Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Middle-Earth is Dark Age Europe

OK, I try and incite with this idea every now and then.

It should be obvious to everyone that Middle-Earth at the end of the Third Age is modelled on Europe circa 900 AD

The Empire has been divided into two; the Western/Northern half has fallen, leaving a desolate waste of forests and marshes where law and order have collapsed, outlaws and worse roam freely, and only a few outposts of an older civilisation remain.
Orcs, trolls= Vikings, Magyars, local marauders
Rivendell, Lorien, Shire, Bree= monasteries and scattered outposts holding onto the legacy of Rome- from a British POV, ties in with Arthur.

Gondor, the Eastern/Southern half of the Empire had expanded and reached new heights of glory, only to fall back under the assaults from the East.

Gondor= Byzantium, Mordor = Islam

PLEASE NOTE!!!!- I am not saying that Tolkien thought Muslims were Evil or Servants of the Dark Lord. Just that his preoccupation with early Medieval times led him to project a vision that very strongly tracks Europe after the Fall of Rome, where Christendom was under attack from a powerful enemy from the South/East

Last edited by GreyMouser : 05-17-2006 at 01:19 PM.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMouser
Am proud of myself.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Sam
Elven Warrior

Interesting point of veiw GreyMouser.
I've never really thought of it that way. But now that you mention it, it does fit together alomost perfectly. But what would symbolize the city of Rome itself?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:58 AM   #4
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Hmm, very interesting. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if Tolkien was influenced by his knowledge of this period. In the interests of historical accuracy, however, I have to nitpick

Quote:
It should be obvious to everyone that Middle-Earth at the end of the Third Age is modelled on Europe circa 900 AD

The Empire has been divided into two; the Western/Northern half has fallen, leaving a desolate waste of forests and marshes where law and order have collapsed, outlaws and worse roam freely, and only a few outposts of an older civilisation remain.
Rivendell, Lorien, Shire, Bree= monasteries and scattered outposts holding onto the legacy of Rome- from a British POV, ties in with Arthur.
The description you give here, especially of the British Isles, is much more applicable to the 5th century than to the 10th. The Romans left at the beginning of the 400s, and by 900, Anglo-Saxon England was a developed civilisation, not "scattered outposts holding onto the legacy of Rome". Law and order had been restored (the first Anglo-Saxon king to issue a law code was Ethelbert of Kent in the 7th century), the kings of Wessex were exerting authority over a considerable part of England (which was beginning to be called England for the first time), and literature and Christian culture were both flourishing. I know you're talking about Europe as a whole, but as far as England goes, the 10th century is the wrong period to choose.

Arthur also fits better into the earlier timescale, though fictional characters are always flexible when it comes to dates
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Hmm, very interesting. It wouldn't be a surprise at all if Tolkien was influenced by his knowledge of this period. In the interests of historical accuracy, however, I have to nitpick

The description you give here, especially of the British Isles, is much more applicable to the 5th century than to the 10th. The Romans left at the beginning of the 400s, and by 900, Anglo-Saxon England was a developed civilisation, not "scattered outposts holding onto the legacy of Rome". Law and order had been restored (the first Anglo-Saxon king to issue a law code was Ethelbert of Kent in the 7th century), the kings of Wessex were exerting authority over a considerable part of England (which was beginning to be called England for the first time), and literature and Christian culture were both flourishing. I know you're talking about Europe as a whole, but as far as England goes, the 10th century is the wrong period to choose.

Arthur also fits better into the earlier timescale, though fictional characters are always flexible when it comes to dates
Yep, you're right- was being careless with my dates- in fact 900 would probably be a bit late for the Continent too- things were settling down by then and the foundations of the High Middle Ages were being laid.

So shove it back to 500-600.

Sam- hmmm... just write Rome out of the picture and chalk it up to Tolkien's Northern bias
Old 05-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Sam- hmmm... just write Rome out of the picture and chalk it up to Tolkien's Northern bias
Rome could be Fornost, perhaps?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

A very interesting thread!

I think Tolkien was influenced by the European history, yes by Arthurian legend, and Rome, and Byzantium, but also Tolkien himself likened Gondor and Arnor to the Upper and Lower Egypt (sorry, I can't find the exact quote).

I don't think we can expect him to retell the Middle Ages history in the right chronological order, though.
While Aragorn is somewhat like Arthur (6th century?) then the division of Arnor is influenced by the division of the Karolingean Empire (9th century?), and Numenor story by the legend of Atlantis (something BC). And the Shire is like 18-19 century England...
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #8
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
A very interesting thread!

I think Tolkien was influenced by the European history, yes by Arthurian legend, and Rome, and Byzantium, but also Tolkien himself likened Gondor and Arnor to the Upper and Lower Egypt (sorry, I can't find the exact quote).

I don't think we can expect him to retell the Middle Ages history in the right chronological order, though.
While Aragorn is somewhat like Arthur (6th century?) then the division of Arnor is influenced by the division of the Karolingean Empire (9th century?), and Numenor story by the legend of Atlantis (something BC). And the Shire is like 18-19 century England...
I'm not saying it exactly tracks what happened- that would be (Horror!) allegory. And the history is certainly different- a case of convergent evolution.
More the general setting- in Arnor, a wilderness that has reclaimed former settled lands, populated with bans of marauders; Gondor, experiencing a reflorescence (that would make Numenor the stand-in for Rome; as I said the back-story is different), but then waning under pressure from the East.

As for the settled Anglo-Saxons, dare one suggest...Rohan?- (scurries quickly for shelter)

Of course modern Medievalists (is that an oxymoron?) suggest that the Dark Ages weren't so Dark, and especially that the population didn't drop so much, but that was certainly the traditional perspective.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Of course modern Medievalists (is that an oxymoron?) suggest that the Dark Ages weren't so Dark, and especially that the population didn't drop so much, but that was certainly the traditional perspective.
Speaking of the Middle Ages, I'd say that the Black Death, the plague epidemic that killed about 25 million people in Europe was probably the model for the plague that around 1670 TA killed the majority of the Cardolanean population and also hit Gondor pretty badly.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #10
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
As for the settled Anglo-Saxons, dare one suggest...Rohan?- (scurries quickly for shelter)
No need to scurry for shelter. Sure, Tolkien thought of Anglo-Saxons when depicting Rohan. Even the names are Anglo-Saxon in form.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #11
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Absolutely. There are many similarities between Rohan and the Anglo-Saxons - Theoden even practically quotes an Old English poem

Quote:
I did have to restrain myself from commenting on that before... "Dark Ages" seems so inappropriate, even if all it's meant to imply is that we don't know much about them!
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #12
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
No need to scurry for shelter. Sure, Tolkien thought of Anglo-Saxons when depicting Rohan. Even the names are Anglo-Saxon in form.
I originally started posting about Tolkien on the old White Council site run by Michael Martinez, and Rohan=Anglo-Saxons was one of his pet peeves (along with pointed ears on Elves).

And when MM came down on you, believe me, you scurried for shelter

I'll go with Tom Shippey. Rohan = Anglo-Saxons + horses.
In "The Road to Middle-Earth" he argues that the Rohirrim were JRR's recreation of a hypothetical Old Gothic Indo-European horse culture based in the plains of Hungary (pre-Huns, of course)
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I did have to restrain myself from commenting on that before... "Dark Ages" seems so inappropriate, even if all it's meant to imply is that we don't know much about them!
Well, I'm not so revisionist myself- I tend to be a bit of a Classicist and mourn "the glory that was Greece, the grandeur that was Rome".

I do remember from many years ago, European History 120 (Fall of Rome to Renaissance) my prof was an Austrian. The first day he handed us a map labeled "Migrations of the Peoples" (German: Volkswanderung)

I asked what that meant; he replied "the movements of the Germanic peoples to the West'

'Oh, you mean the Barbarian Invasions"

"THEY WERE NOT BARBARIANS!!!"

Had to work really hard in that class.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LOL.
Great story.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #15
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Rome could be Fornost, perhaps?
If you want the city that was sacked by "barbarians"... or you could take Annuminas, which was probably a grander city.

I don't think Tolkien actually modeled Middle Earth on a given time in a given part of the world. Rather, I think he borrowed all sorts of episodes from history and mythology, and re-arranged them to suit (or create) his own stories.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #16
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Not Rome, but Byzantium, which slowly depopulated following plague and war, and was situated (like Minas Tirith) on the western side of the primary trade route to the Lands Beyond. Byzantium, like Minas Tirith, was at continuous war with a cruel and unrelenting foe to the East that slaughtered all who did not submit to its religion; and Byzantium, like Minas Tirith, was not the first great capital but the second, selected after an earlier and grander capital fell into ruin and decay. (The first was Rome for Byzantium, and Osgiliath for Minas Tirith. Note that this relationship is also true for Annúminas and Fornost Erain.)

Like Byzantium, Minas Tirith made peace with the barbarian tribes to the North and used them as cavalry against the invaders. Like Byzantium, Minas Tirith’s impregnable walls that had withstood invaders for centuries were breached with magic (black powder for Byzantium, black magic for Minas Tirith; but when men used alchemy instead of chemistry, many Byzantines considered black powder a form of black magic). Like Byzantium, Minas Tirith once ruled the sea with a might navy, maintaining ports and far-flung outposts to protects its interests and its citizens, and during that period, its power and influence stretched far to the south, and its name and the rumor of its power were known in many distant lands. And finally, like Byzantium, Minas Tirith was a repository of ancient knowledge lost to the rest of the world, a shining beacon of civilization and a remembrance of thousands of years of past glory long gone, an ember flickering in the approaching darkness of the end of that civilization.

But unlike Byzantium, Minas Tirith was saved.

For the Dark Ages that Tolkien studied, and for the Middle Ages that followed, Byzantium, not Rome, was the shining citadel of Christendom. And Byzantium, like Minas Tirith, was a bit alien and old-fashioned to those from the north-west of Middle-earth – or the north-west of Europe.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #17
CAB
Elven Warrior

Very impressive Alcuin. That certainly sounds like more than coincidence. Do you know if anyone ever questioned Tolkien about these similarities?
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
The Numenoreans, more specifically, but by extension the Dunedain to an extent. I believe he even gave the Numenorean crown as modeled after the Egyptian syncretised edition in the Letters, but mine are sort of in a different continent, so I can't look it up...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Quote:
The Numenoreans, more specifically, but by extension the Dunedain to an extent. I believe he even gave the Numenorean crown as modeled after the Egyptian syncretised edition in the Letters, but mine are sort of in a different continent, so I can't look it up...
That’s in letter 211, written 1958.
Quote:
The Númenóreans of Gondor were proud, peculiar, and archaic, and I think are best pictured in (say) Egyptian terms.
And there’s a sketch of a Númenórean king wearing the crown of Gondor, which Tolkien draws to look very like the crown of Upper Egypt.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

*gives a blueberry muffin to Alcuin*

Very well done indeed! Kudos to you!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote