Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #1
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Origin of a Name (User Name)

I have seen some discussion in other threads about user names. I made this thread for people to tell the origin of theirs.
The one I use on this forum is emplynx. It comes from the computer stragety game Outpost 2. The Lynx was a form of a assult vehicle and the EMP (electromagnetic pulse) was a weapon you could have on it. Hence, emplynx.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Well, uh . . . I think mine's pretty obvious. Am madly obsessed with Frodo, etc, etc.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 01-20-2002, 04:46 PM   #3
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Look in the archives there was a post with the same purpose in there I suggest looking at it for some of the older users names.

Mine is Quneyan for Carden the Mightiest Dwarf
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

My name was one of those spur of the moment things...I had a longer one, but I didn't like it. So I shortened it to Renille, which I liked alot better.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Old 01-20-2002, 05:39 PM   #5
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

My name is the shortened verison of my email address (justwatchingthefireworks) which comes from the name of a song by Jimmy Eat World, a favortie band of mine. The song is Just Watch the Fireworks, and its very pretty. =) The number is just random.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Well, uh . . . I think mine's pretty obvious. Am madly obsessed with Frodo, etc, etc.
Considering you have him in your bed and all...
Old 01-20-2002, 06:03 PM   #7
Alethes
Enting

I think Alethes is Greek for truth, true, or some form of the word.

I like the way it sounds (or at least the way I pronounce it, since I can't speak Greek) and the meaning, so I just picked it for my username.
-Proverbs 22:11
Old 01-20-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
Frodo's Girl
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

I think my name is pretty obvious too! That is since I looove Elijah Wood(Frodo)!!
Old 01-20-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
gdl96
the greg the admin

gdl is my initials. My first name is Greg.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:04 PM   #10
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx

Considering you have him in your bed and all...
That was pure coincidence! I had no idea!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 01-20-2002, 08:22 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul Origin of JerseyDevil

My user name comes from a New Jersey legend dating back from the early 1700's. Supposedly in 1735 a woman - Mrs. Leeds of Smithville was having a 13th child. She was tired of having children and cursed it during childbirth and said "I wish it was the devil" At which point when the child was born it sprouted wings - killed several people in the birthing room and flew out the window. Ever since it has terrorized and been seen thourghout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. There are of course several variations on the legend - but that its the most common one.

The devil stilll resides in New Jersey within the forests of the Pine Barrens that cover nearly 1/3 of New Jersey. We used to tell horror stories about the Jersey Devil on the school bus - so I decided to use it as my user name. Also because I love New Jersey.

That, by the way, in case peope don't know - is why our professional hockey team is called the New Jersey Devils. It has nothing to do with the satanic variety - although I am waiting for an outcry from the hard core religious people.

If you want more info - check out this website -Devil Hunters

Also there is a cool movie called the Last Broadcast - it came before The Blair Witch Project and is much better - but it's about a couple of people in search of the New Jersey Devil.
Last Broadcast DVD

Oh here's a website for the Pine Barrens - for those that think that NJ is just paved from end to end and has no trees. NJ Pine Barrens

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-20-2002 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:25 PM   #12
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

hehe http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...highlight=user

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 01-20-2002, 09:30 PM   #13
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

This thread is cool, we have all new users and that one is archived. Just thought you might want to read it.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 01-21-2002, 08:40 PM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Huh...

Wayfarer comes from the name of my Middle earth character, Edrandir the Far-traveled. That's something like 'Lone Wanderer' i.e. Wayfarer.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-21-2002 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:00 PM   #15
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Fartraveler
There are some interesting ways to divide that into syllables.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:24 PM   #16
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Because my favorite character is Sam Gamgee (When I used to go the Barrowdowns) I tried to put my name as just Sam but there was somebody over there who already had that name so I decided to add his homeland into my handle and thus Samwise Of The Shire.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 01-21-2002, 09:33 PM   #17
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by CardenIAntauraNauco

There are some interesting ways to divide that into syllables.
I wonder how you managed to quote something that wasn't in my post in the first place? ]: )
Old 01-22-2002, 04:46 AM   #18
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

obviously, mine comes from the fact that someone beat me to Aragorn.

Also, seeing that Arathorn gets good airtime during big Aragorn moments ("I am Aragorn son of...") it seemed to the next best thing

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Old 01-22-2002, 08:10 AM   #19
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Hehe, you're too slow you old gaffer, it's not my fault! Obviously my name means cheese in Spanish!

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:04 AM   #20
Lightice
Elven Warrior

My last name resembles Lightice, in Finnish. It doesn't mean it, though, but I've adapted it as my tag in most places of the web.