Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
I thought it was a very good series and the finale added to it. I'm not going to slag off RTD because he resurrected (regenerated?) the whole thing in the first place and he contributed some great episodes ("Turn Left" is a dark little classic that foreshadows "Torchwood: Children of Earth", for instance). But his finales were just too damn grandiose and portentous. The subject of Moffatt's finale was as grandiose as it gets but it didn't seem that way because he focussed on just a few people.
I agree about RTD: even if his finales weren't very good, he did a great job by bringing back the series. I have to be eternally thankful to him for that.. And I think he brought a nice, non-heteronormative aspect to the series too, and I quite appreciate that.

Quote:
Matt Smith probably had the toughest ever act to follow and did the best ever job at doing it, Karen Gillan is immensely popular with my family's three young critics AND upsets the Daily Mail, so she's doing something right (and oh my word she's nice to look at...).
Indeed. I was quite nervous to see who they'd bring in after Tennant, who did a great job and to make the role his. Matt Smith is doing a brilliant job, though - no need to convince me anymore. I really like Karen Gillan, mostly because she's very clever. I hope they don't bring in stupid companions anymore, they're just boring.. :P

Great season! And brilliant link..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
I agree about RTD: even if his finales weren't very good, he did a great job by bringing back the series. I have to be eternally thankful to him for that.. And I think he brought a nice, non-heteronormative aspect to the series too, and I quite appreciate that.
To my mind, that one goes both ways. He certainly has upped the ante with supporting characters (most notably Captain Jack), but at the same time, having all the sexual tension between Rose and the Doctor introduces a heteronormativity, where before the Doctor was (usually) portrayed as asexual. So, ya win some, ya lose some.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
To my mind, that one goes both ways. He certainly has upped the ante with supporting characters (most notably Captain Jack), but at the same time, having all the sexual tension between Rose and the Doctor introduces a heteronormativity, where before the Doctor was (usually) portrayed as asexual. So, ya win some, ya lose some.
That's why I loved it when Catherine Tate was in the series (I can't remember her character name...). It took out the sexual tension, AND she was a real actress . Also hilarious. I love that woman!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote