Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-16-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

Question about ice cream

I was sitting in my room enjoying a bowl of "fudge revel" ice cream when this question occured to me. Is that popular variety, Mackinac Island Fudge, only available in or near Mackinac Island? Through the years, I myself have only ever lived very close by, so I have no way of knowing. Do they have Mackinac Island Fudge in Florida? in California? in New Jersey? How many of you even know what "world famous" Mackinac Island is? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it's literally been bugging me for years. Thank you for your time.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I haven't heard of Mackinac island, nor have I had your tasty ice cream. I hope that... um... helps?

Where is Mackinac island? Why is it famous?

About ice cream, nothing beats Sweden for the best ice cream ever. EVER.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Mercutio

Mackinac Island is off the coast of Michigan/Canada in the Great Lakes. It's really neat...I was there a few years ago. I've never heard of the ice cream though, there or around where I live (mid-Atlantic region).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I reckon I need to buy a large tub of ice cream. All for myself. Never done that before. Fattening.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh my God, Andúril, that's too much ice cream! Please don't die!

Mackinac Island is a tourist place having to do with a fort from old days, stuff like that. There's no cars, only horse and buggy (or more popularly, bicycles and snowmobiles) and there's lots of fudge, hence the name for tourists "fudgies". I lived there for a long time. It's advertised as world famous, but I don't think it is too much. They seem to know about it in Jamaica, Mexico, and the Phillipines though, because a lot of workers come from there every year.

If any of you are ever in the area give me a call. ^_~ All the best stuff the tourists don't know about.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I visited there in 1999, summer. The hotel is where 'Somewhere in Time' was shot with Christopher Reeds and Loreena Mckennit (sp?), anyway, the hotel was old but really cool because of it. The fudge isn't anything spectacular in comparison to good fudge found anywhere else.....but fudge of couse is awsome all on its own, eh!

I use to live in western michigan below Traverse, I'm going to visit the island again this fall or next summer, hopefully, so I can stay at the hotel...

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
Oh my God, Andúril, that's too much ice cream! Please don't die!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Mackinaw island is in MI and is where SIT was shot. I've no idea where Mackinac is and no I've not run into that dessert in Az, Tx, La, FL, Va., NY, or DC
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
The hotel is where 'Somewhere in Time' was shot with Christopher Reeds and Loreena Mckennit (sp?), anyway, the hotel was old but really cool because of it.
You mean it starred Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour? Elise McKenna was one of the main characters. I don't even like that movie but it's sooo popular on the island. You can buy things like Somewhere In Time mousepads. (oh, and you didn't answer my question. ^^; )

I like the Grand Hotel. I like the pool there too.

Andúril, perfect response. Glad to see you're still among the living.

EDIT: Thanks, Spock. I think it's looking like Mackinac Island Fudge ice cream is a regional treat. I had always taken it for granted that everyone knew what it was. Then again I guess then I was little I hardly realized that the world didn't actually revolve around me and my own area. I guess I understand how people had such a hard time with heliocentric theory.

Last edited by katya : 07-18-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
EarthBound

Quote:
You mean it starred Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour? (oh, and you didn't answer my question. ^^; )

Couldn't remember her name properlly, thanks.

Well, I've not seen in in WA, OR, CA, IA, NE, NY, VA, VT, NH, WY, nor Maine, but that doesn't mean it wasn't sold "somewhere's" in the state(s). Likely, it's a regional thing....Mauii has their own dessert special too (yummmmy too), macademia nut tripple chocolate pie......[drools all over keyboard]....that's it, lets all go on a international dessert tour!

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Last edited by EarthBound : 07-18-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Andúril, perfect response. Glad to see you're still among the living.
Thanks. On my way home from the office tonight, I'm going to pop in at the shop and pick up some ice cream. With fudge in it. Ooh. I'm getting pretty hot just thinking about it. I hope I don't spill any on my chest, or abs.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound

Well, I've not seen in in WA, OR, CA, IA, NE, NY, VA, VT, NH, WY, nor Maine, but that doesn't mean it wasn't sold "somewhere's" in the state(s). Likely, it's a regional thing....Mauii has their own dessert special too (yummmmy too), macademia nut tripple chocolate pie......[drools all over keyboard]....that's it, lets all go on a international dessert tour!
Thanks, and yes! And international dessert tour sounds wonderful! If you like maple syrup, there's some maple syrup dessert here too. Like maple syrup fudge.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #13
EarthBound

Quote:
Thanks, and yes! And international dessert tour sounds wonderful! If you like maple syrup, there's some maple syrup dessert here too. Like maple syrup fudge.

Oh, MI is where I first encountered homemade maple syrup, they have it over here in Vermont and New York too...good stuff, oh yeah! Love Maple 'anything'...great, now I'm hungry!

Happy to be here

Old 07-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #14
katya
Elven Maiden

Me too. ^^; We have some ice cream in the freezer...hmm.....

What's the deal with Turkish delight anyway? I remember trying it at a country fair once but I can't remember if it's from Turkey or not. That was really good though.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:43 PM   #15
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Never heard of Mackinac Island Fudge Icecream, but if you describe the ingredients I can tell you if they sell it here under a different name
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #16
katya
Elven Maiden

It's basically vanilla ice cream (though I've had it with mint- very tasty. ) with swirls of fudge in it, much like my fudge revel ^ and it also has small chunks of fudge, about the size and shape of the cookie dough pieces in chocholate chip cookie dough ice cream. Well, usually. I've seen it in different shapes but that's how I think of it. It's really nothing that special. It's good though. I used to always save all the fugde pieces and eat them all at once.^^
Old 07-20-2005, 12:33 AM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Mackinac? Sounds vaguely familiar for some reason, but I can't say why... And I hate to say it, but you'll have to put Alabama down as another state that's never heard of Mackinac Island Fudge.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #18
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
but you'll have to put Alabama down as another state that's never heard of Mackinac Island Fudge.
Yep, I lived my whole life in Georgia and Florida and have never came across it. I would assume the same goes for the rest of the south.

...but it does sound yummy

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

-------------------------------------------

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..we don't gets much o' that northern stuffs down hea