Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2001, 08:26 PM   #1
gdl96

A big joke...

known as the Grammys!!

Gosh. Who bothers wasting there time with this? It's the biggest joke in the entertainment industry. It's almost always a sweep! Think of last year. Santana wins a bunch of awards. His song is pretty good. Worthy of recognition, but not worthy of a sweep. It's a joke! The only thing that's worth paying attention to is the nominations, cuz that's pretty cool. It means you're known, you're "recognized". And of course winning is good for you, cuz it'll get you recognized by stupid important people who still think the Grammys are important. But the only thing I bother about the Grammys is reading the nomintations, and the day after the show, reading the results, just out of curiosity.

I'll make a $10 bet with someone:
$10 that U2 will make a sweep this year. Just like Santana did last year.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
anduin

Re: A big joke...

U2??? Where have I been? I must listen to too many CDs and NPR. I didn't even know that they were even recording music anymore! Then again I haven't followed them since '87. You are right Grammy's (just like the Oscar's) are a big joke. It is a way for the music industry to increase awareness, sell records, and basically say, "this is who you will listen to or who we want you to listen to more". Some musicians I feel are groomed to be winners, some deserve it (I suppose). But mostly I think that the music industry puts "up there" who they want. For real awards I feel that "listener /viewer choice awards" are the real indicators of who is deserving and who is not.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:59 PM   #3
Johnny Lurker

I can't even cheer for any of the bands.

I don't like the ones I've heard are nominated.

People's Cheeze Awards all the way! Did any of you see those?
Old 01-05-2001, 06:31 PM   #4
Gilthalion

Re: I can't even cheer for any of the bands.

The old hobbit looked through his spectacles at the list of bands and movies...

"Bah!" he spat. "You call THIS talent? Why, back in my day we had REAL music! Elvis! The Beatles! ABBA! Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn!"
Old 01-05-2001, 08:30 PM   #5
The One Ring

I must admit, the only Grammy nominations I agree with are the classical and movie ones, and it's not as if they get any publicity anyway. Ah well.... I can still cheer for John Williams, if nobody else.
Old 01-05-2001, 10:59 PM   #6
Darth McClain

I normally agree with those to.