Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

1st & 2nd Edition of The Sil

I have the 1st & 2nd edition of The Sil and was wondering what all changes were made?

I know the Kings of Numenor and what it says in the Preface to the 2nd edition, but I have never done a chapter by chapter comparison.

I don't care if it's the smallest detail, I'm just real curious about all the changes made.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #2
Findegil
Elven Warrior

I am also very interrested in this topic. So is there nobody out there that had read both Edition?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, I read most of it in the first edition, and then completed reading it in the second edition (I had to give the 1st ed. back to my dad!), but it was a somewhat difficult read for me, and I didn't notice anything different, aside from the new forward stuff.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #4
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I have them both, but I haven't finished the second edition yet (I'm only at "Of the Sindar").

The most notable (and only) change I have noticed so far is the new foreword from The Letters...

Last edited by Falagar : 04-03-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #5
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I have read both, but have never noticed anything different other then the Kings of Numenor. But in the Preface of the Second Edition Christopher say,
Quote:
I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only) of The Silmarillion. Chief among those that concern the numbering in sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor.
From the way it sounds to me is that there were changes other than just the Kings of Numenor. I have no idea, i haven't noticed anymore, but that is why I posted the question, to see if anyone has. But that might be all that was changed.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

I would imagine that they were small 'mistakes' nothing major, though as C.T later realises he made a quite a few more major mistakes in the publishing of his Silmarillion.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:56 AM   #7
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

I have read both, and there are no significant differences in the actual text. There may be a few very minor alterations, but none I noticed. The main difference is the very good letter at the beginning.