FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2003, 07:50 PM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Media reporting GOOD news

Eventhough I have oft brooding demeanor, here is something that
some of you less-somber types might like:

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Afro-Elf - don't you know, good news doesn't sell. Peopla want to see suffering, stabbings, gun fights, people acting like assholes to each other. That's what people like to watch - so that's what the media shows. Just look at the reality shows if anyone wants to disagree.

It is good that someone actually put "good news from around the world" together though.

It's funny how this wasn't reported -

Quote:
600,000 offenders will be released from prison in 2002. Because they were not rehabilitated, half will commit a serious crime within 3 years. But this summer, Attorney Gen. John Ashcroft announced $100 million in grants to fund programs that turn convicts into citizens by providing newly released people with job and life skills training, education, substance abuse treatment and careful monitoring.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-26-2003 at 08:03 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:18 AM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
assholes
im surprised the censors didnt catch that. doesnt that mean i can use it

i remember watching bowling for columbine and your guys news was like murder,stabbing so on and ours was "breaking news! new speedbumps" that made me feel pretty pathetic:P. but down here we have some pretty bad news obviously cuz it sells but there is lots of good new too
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:27 AM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
im surprised the censors didnt catch that. doesnt that mean i can use it
You can only use it when it's not directed at someone.
Quote:

i remember watching bowling for columbine and your guys news was like murder,stabbing so on and ours was "breaking news! new speedbumps" that made me feel pretty pathetic:P. but down here we have some pretty bad news obviously cuz it sells but there is lots of good new too
Bowling for Columbine as I have said - is itself a sensationalized thing. It also plays on the same emotions of over blowing the truth. We have good news too of course, but people would rather see over sensationalized stuff. People would rather here over and over again about the Lacey Peterson case than they would about more important things.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 04:41 PM   #5
Ruinel
Banned

That's why crap shows like Jerry Springer still exist. (It still exists, doesn't it? )

But bad news does sell. You are right, JD. Too bad, because it gives the world the impression that the US is going to hell in a handbasket, all high school kids carry knives or guns to school, everyone is on drugs and we all commit violent crimes against one another. Sorry to break it to you all, that's really not the way it is here at all.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hey, you should think yourselves lucky. For years here we had an obligatory slot in every news bulletin for some heartwarming tosh about a granny renewing her bus pass or some such pish.

Worse, they had a built-in production system for such trivial items: the Royals. We'd get a nice clip of the Duke of Edinburgh offending some tribe, or Fergie and Di sipping champers on a ski slope while the rest of us slog away at our meaningless lives in the drizzle and pay our taxes to fund their lifestyles.

For some reason, this no longer happens and we only hear about the Royals when their houses burn down, they break a hip or die or get caught smoking dope or something. A much improved state of affairs.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 09-27-2003 at 05:02 PM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:50 AM   #7
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

I'm only going to quote what a friend of mine told me and leave it at that.

On imitating a news anchor: "In international news, people are killing each other. In national news, prople hate Bush and are killing each other. In local news, nothing much happened, so we drove around until we hit a pedestrian."

Not that I'm saying people actually do that, it's just that the news goes out of their way to find bad news so they'll sell better. I'm shutting up now.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Good website. Heartwarming, and all that.

Bad news sells because it's dramatic. It's not proof that people are inherently evil or anything, just that people working in the news need exciting headlines. Good news is rarely exciting: bad events often come out of nowhere, or if they're long-standing trends they can be presented as a pressing crisis. Good news is often slower, less immediate and unquantifiable (like "this number of people have not died today"), so in an age of instant news it gets pushed out.

Actually I think the media, at least in the UK, does report a lot of good news (with obvious exceptions like tabloid newspapers). I find the BBC irritatingly chirpy at times
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

like the song says... "we love dirty laundry"