Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2002, 05:14 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Ok so you really go to ME

Many people here have expressed a desire to go ME.

Let us assume that there is a collective sub-creative force that would deposit the psychic energies of tolkien's world in another dimension via a subtle quantum manifestion of accumalted desires to back it so. So doing a sub-quantum storm pass through earth at just the same time you log on to the moot you are now in ME late 3rd age.

different scenarios

1) you are zapped there JUST as you are right now. No preparation. You could appear randomly ANYwhere. The middle of the ocean or baradur to rivendell to mesdusheld.

you would probaly be killed/die of starvation no map no nothing.

2) luck is on our side since the books are written in a langauge that we understand our collective sub-creative force manifest westron as english and the desire see the good guys puts you in a friendly realm.( even our minority member are not outright killed as Southrons or easterlings)

the cries of ME have and your desire to go have brought you there. Your purpose is like that of the Istari to help aid the people of ME.
You KNow that you are there to aid the free-peoples.

You have the maps of middle -earth with you and a knowledge of the world. You have a sub conscious feeling for the world that that gives you unearthly insight from their point of view. But you lack the innate power of a true emissary from the West.

Say you arrive at the white council just before it drives the necromancer out of Dul Goldur. You appear in a flash of light upon the floor of their last meeting before the assault the worm hole jump has you weak and you pass out before you can speak.

Oh you are phyiscally STUCK at the age you are now. you are just as you are now. ( a normal human but with the elven immunity to sickness and aging the sub-creative quantum leap did this. But not other powers or skills than you have now. Yes there is one your mind is shielded form theirs. being an extra planar being you have this gift. You can still be broken mentally but they can not read your mind. and maybe you are NOT a beacon to the lidless eye. you appear as a normal human

with all of this what would you do? to change the events.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 01:34 PM   #2
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to think on it. I would hope luck would be with me, though! I've thought about what I would do if I landed in ME suddenly. Quite a lot, in fact. But I always pictured myself landing in Weathertop with Aragorn and the Hobbits, for some reason.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 01:53 PM   #3
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I am assuming they inherently trust me and seek my council.
I would let them know about the existing palantirs and their potential for corruption , thereby hoping to avoid the treason of Sauruman and the fiasco with Denenthor.

(P.S. Can't wait to read bropous' response)
Old 03-11-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
Ararax
Elven Warrior

What would i do? why go into the armament buisness id have 60 years to perfect repeating rifles then id get all the smiths available to build them them arm all the free peoples of me with rifles thats and id start makeing claymore mines to wed wipe out mordor real fast, after that id go into machine guns also i would attempt to get some uranium and send some little hobbit into mordor and blow the place up, then with my legacy established i would settle down with a couple elf babes and a couple human ones as well hehe
Old 03-11-2002, 03:12 PM   #5
Earenya
Elven Warrior

hmmm... I would help and give insight as much as I was able, but I would also learn archery/combat from the elves, developing myself as a warrior as best I could. Study wisdom and wizardry, etc... perhaps with those skills and an outsiders knowledge, history would progess differently.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 04:47 PM   #6
Ararax
Elven Warrior

ever read conneticut yankee in king arthurs court?
Old 03-11-2002, 04:55 PM   #7
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Erm . . . why would I want to change events? Things seemed to work out pretty much all right to me. It's not like I could stop the Elves from leaving, since most of them were already gone, and the great days of Numenor and such were already long past. The only thing I could influence would be the fight against Sauron, but that seemed to work out pretty well without my help, all things considered.

Thus, having washed my hands of all responsibility, I would travel through Middle Earth as some sort of wandering musician.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:10 PM   #8
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Erm . . . why would I want to change events? Things seemed to work out pretty much all right to me. It's not like I could stop the Elves from leaving, since most of them were already gone, and the great days of Numenor and such were already long past. The only thing I could influence would be the fight against Sauron, but that seemed to work out pretty well without my help, all things considered.

Thus, having washed my hands of all responsibility, I would travel through Middle Earth as some sort of wandering musician.
& i should like to go with you! i have my sketch pad and would like to do detailed drawings of the birds and flora of each place we wander through.

you can sing the melodies and play your harp(i presume) and i can accompany you on the tin whistle and occasionally sing back-up. & at night, around the camp fire, we will make songs to gladden the hearts of future wanderers . . .
Old 03-11-2002, 05:14 PM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Company! Oh, how lovely! And you're from Oregon? Me too (although I live in *evil* CA now)! We will wander Arda, gladdening hearts with music and art . . . all handsome Elves, Hobbits, and Men will flee before us . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:24 PM   #10
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
We will wander Arda, gladdening hearts with music and art . . . all handsome Elves, Hobbits, and Men will flee before us . . .
& i believe in later ages, we will find our songs and drawings in one of the appendices of The Red Book of Westmarch'. there will be a curious, unascribed addendum from a certain LOTR fellow who much enjoyed them and wanted to preserve them.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:25 PM   #11
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

You could save countless lives and a lot of pain and suffering with your fore knowledge and aid

it would be dangerous for two teenage girls (I believe) go traipsing around with a lute and sktech pad at anytime. especially between the time period mentioned above.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #12
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
You could save countless lives and a lot of pain and suffering with your fore knowledge and aid

it would be dangerous for two teenage girls (I believe) go traipsing around with a lute and sktech pad at anytime. especially between the time period mentioned above.
meddling in the past, i think, could only cause many unseen problems. it's too difficult to see how one or more small actions might affect the outcome an entire timeline -- it reminds me of gandalf's and galadriel's reluctance to take the One Ring - we might start out to do good, and yet cause a myriad of suffering and pain in other ways.

& thank you for thinking i might be a teenage girl!! if that is because i write all in non-caps, it is only that i am a quite lazy keyboarder.

if i were a young girl, my name would probably be: vardasoronwen

vardasoroniel, travelling with a bow and quiver at her back, and a well-worn sword on her hip . . .

Last edited by Vardasoroniel : 03-11-2002 at 06:00 PM.
Vardasoroniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:00 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Don't forget one premises of the post

Quote:
the cries of ME have and your desire to go have brought you there. Your purpose is like that of the Istari to help aid the people of ME.
I thought that it was implicit that it was duty or raison etre
to alleviate some of the damage that could be done

Quote:
& thank you for thinking i might be a teenage girl!! if that is because i write all in non-caps, it is only that i am a quite lazy keyboarder.
no, that wasn't the reason, i'm the laziest around here. My sub moniker attests to that; however the vast a majority of the mooters are teenagers and you your response as striking similar to the mannaer in which some of the young ladies post here

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-11-2002, 06:02 PM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

PS

after we fulfilled our duty if you ladies would have me I would gladly join you in wandering ME

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-11-2002, 06:09 PM   #15
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Don't forget one premises of the post

Your purpose is like that of the Istari to help aid the people of ME.

no, that wasn't the reason, i'm the laziest around here. My sub moniker attests to that; however the vast a majority of the mooters are teenagers and you your response as striking similar to the mannaer in which some of the young ladies post here
aid comes in many forms - i simply choose not to directly interfere in the progression of events.

what manner are you referring to?! what might a more mature response entail? i thought your original premise of a potentially playful nature, and i was simply playing.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:14 PM   #16
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider

Quote:
PS

after we fulfilled our duty if you ladies would have me I would gladly join you in wandering ME
of course! we'll meet in Fangorn. what talents do you bring? some juggling, perhaps, or better yet some hand magic?

we shall be a merry companie!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:30 PM   #17
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

hm.. I'm not sure what you could do. Most of the evil things that I could change also result in important decisions or actions that might not have happened otherwise. Examples: Boromir trying to take the ring = Frodo deciding to go to Mordor, Pippin finding the Palantir = Gandalf not looking in it, Aragorn showing himself to Sauron.

In other words, I would join FrodoFriend, Vardasoroniel, and Afro-Elf.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 06:37 PM   #18
Ararax
Elven Warrior

yes good could be done but youd have to be careful
Old 03-11-2002, 07:16 PM   #19
Elf Girl
Lurker

I think I'll join you too. Can I bring my flute? I'm pathetic at drawing.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 08:21 PM   #20
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

What would I do?..hrmm..I'd probably get killed by something...@_@*

If I didnt get killed right of the bat I'd probably wander around all freekin confused and in want of Coke (The happy happy fizzy sugar drink, not the drug)

...and I dont do dresses (No, not EVER, I've only worn dress 2 times in my life and i was FORCED) and apparently thats all women in ME wore at the time.....so that would be another thing I'd have to deal with and would prolly push me over the edge. Dresses*shudder*

...then I would get killed by something.

Last edited by Feraway Hawkbriar : 03-11-2002 at 08:22 PM.
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote