Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion > The Silmarillion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Two things stood out to me this time.

One, in this chapter Ilúvatar speaks up with Valar several times, with Aulë and Manwë. I suddenly wondered: would he speak this way to Melkor too? It obviously was in his power and Melkor would not be able to hide from Ilúvatar the way he could avoid his Valar-siblings. We will never know because there is no way this would pas into the stories but it makes me wonder if Ilúvatar ever talked to Melkor directly after he entered Arda. I'm leaning somewhat towards thinking he would have.

Two, Aulë goes back to Middle-earth to make the Dwarves. He manages to do this unseen and also unhindered by Melkor and his beasts. He can built some hidden forge there where he can fashion the Dwarves and likely this took him some time because it is not really his expertise, it's more Yavanna's terrain to begin with. It kind of adds to my question why the Valar couldn't stay in Middle-earth in the first place!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote