Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I was rather surprised to read that Melian possesed 'the foresight of the Maiar' since so far the Valar have not seemed to possess all that much of it and I kind of doubted the Maiar could differ substantially from them in this aspect.

For the Valar everything, expecially related to the Children of Illúvatar, would be new and unheard of for them, even if they must have perceived these things before in the Music. I suppose it's a sort of survival instinct, otherwise life on Arda must have been relentlessly boring for the Ainur.

But still, here is Melian who does have foresight and uses it well to make sure Beleriand is defended when the attack on their peace eventually does come. Good for her. Still, she remains a surprising enigmatic figure all the same.

Another thing that stood out to me this time was the mention that since the destruction of the Trees no news had come from Arda to Middle-earth either through messenger, rumour or dream. Which means that before there must have been a communication and a continuous one!

It gave me pause because I had assumed both lands had been rather isolated from each other at this time. So perhaps I have judged the Valar's abandonment of Middle-earth too quickly? If there was an exchange of news and tidings there must still have been an interest. It can't have been only the Eldar because I'm fairly sure they would have lacked the means. So that means more Maiar and Valar still travelled to Middle-earth at this point than I previously assumed.

So perhaps Aulë did still travel to Middle-earth and eventually got to teach his Dwarves once they had awoken. I couldn't understand beforehand how he would never appear to have given them a second thought after their creation while his impatience then had seemed so large. Now it makes more sense that Aulë did tend to them after their Awakening and the removing of the Eldar to Aman. That would also explain how the Dwarves even knew of Aulë.

But I do wonder why he didn't bring some of them to Aman with him. He must have liked the thought? Or did he fear the predicted strife between the Elves and Dwarves too much to bring Dwarves into contact with the Aman Elves? He likely didn't have bothered, the Noldor and the Dwarves eventually hit it off in Middle-earth far better than with the Sindar.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote