Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
AndMorgothCame.
Hobbit

havent logged in for a longggg time.

I agree with you about the early chapters in the book. They are so full of imagery and info that they seem much more expansive in memory. Thats the bittersweet thing about that book; however in-depth and wonderful, each chapter could be its own novel. I want more about Feanor, Thingol and the Nauglamir, more about Fingolfin, Beren and Luthien. Even with all the Lost and Unfinished tales, I still want to know more.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMorgothCame. View Post
havent logged in for a longggg time.

I agree with you about the early chapters in the book. They are so full of imagery and info that they seem much more expansive in memory. Thats the bittersweet thing about that book; however in-depth and wonderful, each chapter could be its own novel. I want more about Feanor, Thingol and the Nauglamir, more about Fingolfin, Beren and Luthien. Even with all the Lost and Unfinished tales, I still want to know more.
Is there a "Beren and Luthien" book just out? Or about to come out?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Valandil

A couple more observations from "The Silmarillion" proper, as I get close to wrapping up "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" (I had forgotten how short the last two essays in the book are):

Much detail, which I thought I knew about the stories, was missing. Just yesterday I picked up "Unfinished Tales" - and saw that it contained more of those details than I remembered. I also remember how the story of Turin gets a little confusing - since we have three versions; Silmarillion's account, UT's "Narn I Hin Hurin" and the separate work, "Children of Hurin" - also, from a glance I see that the part of Tuor's story where he meets the two Elves who guide him toward Nevrast is entirely in UT.

Throughout the Silmarillion account, maybe even more toward the ending, we keep getting the sense that - strive as they might - that ultimately the only hope of the Elves lies in the West. Christopher Tolkien has written about how his father became more concerned with the spiritual later in life - and so I see this aspect of The Silmarillion being reflective of what we hold as Christians. We strive as we can to seek what is good and right - but ultimately, it will be God who sets things to right.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Valandil

BTW - having wrapped up the other essays in The Silmarillion, I read "Athrabeth..." (but not the notes), and have started in on Unfinished Tales.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Valandil

Sometimes... it seems like the time between the rebellion of the Noldor and the End of the First Age should have been some thousands of years, instead of several hundred years. What do you think?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, with Elves, you never know. For them millennia may well be about the same as centuries, and especially in the First Age things seem to go on forever.

Which brings me to the next part.

How on (Middle-) earth did they keep track of time for anything before the Sun rose? Sure, immortal beings don't need to watch time as much as mortal beings, but surely they needed something to know when to sow or when to expect the fishing ship to return? How did Cirdan knowfor instance when to deliver Thingol's yearly tribute? How do you track time when there's nothing to track it by?

Frankly, it has been bugging me.

I am planning a Silmarillion re-read soon, not in the least because after years I've finally started writing for sheer fun again and the first thing I've started is a First-Age-fanfic so I need the research anyway.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote