Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #38
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Still on my re-read of the Silmarillion, although I be taking a short break for some travelling.

This re-read I was struck by the fact that though the Valar after long debating decided to bring the Elves over, they really go badly about it.

First there's the bit where they learn the Firstborn will come when Varda's new batch of stars are up and when that happens they don't even post a look-out and only discover the Elves by mere chance? What's up with that? They (and the Elves) were so lucky Melkor didn't come down on the Quendi harder when he became aware of their presence first. I wonder why that is, though? He could have had the entire Elven race under lock and key before the Valar even realised. Why didn't he? Why only the few lies and monsters to keep them penned at CuÃ*vienen? He had the strenght, opportunity and motive but oddly not the drive.

And the other huge mistake is that only Oromë is accompanying/leading them and each time his attention is elsewhere the Elves's host are haemoraghing participants to pretty spots of Middle-earth continually. What was keeping the other Valar waiting in Aman, surely they could have sent more representatives and guides? They'd have to notice they misplaced Teleri all over the place.

You'd think the Valar would a clue a) this plan wasn't working efficiently at all and b) the Elves really liked Middle-earth and no amount of monsters roaming in the shadows could keep them from staying. Because while at one hand you do get the impression that Melkor's monsters are everywhere and kept the Elves at CuÃ*vienen, but on the other they seem oddly absent when different Elven groups break off and strike out on their own.

Or did those Elves already possess more self-defence methods, maybe learned from Oromë? If he was smart he'd have taught them about hunting gears and weapons necessary for the march indeed.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote