Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Could Fingolfin have bested Sauron?

Could Fingolfin have bested Sauron?

Cosidering that he gave Morgoth seven wounds that NEVER healed. Do think he could have bested the " lesser" Sauron?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:40 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I think that depends on the time in which they would fight. In the age when Morgoth ruled, I think Fingolfin could have beaten Sauron in battle if the latter didn't use any of his shape-shifting tricks. But I'm not sure whether Fingolfin could have beaten Sauron when he had grown into power in the third age.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:00 AM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Didn't Morgoth become much weaker after he had poured out lots of his power to mar Arda? IIRC even Manwë was surprised when he discovered how much Morgoth had diminished. Not that the valour of Fingolfin is lessened, Morgoth would still be an overwhelming enemy for an Elf.

Regarding Fingolfin vs. Sauron,: Sauron was strong in the Third Age, he had been a servant of Morgoth, but when Morgoth was conquered he inherited the marring, and the orcs and other foul creatures made by his former master. Still I think Fingolfin would have had a fair chance, when it comes to fighting one to one. Even Isildur managed to cut off Sauron's hand.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #4
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Hadn't Sauron already been severely wounded (if not defeated) by Elendil and Gil-galad by the time Isildur cut the ring away?

Anyways, in his duel against Morgoth, Fingolfin was extremely outmatched, because his adversary was quite a bit taller than him (and thus he was unable to deliver any mortal wounds). Sauron, on the other hand was a little closer to bite-sized, no?

In regards to pure physical combat, I believe Fingolfin would have a very good chance of defeating Sauron. However, Sauron's power was more evident in his sorcery than in his combat.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Sauron was also more powerful in the second age than Morgoth was in the 1st (can't provide any quote as of yet, but I think I saw it somwhere in HoME 8 or 9).
I'm not really sure on the outcome of the match, it depends on (as has been mentioned) when it would have been fought.

(Herald: "fight of the century! Come and see Fingolfin, High-King of the Noldor in a fight to death with Sauron the Abhorred, Lord of the Nine Nazgûls! Place your bets!")
Old 03-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

He WAS???? I can hardly believe that!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Sauron was also more powerful in the second age than Morgoth was in the 1st (can't provide any quote as of yet, but I think I saw it somwhere in HoME 8 or 9).
I'm not really sure on the outcome of the match, it depends on (as has been mentioned) when it would have been fought.

(Herald: "fight of the century! Come and see Fingolfin, High-King of the Noldor in a fight to death with Sauron the Abhorred, Lord of the Nine Nazgûls! Place your bets!")
I think not you may of got confused with the definition of power Sauron in the 3rd age probably had a more clear cut power than morgoth did in the first age because of whom he was facing. A falling Gondor, The Elves were leaving, Rohan only so strong. whilst Morgoth had the Elves at the height of there power in middle earth to manage.

Sauron Vs Fingofin wouldbe an intresting one Sauron is a bit of a crappy adversary at the end of the day he always without fail loses in one on one fight he was better at controling armys than fighting in one. Fingofin would of probably beaten sauron IMHO
Old 03-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #8
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

No Tolkien did state somewhere (my HoME knowledge is sketchy-but I've read it) that Sauron had more power in the 2nd age then Morgoth-by the 1st age Morgoth had tied up a lot of his power in Arda after all.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Are we talking with the ring or without?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:51 PM   #10
Falagar

Well, he had the Ring in the second age...
Old 03-03-2003, 04:57 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Falagar
The name kinda gives it away....
Yes, and the ring was created from his powers and contained his powers.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #12
Noahamir
Hobbit

My vote is on Fingolfin beating Sauron.

If Haun the Hound was able to defeat Sauron in the first age in single combat, I think that is quite possible for other non-maia to do it also.

I don't think the One Ring increased Sauron's individual power over what he had before forging it. It added to his powers only by controlling others, which wouldn't be helpful in a one-on-one combat situation like Fingolfin had with Morgoth.

I think Sauron killed Gil-Galad with a sneak attack but I will have to re-read the book to double check.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #13
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Yes, and the ring was created from his powers and contained his powers.
Did I say that?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:03 AM   #14
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yeah, I think Fingolfin could have taken Sauron. If a human and one of the last elven kings could take him down, surely the elf who gave Morgoth himself a good fight could have bested him.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 04:24 PM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Falagar
Did I say that?
Neh. I said yes, that is true, and added that the ring was created from his power and contained his power.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:40 AM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
that Sauron had more power in the 2nd age then Morgoth-by the 1st age Morgoth had tied up a lot of his power in Arda after all.
This has been discussed here before. I think that it meant that his political sway was greater than Morgoth. He ( Sauron) had greater sway or over area than his master did.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #17
Utumno
Sapling

Maybe you guys are thinking of what is said in Morgoth's Ring, Myths Transformed? I think it is in notes of movites in the Silmarillion, or perhaps elsewhere in the Melkor/Morgoth essay.

To paraphrase : "Sauron was greater, effectively, in the second age than was Morgoth at the end of the First"

I am sure that it says "greater, effectively" the word "powerful" is not used in that statement, but I interpret what is said as meaning that Sauron actually was more powerful at that time.

I believe that if in the same state as he was in when fighting Morgoth, that Fingolfin could have taken down Sauron at the end of the Third age.

Last edited by Utumno : 03-05-2003 at 12:18 PM.
Utumno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 04:12 AM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
am sure that it says "greater, effectively" the word "powerful" is not used in that statement, but I interpret what is said as meaning that Sauron actually was more powerful at that time.

This suggests to me not personal might but effective as in "exerting force or influence"

But the ring adds to one's power of dominion not whoopassness.

So my above about effective power.

But we agree Fin would win

'Dern Helm"

Old 03-06-2003, 08:02 AM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
This suggests to me not personal might but effective as in "exerting force or influence"

But the ring adds to one's power of dominion not whoopassness.

So my above about effective power.

But we agree Fin would win
the way i think of Sauron is a bit like Hittler here was a man of no real particular power (hey he wasnt very tall was he) whom a good deal of us could beat in a fight but he had massive armies at his control and will.

Sauron would never of been as powerfull as Morgoth. Even Sauron wasnt the greatest fighter (wasnt his style) a balrog was probably better at acctual hyand to hand combat than sauron but this is all opinion.

The fact is Saurons ability to fight wasnt great (he allways lost a point which should not be forgotten) the ring did not inhance his fighing so much is was designed simply to control the minds of his servents.

Fingofin would win
Old 03-06-2003, 01:10 PM   #20
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
The fact is Saurons ability to fight wasnt great (he allways lost a point which should not be forgotten) the ring did not inhance his fighing so much is was designed simply to control the minds of his servents.

Fingofin would win
Hmm maybe Im the only one here who doesnt see Sauron as some big softee who is all hot air. Hes maiar after all. I think he would be quite an opponent nevermind the ring or any of his magical abilities. But that aside the ring wasnt JUST about mind control of his minions. It also amplified his aura of fear and intimidation. Most creatures of middle earth cant even deal with being in the same space as him without being violently and helplessly over come by fear and hopelessness. ala the nazgul. Even great warriors trembled and cowered (and probably peed themselves) when they were around. Everything seemed hopeless. Then when they passed things seemed better somehow. Thats a mighty weapon in my book. Its hard to fight someone when yer too busy having a psychological breakdown after all. Now that being said Fingolfin as angry as he was when he went after Morgoth and being a Noldar may have been able to resist this fear auara of Saurons and make a match out of it. But I think a lot of people are writing poor old Sauron off much to easily.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote