Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Aragorn's claim to the Throne of Gondor

One of his ancestor's Andruvi (SP?) try the claim and failed. The reason being that Isildur left the throne to his nephew. and they chose another from the of Elendil. ( a cousin to the former king I believe)

Why should Aragorn's claim hold? ( aside from Faramir being laid back) Was it becuase there was NO other of Elendil's blood around and of his military prowess.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:22 AM   #2
olsonm
Elf Lord

Arvedui also claimed he should be king because he married Ondoher's daughter Firiel. I think it might have been territorial on the part of the Council of Gondor. They actually never gave Arvedui a satisfactory answer. Arvedui gave up his claim to the throne(at that particular time, not forever) to keep from causing trouble. I think Faramir was the key. He knew that Aragorn had a legitimite claim to the throne.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:23 AM   #3
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Arvedui's claim was probably legitimate, as under Numerorean law descent could pass through females, and Arvedui was married to the only surviving child of the last real heir of Anarion. Also, Elendil claimed the kingship of both Arnor and Gondor, and the realms weren't split until his death The Dunedain of Gondor preferred to have one of their own as leader, not some johnny-come-lately from Arthedain.

Faramir recongnized that Elendil's heir was clearly the king of Gondor, and had no ambition of his own to speak of. Easy call for him, given how true the old bloodlines flow in Aragorn....he represents the very best of human, Elvish, and Maian bloodlines.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:26 AM   #4
olsonm
Elf Lord

Foul_Dwimmerlaik said it way better than me!
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:55 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Quote:
Originally posted by Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Arvedui's claim was probably legitimate, as under Numerorean law descent could pass through females, and Arvedui was married to the only surviving child of the last real heir of Anarion.
I seem to remember that Gondor found this claim less legitimate as under the Gondorian law descent could not pass through females. Could be wrong though.

As for Aragorn, I think there are more factors than Faramir. Aragorn did bring an army to deliver Gondor, that makes it little less easy to turn his claim on the throne down. Besides he was the only one left of the King's line, in Arvedui's time there were some other candidates in Gondor. And Aragorn could heal people and it was said that only kings could do that.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote