FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2006, 06:05 AM   #29
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Thursday, noon
Nîn-In-Eilph, Linthárvar

"Halindel!" Nardol called out, "a message arrived!"

Halindel came out of the house, her pen still in hand. Nardol expertly crossed the narrow rope-bridge that connected the houses and handed her the small message. Calaros came out to join them as well.

"A message? here?"

"Yes. A falcon just dropped this."

Halindel rolled the message open and read. A frown formed on her forehead.

"Strange, it's not from Eärniel," Halindel said, "but from someone named Mahtaliel. Claiming pirate ships have been spotted coming up the river, intending to strike at Tharbad."

"Pirates? They're a long way from their usual haunts... Curious. But I know the name Mahtaliel." Calaros said. "Her name came up once in a while when we were still trading with the Gwaith-I-M*rdain. Never heard of her again afterwards. But then again we never heard of a lot of people afterwards. It's possible she survived."

"The note seems genuine enough." Halindel said quietly, thinking. She turned towards Nardol. "How are the changes going?"

"We're ahead of schedule but not yet near completing them. The reconstructions are almost finished, but the waterworks need more time."

"Pity," Halindel said, "they could already have been put to use... But it does not matter."

She handed the message back to Nardol.

"And what should we do with this?" Nardol asked, indicating the message.

"Tharbad has good defenses and enough guards," Calaros said. "The pirates don't know what they're getting themselves into. If Eärniel didn't reckon she'd be safe there, we'll be seeing her come this way in an hour or two. But I doubt it. The pirates are unlikely to ever get past the city; and if they're wise they'd know they'll never get past the marches with large boats. I doubt they even know we're here. We need not to worry."

"Indeed." Halindel added. "But we'll batter down the hatches just in case. Oh, and ask one of the swans if it wants to deliver something to Tharbad from me? In the light of recent events, I think Eärniel forgot to pack one or two things..."