Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2003, 03:02 AM   #1
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

The Silmarillion: Ch 7: Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor

Chapter 7 - Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor

Overview of Chapter 7

This chapter of the Silmarillion encompasses the making of the Silmarils by Fëanor, the lust of Melkor for them, the lies spread among the elves by Melkor, the banishment of Fëanor from Tirion for threatening his half-brother Fingolfin, and Melkor's departure from Valinor after Fëanor cast him away after perceiving his lust for the Silmarils.

General Comments

I feel that Fëanor was too hasty in confronting his half-brother, although no doubt the lies of Melkor fired the flame in his belly. I was surprised Fëanor actually listened to Melkor, since Melkor had already committed evil deeds and had spent three ages in bondage. I think the Valar were right in banishing Fëanor from Tirion, for the lies of Melkor and his wroth for his half-brother would only grow in Fëanor’s heart. Although it is all too easy in retrospect, I think that Fëanor’s actions in this chapter all but make it a certainty that Melkor would wreak the destruction of the Two Trees, and steal the Silmarils.

Links

I did not have the opportunity to consult any of The History of Middle-earth. I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) that some relevant material can be found in The Book of Lost Tales Part I and The War of the Jewels. I did happen to find some pretty pictures:

Map of Aman: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/3465/map_aman.jpg
Map of Valinor: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/3465/map_valinor.jpg
Morgoth: http://www.nightrunner.com/cgi-bin/s...y?id=1923&pn=0

(I just checked these links, and the two map links are not working at the moment. Hopefully they will be working soon.)

Discussion Points

In this post I will raise some points that I thought were interesting. I would invite others to raise points which they think are relevant.

It was said that:

Quote:
For Fëanor, being come to his full might, was filled with a new thought, or it may be that some shadow of foreknowledge came to him of the doom that drew near; and he pondered how the light of the Trees, the glory of the Blessed Realm, might be preserved imperishable.
Did Fëanor foreshadow the destruction of the Two Trees by Melkor and Ungoliant? If Fëanor possessed such precognitive powers, why did he not foreshadow the destruction the Silmarils would ultimately cause?

Quote:
As three great Jewels they were in form.
Is there any significance in the fact that three Silmarilli were made? Has it something to do with the three themes of Ilúvatar, or something else?

The next paragraph says:

Quote:
But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made.
All right, I admit, I don't quite understand this passage. When the Sun passes and the Moon falls, the Earth will be unmade as well (I assume, but perhaps I’m wrong). The elves are bound to the Earth, so I thought when the Earth is destroyed, the elves would die. After all, the destruction the Silmarils caused, surely it would be a good idea to never real their substance, lest another tragedy occurs.

More:

Quote:
And Varda hallowed the Silmarils, so that thereafter no mortal flesh, nor hands unclean, nor anything of evil will might touch them, but it was scorched and withered; and Mandos foretold that the fates of Arda, earth, sea, and air, lay locked within them. The heart of Fëanor was fast bound to these things that he himself had made.
We know the Silmarils ended up in the sky, the sea, and the earth in the end. Yet Mandos says the fates of Arda. This seems to me to foreshadow a time in the future when the Silmarils will again play a role in the fates of the creatures of Arda. Will the Silmarilli play some part in the destiny of the world? How will this occur? Will the Silmarils lost in the sea and earth be found again?

*continued next post*