Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-13-2000, 01:19 AM   #1
bmilder

The Two Towers

I had always assumed that the Two Towers alluded to in the title of the second installment of LotR were Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul. Then I realized they could mean Orthanc, Barad Dur, or even Weathertop. What do you think are the Two Towers?
Old 03-13-2000, 02:21 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: The Two Towers

I always thought they were Minas Morgul and Orthanc. Hmm... Minas Tirith... I never thought of that - but that's because it doesn't really play as much of a role as Orthanc does. I think of it as this: Book III centers around one of the towers, Book IV centers on the other. So I'd have to say it's Orthanc and Minas Morgul, respectively.
Old 03-13-2000, 03:21 AM   #3
ArwenUndomiel02

That's what I always thot. Yes, that's right, Arwen is back.
Old 03-13-2000, 04:33 AM   #4
IronParrot

Woohoo!
Old 03-13-2000, 02:12 PM   #5
Eruve

The two towers are Minas Morgul and Orthanc. This is explicitly stated at the end of Fellowship. In italics at the end of my paperback edition:
"Here ends the first part of the history of the War of the Ring. The second part is called THE TWO TOWERS since the events in it are dominated by Orthanc, the citadel of Saruman, and the fortress of Minas Morgul that guards the secret..."
(Here the text continues onto the next page which seems to have fallen out of my book. That's what happens when your copy is over 20 years old!)
Old 03-13-2000, 08:11 PM   #6
Hernalt

www.users.cts.com/king/e/...towers.htm

Howz em wings Eruve?
Old 03-14-2000, 12:36 AM   #7
Eruve

Re: ...

Guess this means the book is wrong?? Why would that little blurb get printed if it was wrong? I know! The editors read the wrong letter!, Yeah, that's the ticket...
Not to agrue with the professor, but it seems like Minas Morgul plays a slightly larger role in book IV than does the tower of Cirith Ungol...
P.S. Them wings are just fine, thank you very much!
Old 03-14-2000, 01:55 AM   #8
Finduilas

I would have thought that the two were Orthanc and Cirth Ungol. After all, that is where the climax of that section of the story is.
Old 03-14-2000, 02:45 AM   #9
Spock1

Ah, a duplicate post occured. Happens when pipe weed gets stuck in the keys.
Old 03-14-2000, 02:45 AM   #10
Spock1

My copy is 35 yrs old.

..that guards the secret entrance to Mordor; it tells of the deeds and perils of all the members of the now sundered fellowship, until the coming of the Great Darkness.
The Third part tells of the last defence against the Shadow, and the end of the mission of the Ring-bearer in The Return Of The King. THE END

Hope this helps a bit. Yep, Orthanc and Minas Morgul was the correct answer; give that person a bag of peanuts.
Old 03-14-2000, 03:47 AM   #11
IronParrot

Woohoo! I was the first to say that!

Of course, I had the distinct advantage of visiting this board right after bmilder started this topic... by coincidence or design...
Old 03-14-2000, 09:39 AM   #12
sparksterboy

I have seen a p[icture of the set for one of the towers they are making for the movie. im looking really forward to it. I live in New Zealand and there are some interesting things being built over here for the movie. The Towers for this movie is going to look totally awesome, trust me.
Old 03-17-2000, 06:08 PM   #13
Darth Tater

My copy is really old and I've lost the last page with the blurb, but I remember it being Minus Morgul and Orthanc.

Ok, I just read the forward in the authorized American edition of ROTK, and it suggests Isengard and Cirith Ungol as the Two Towers, since Minus Morgal was avoided.
Old 03-19-2000, 04:52 AM   #14
Spock1

DT you can't be serious and believe an authorized American version you just read versus original copies and reprints from the "days of Tolkein" mania? but then there are purists and others. :lol: