Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2002, 01:43 AM   #1
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Hemingway and Tolkien

One of my friends and I had this discussion comparing Tolkien and Hemingway. She says that Hemingway is better, and I say that Tolkien is better. She's never read any Tolkien, and I've only read one Hemingway short story (The Big Two-Hearted River). So I was hoping that I could get some input from people here who have read both Hemingway and Tolkien. What are your thoughts about the two authors?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well first of all, their writing styles are completely different. I don't think there's any point in comparing the two. Hemingway's prose possesses a certain terse simplicity. Tolkien writes in a far more classical register, in both dialogue and narrative, and is more descriptive. Hemingway is studied because his writing marks the transitional stage into a new era of American prose composition; Tolkien kept to more traditional, fiercely English ways.

It boils down to a matter of personal preference, I suppose.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

While their styles are vastly different, the intent of both authors are similar - they both just wanted to tell a good story. The strongest similarity between Hemingway and Tolkien can be demonstrated in quotes such as these:

Quote:
"The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks and no better and no worse."
- Ernest Hemingway

"I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers."
- J.R.R. Tolkien
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 06-25-2002, 02:00 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

I agree w/ IP, but as far as which I prefer, of course it's Tolkien, although I do enjoy the little Hemingway I've read.

A question: Why is it that when we read and discuss Hemingway in school, the teacher always talks about what everything represents, if he, like Tolkein, did not write allegory?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Maybe he wrote in allegory and didn't realize it. I know that "The Big Two-Hearted River" was full of it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 12:21 AM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well to quote Tolkien once again:

Quote:
"I think that many confuse applicability with allegory; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author."

Old 06-26-2002, 01:50 AM   #7
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Your friend is being silly. There is no way to compare the two, let alone establish superiority. They have completely different styles. Tolkien's style is very rich and detailed and he uses that to his advantage. Hemmingway is very terse and clean. I find him almost minimalist (I'm using the term in a general way, not in the artsy definition that a professional critic would). And he does that very well.
They make different demands on the reader. It comes down to personal preference.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote