Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Timeframe of New Posts

It seems like things might pick up more around here, generally speaking, if "New Posts" updates didn't get so stringently culled every few hours. But I guess if this site doesn't care about ad revenue, then it doesn't really matter how much activity occurs.

Which is a rather passive-aggressive way to say "BEN! Please do something about "New Posts" updates!!" It kills the place when one has to literally hunt around for the latest replies/posts on every section because "there are no new posts."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Good point, Lotesse - I wonder whether it's possible for him to change it from 24 hours to 48 hours - if that would help?

There is also the problem that if you don't read all of the New Posts, they will still be gone next time you log on - you've had them on the list, so they aren't New to you any more.

And only if they are all gone, are you given the offer to read posts from the last 24 hours.

I don't know whether any of these issues are such that can be changed by altering some settings, or if they are hard coded into the software. In the latter case it's a bigger deal ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Varafinde, yeah! That's *exactly* what I was thinking to propose, if it could be changed from 24 to 48 hours. It would probably encourage more growth & activity from new Mooters, too, which would be GREAT to coincide with the coming years of Hobbit films.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Varnafindë

The Quick Link to Today's posts that Eärniel mentioned somewhere else is a help to some of what I talk about - but even that could be for two days rather than one, now that there isn't such a lot of posts any more.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

For me the 'new posts' feature is useful enough in its current form, especially when you're absent from the moot for more than one day. I have email-notifications for threads that I've subscribed to, but you'll miss new threads that way. And as a mod I want to see all things new as well.

But I must agree that the way it changes when you're logged in can be a real bother. Sometimes threads have already been removed from the 'new posts' list before I have had a chance to look at them because it updates regularly and quickly when you're logged in. So the first thing I now do when I log in on the 'moot is open 'new posts' in a seperate tab while I first look at my subscribed threads through the email notifications. That way I can still access new threads without having to search for them.

I am not convinced changing the 'today's posts' to 48h is going to be such a big deal. (Im' focussing on 'today's posts' because I have greater doubts for being able to do anything about the settings of 'new posts'.) Sure, I do think it can be useful to see back 48h instead of 24h. But I doubt it will actually do anything much for more traffic or bringing more new people to the 'moot. How often does one need threads that have been posted in just between 24h and 48h?

And there are several ways for you to find them relatively quick depending on how much time has passed since you logged in. For instance -but this only goes for threads you have participated in and not new threads- you can see in the user cp, under 'list subscriptions' all threads you have posted in all chronologically if you select 'view all subscribed threads'.

So the benefit I see in it, will be marginal at best. And pedantic though it may seem, if you change it to 48h, it ain't really 'today's posts' anymore.

That is as far as I think why we do not need to change it to 48h. But that leaves the actual technical aspect: can it be changed in the first place? I have my doubts, but I'll look into it nevertheless when I have some time.

That said, it would improve forum-use if there was some way one could search active threads back not just 48h, but to a week, two, a month, six. I don't think people would stay longer or post more because of that but it would make the forum more user-friendly.

Personally, I think something like best could best be achieved through the search-function. Now you can search back to pretty specific periods, more accurately than 'today's posts' or 'new posts'. But without a long enough search word, you get no results. It could be useful indeed if anything could be done about the search machine to allow it to look for posts or threads in specific periods without needing a specific search term or user.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Sometimes threads have already been removed from the 'new posts' list before I have had a chance to look at them because it updates regularly and quickly when you're logged in. So the first thing I now do when I log in on the 'moot is open 'new posts' in a seperate tab while I first look at my subscribed threads through the email notifications. That way I can still access new threads without having to search for them.
I do that too. And then I need to keep that tab open until I'm quite sure I've finished with that thread. If I close it and then want to open it again, I usually have to go down to the forum where it resides.

Quote:
And there are several ways for you to find them relatively quick depending on how much time has passed since you logged in. For instance -but this only goes for threads you have participated in and not new threads- you can see in the user cp, under 'list subscriptions' all threads you have posted in all chronologically if you select 'view all subscribed threads'.

So the benefit I see in it, will be marginal at best. And pedantic though it may seem, if you change it to 48h, it ain't really 'today's posts' anymore.
I agree, you would have to change the title to 'last two days' posts' then

But does this only work if I have subscribed to those threads? I don't subscribe to any threads - perhaps I ought to subscribe to my RP threads, but currently I don't - but would I see any thread where I have participated, whether I've ticked off 'subscription' or not?

Quote:
That said, it would improve forum-use if there was some way one could search active threads back not just 48h, but to a week, two, a month, six. I don't think people would stay longer or post more because of that but it would make the forum more user-friendly.
It might be that increased user-friendliness could contribute to getting people to stay longer. I know about one board where the lack of user-friendliness caused me to stick to the RP thread and not do much else there.

But I guess that there are other factors that would count more for getting people to stay.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I do that too. And then I need to keep that tab open until I'm quite sure I've finished with that thread. If I close it and then want to open it again, I usually have to go down to the forum where it resides.
Yeah, there's that too. That tab is usually the last one I close after a 'moot visit. It's not a perfect system, but coupled with 'today's posts' it's more than useable enough for me.

Quote:
I agree, you would have to change the title to 'last two days' posts' then
Yeah, doesn't quite have that same ring to it, does it?

Quote:
But does this only work if I have subscribed to those threads? I don't subscribe to any threads - perhaps I ought to subscribe to my RP threads, but currently I don't - but would I see any thread where I have participated, whether I've ticked off 'subscription' or not?
To post in a thread is an instant subscription if I recall correctly. So if you either just posted once in a thread, or specifically subscribed maybe without ever posting in it, both should be in that list. (I've just noticed I'm just 57 threads short of 4K of subscriptions )

Quote:
It might be that increased user-friendliness could contribute to getting people to stay longer. I know about one board where the lack of user-friendliness caused me to stick to the RP thread and not do much else there.
Might be. I'm not convinced that the effect will be at all noticeable. But increased userfriendliness in itself is a worthy goal.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Thank you so much, Earniel!! Oh, you are AWESOME. Yeah, it'll make a difference, I'm sure of it, but one must have patience. Build it, and they will come, right! Oooo I'm so excited about this!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

As long as you don't have the expire until visited, all is good.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post
Thank you so much, Earniel!! Oh, you are AWESOME. Yeah, it'll make a difference, I'm sure of it, but one must have patience. Build it, and they will come, right! Oooo I'm so excited about this!
Oh hey, no need to get all excited yet. I said I'd look in to it when I have some time to spare. But that doesn't mean that it a) can be done, b) can be done by me and c) will be done.