Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2000, 11:10 PM   #1
dmaul96

Bilbo's relation to Gandalf

Although I have my own opinions to what the relation actually is, it has been deemed inappropriate for Entmoot. However, other people can still post their ideas here.
Old 01-15-2000, 11:43 PM   #2
Fat middle

Re: Bilbo's relation to Gandalf

huh?
Old 01-15-2000, 11:48 PM   #3
anduin

I will leave this thread open. Anyone who feels the need to flame dmaul, go right ahead.
Old 01-15-2000, 11:49 PM   #4
Eruve

I really have no idea what you could be hinting at...
Old 01-15-2000, 11:50 PM   #5
Eruve

I really have no idea what you could possibly be hinting at...
Old 01-16-2000, 01:47 AM   #6
Lauren Weasley

ditto what ideas WOULD we have anyway? *that's rhetorical*
Old 01-16-2000, 12:12 PM   #7
Fat middle

Thanks anduin, but for once i can freely flame... i cannot choose a name "worth" enough for him.
Old 01-17-2000, 03:41 AM   #8
Darth Tater

That's just sick.
Old 01-20-2000, 01:01 AM   #9
IronParrot

I, like Eruve, STILL do not have any idea what you could possibly be hinting at.
Old 01-20-2000, 01:39 AM   #10
Darth Tater

If anyone wants to know what he's talking about e-mail or aim me at youthat101@aol.com It's sick, don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 01-20-2000, 02:22 PM   #11
Eruve

Actually, I think it's safe to say, I had a pretty good idea what was meant. I made my comment sarcasticly
Old 01-20-2000, 06:30 PM   #12
Spock1

How about Bilbo being the vehicle by which all prophesy and hopes of elves and men would work through. Had not Bilbo taken up the challenge created by Gandalf (the party and adventure) all would have been lost. We could simply leave it at that. PC is not needed here.
Old 01-20-2000, 07:42 PM   #13
Darth Tater

Spock, I greatly prefer your idea.
Old 01-26-2000, 01:50 AM   #14
dmaul96

clarify

I understand that this thread has caused great confusion, but why? I thought all of you read The Hobbit. Shouldn't you be experts? Since all of your simple minds are unable to interpret this relation, let the Great Jae clarify things. In the beginning, it is established that Bilbo despises the company of Gandalf. And, Gandalf is quite aware. Then, we must ask ourselves, "Why would Gandalf, such an educated creature do something so stupid?" And, the answer is very simple. We ourselves were unable to see Bilbo's image, but Gandalf was. And, the very image of Bilbo's chubby short self greatly enticed Gandalf. Every time he comes back to greet Bilbo, he comes with a greater lust than before. Each meeting is so stimulating, he can't stand being away from his greatest desire. Now, that we know what Gandalf's thinking, we must investigate Bilbo. The author vividly describes the door of Bilbo's house. He makes it seem so elaborate and decorative. If the door was so elaborate, it would be very capable of locking people out. So, why didn't Bilbo simply lock him out? It seems that Bilbo must have been doing something very special. Perhaps, even having an advenure. Although we don't know what exactly was going on, we do know that it wasn't nothing. That's what makes Bilbo's relation to Gandalf so fascinating. This topic is devoted to understanding the greatest mystery in the Lotr+Hobbit. Admin note: nothing inappropriate was edited out, dmaul just asked me to get rid of his plea to keep this post intact, which is no longer necessary since I "approved" it.
Old 01-26-2000, 02:04 AM   #15
bmilder

Re: clarify

Well, since you took the time to make an intelligent post and backed it up with reasons, I'll have to treat it as valid :P Your hypothesis is certainly creative. Neither of the two had wives that we know about. However, I don't think it was Tolkien's intention to hint at a possible relationship between the two. It is an interesting interpretation, though, and I'll let other people comment on it. As per your request, I will edit out your plea that your message not be deleted and hope that my fellow admins/mods will leave his post intact.
Old 01-26-2000, 03:14 PM   #16
Eruve

If you read "The Quest of Erebor" in Unfinished Tales, you will see in full detail what Gandalf's motives behind the entire quest were. This tidbit goes a long way to shooting down your theory, which IMHO wasn't put down here seriously in any case. But since Ben is determined to take it seriously... Also, what good would it have done Bilbo to lock Gandalf out? G was perfectly capable of blowing B's door out the other side of the Hill, and B was well aware of this. B spends the whole first bit of the book treading carefully aroung G so as to not make G angry with him.
Old 01-26-2000, 10:32 PM   #17
fett96

Hey Eruve, or should I say Homie G or Homie B. Are you too freekin lazy to write out Blilbo and Gandolf??? Anyway, I thought that the original message dmaul posted about this subject a couple months a go was a lot funnier.
Old 01-27-2000, 02:35 AM   #18
bmilder

*sigh*

Perhaps, but his latest one was more intelligent. You shouldn't be chiding Eruve on abbreviation if you can't even spell the full names correctly yourself.
Old 01-27-2000, 09:45 AM   #19
Fat middle

Re: *sigh*

LOL Perhaps if he´d have read the books he´d know that Gandalf used to sign with his initial G.
Old 01-27-2000, 03:46 PM   #20
Darth Tater

That's a 48 hour ban fett/greg

Don't say I didn't warn you.