, spirit of the forest Fangorn? His character has always been one of my favorites. I love the connection with nature that is even stronger then that of the elves. The ents are, in my opinion, the greatest race of Middle Earth. I have had the joy of seeing one (ok, it was a really cool tree, but who cares) and I feel they are simply wonderfull. Now, where did those darn entwives go?
Old 09-28-1999, 07:45 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Treebeard

I think the Entwives ended up in the Shire. Remember at the beginning of LotR that guy in the bar was talking about seeing living trees or something like that... It would make sense, too. Oh, and do you think that Old Man Willow could possibly be some subspecies of Ents?
Old 09-28-1999, 11:37 PM   #3
Darth Tater

Re: Treebeard

He very well may be an ent who strayed away from their ways and followed after the entwives.
Old 09-29-1999, 01:58 AM   #4
Hernalt

Old Man Willow, the Ent.

Wow. That's good. He kept searching until he gave up despondent. Or maybe he met Tom Bombadil and just decided to settle down and put it all behind him. He eventually got "sluggish" and brooded in unwarranted malice.
Old 09-30-1999, 12:24 AM   #5
Darth Tater

Re: Old Man Willow, the Ent.

Exactly Hernalt. That does make a lot of sense.
Old 10-03-1999, 06:35 PM   #6
Jedi Eowyn

Hm hoom hoom

It struck me as odd how the ents seemed so neighborly but Bombadil who is the neighbor to the Shire seems sort of alien. Bombadil's hospitality is not to be knocked, don't get me wrong. I'd love to drop by any day. But walking onto his property is like doing a twilight zone moment... Treebeard on the other hand makes buddies with the hobbits. Bombadil may like the hobbits, but he's never buddies with them. Treebeard lives farther away and is stranger to look at, but is much more neighbor like. There's something oddly similar between the two characters. Bombadil and Treebeard both get called eldest at one point or another, but Treebeard is the eldest living thing. Bombadil and Treebeard live in forests of active trees. Bombadil and Treebeard are both friends of Gandalf's. The two are both clearly tied to vegetation in ways we readers can only admire. The odder one at first glance, Treebeard, turns out to be the more normal character, whereas the aparently more human seeming character turns out to be very odd indeed. If Goldberry is Yavanna, she should get with it and get those ents and entwives back together!!! This should be one of Aragorn's agenda items now that he has his throne: reunion of ents and entwives! It struck me as sad that Treebeard wanted to see Fimbrethil and couldn't. He didn't even have a clear tragedy to mourn. He has "grace under pressure." "perhaps we shall find somewhere a land where we can live together and both be content. But it is forboded that that will only happen when we have both lost all that we have now." (TT--Treebeard) *sigh*
Old 10-08-1999, 08:18 PM   #7
Darth Tater

Re: Hm hoom hoom

I don't think it would work for the ents and entwives to get back together. They became so different, that I think in a short time they would loath each others existence. It's sad, but that's just the way it is.
Old 10-09-1999, 07:44 PM   #8
Hernalt

Tolkien hits the heartstrings, once again.
Old 11-03-1999, 06:36 PM   #9
Elrond

I was once comfused by the fact that both treebeard and bombadil are called eldest... I believe bombadil is one of the maiar (is that how u spell it?), like mellian...
Old 11-04-1999, 01:41 AM   #10
Galadriel24

Tom Bombadil could very well be one of the Maiar... but it is also believed that he could be Iluvatar himself...
Old 11-04-1999, 10:57 PM   #11
ArwenUndomiel02

and then tried to eat merry? or was it pippen(?no offence peregrin)
Old 11-05-1999, 01:43 AM   #12
Darth Tater

That's the idea
Old 11-06-1999, 08:30 AM   #13
Elrond

Both.
Old 11-06-1999, 09:06 AM   #14
Elrond

Galadriel:

Bombadil is not Iluvantar. Tolkien actualy said that this was not true. The best theory I've found so far is that he is Aule. You can see the details at Who is Tom Bombadil?
Old 11-06-1999, 02:19 PM   #15
Darth Tater

Re: Galadriel:

My best guess about Bombadil is that he's not anything any of the theories suggest, but that he is rather his own being, unlike anything else.
Old 11-07-1999, 12:37 AM   #16
galadriel1

I agree!

I agree with your assessment there, Darth Tater. Tom is very unique. There`s noone quite like him.
Old 11-09-1999, 04:31 AM   #17
Celeborn

Re: I agree!

hmmmmmmm could tom be gandalf's relation? they're both the same age, both have powwa and at the end gandalf goes to "have a long talk with bombadil" maybe they are just good friends but it strikes me that there is never any "gandalf, son of bingbangbong" or anything, and he has no "kin" this is odd, as even fordo is called "frodo, son of drogo" well, that's my two cents anyone else?
Old 11-09-1999, 06:24 AM   #18
Elrond

The maiar don't realy go in for the whole 'kin' thing in my experiance.
Old 12-05-1999, 05:44 AM   #19
Gimli the Dwarf

Celaborn, have you read the Unfinished Tales chapter "Istari"? It explains who Gandalf is, and you see, the valar don't have fathers, so, nope, it wouldn't say Gandalf son of so and so.
Old 12-05-1999, 08:49 PM   #20
Darth Tater

In the words of DarthNut, what he said