Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Books of the Eastern part of Middle Earth....

I was just curious if anyone knew of or could point to any books that spoke of the Eastern part of Middle Earth, as in beyond the Realm of Mount Doom and such. I read another post somewhere talking about the Istari and how 2 of the Wizards were said to have delt in the East and I was wondering about that. Also, I have thought about the other lands in Middle Earth that I haven't read about, specifically the extreme South and the extreme East, outside of brief things I've read on a website or two...
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:50 PM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Have you read the Silmarillion, or Unfinished Tales? Both of those talk about different places, like Valinor and Tol Eressea, and Numenor, etc. Also, they talk about ages before the LotR (LotR was in 3rd age), which are quite interesting.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:30 AM   #3
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

In Volume 12 of HOME, Peoples of Middle Earth, there is an essay called "Dwarves and Men". It talks about how during the second and first age, there was an alliance between Dwarves and Men that fought with Easterlings.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

I haven't read any of Christopher Tolkien's published works, except The Silmarillion, so can't comment on any references to the east there might be in there. However, in The Lord of the Rings there is a reference to the east during Frodo's temptation on the Hill of Sight above Parth Galen at the end of "The Fellowship of the Ring":
Quote:
Eastward he looked into wide uncharted lands, nameless plains, and forests unexplored.
Some of the Istari went east and disappeared, as you know, and Saruman, it's said, I think in the appendices, went east for a bit before he came back and settled down in Isengard. What have you heard about the South? I know that Aragorn went there, and indeed led the forces of Gondor against the Corsairs of Umbar there while he was in disguise and serving Denethor's father. Also there's a bit about that part of the South in The Silmarillion, as it was quite important to the Numenoreans.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:13 AM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
Have you read the Silmarillion, or Unfinished Tales?
I've read about half of Sil, I actually need to pick it back up, but haven't cracked Unfinished Tales yet, but I do plan too, thanks for the info.

Are they others as well?

Basically, the entire point of this thread is because in everything I've come across with Tolkien, the East and extreme South are hardly touched on and I've always wondered what the rest of his world was like, ya know?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-08-2003, 05:25 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Silmarillion also talks about how Men were origionally from the East, I believe where the last two wizards ended up.

Dragons are from the North.

And don't forget Beleriand...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Eothain
Enting

LOTR

have u tried the unfinished tales.

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've never read the Unfinished Tales. Right now I should be reading anthropology and biology textbooks.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:40 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: LOTR

Quote:
Originally posted by Eothain
have u tried the unfinished tales.
Not yet but I am planning on it. Once I finish Sil I am gonna get Unfinished Tales and HoMe
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen