Old 06-24-2000, 09:10 PM   #1
IronParrot

Chicken Run = excellent!

My review from <a href=http://nicktheshadow.tsx.org/>my messageboard</a>:

Quote:
JUST TELL ME IF IT'S GOOD OR BAD

This one is a gem.

PROS

I'm not a big fan of Claymation. I don't pretend to be. I'm not all nuts about it like I am with CG animation. However, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with Chicken Run on all levels.

First, the animation. On a technical level, it's spectacular, or so it seems to me - as I mentioned, I'm just an ordinary layman when it comes to Claymation, and not a nitpicky know-it-all bastard like I am with CG who pays attention to every damn texture.

Thankfully, and much to my delight, this film succeeds where Dinosaur completely flopped: it isn't all looks and no substance. In fact, this film has about as much substance as I've seen in an animated film. The wittiness of the screenplay, the closeness of the characters to the audience that gets developed throughout the story, and even the general premise itself is marvelous. In that respect, I found this film to be even better than last year's The Iron Giant, and probably even on a level with the absolutely adorable masterpiece that was Toy Story 2. It's good to see that Pixar isn't the only animation studio with half a brain on the creative staff, and that Aardman is still in action.

The premise, while based on elements that are clearly from Babe and A Bug's Life, emitted the distinct impression of originality. Farm animals trying to escape their destiny as a future Tuesday night dinner - that's from Babe; a resourceful, cunning leader of the bunch who erroneously relies on a fradulent circus performer for help and eventually gets everybody to end up building an aircraft - that's obviously from A Bug's Life. But when the two are combined, you get the work of art that is Chicken Run. Using the medium of Claymation, the already soaring charm of this film that comes from this premise is magnified tenfold.

The screenplay is witty as hell. Although the characters are written around simple frameworks, one grows to cherish them individually simply because of their exaggerated dominant traits. Fowler, the RAF veteran rooster and Babs, the hen with a peculiar penchant for knitting were two of my favorites. The voice acting only served to hold up to the script and keep the consistency of the tone of the film dead-on perfect.

Chicken Run is one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a long time - and to add to that, it's not just funny, like films such as Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me. It has substance and meaning. It speaks of life and death situations. It speaks of the meaning of freedom. It speaks of honesty. And best of all, the serious moments do not take away from the comic feel of the film; in fact, the two are intertwined seamlessly.

The musical score? Well, in short, I'm buying the soundtrack as soon as I can get my wings - er, hands on it.

This is one lovely, charming film and it is certainly worth several repeat viewings from me. It's a pity that most people will overlook this gem. If there is any justice in this world, Chicken Run will be remembered as one of this decade's great classics.

CONS

There's a few overly cartoonish implausabilities here and there - not to spoil anything, but how Mrs. Tweedy could take all the punishment she did in the last twenty minutes or so of the movie and still survive is rather stunning. And the pie machine featured in this film is certainly quite the work of fantasy. However, these setbacks aren't really even setbacks at all, because the nature of the film is rather cartoonish unto itself. The entire concept of intelligent scheming chickens is implausible, yet hilarious. ("It's all in me head.") So this is not really a bad thing, but simply filler for the CONS section.

OVERALL

I'd have to say Aardman laid a golden egg with this one. If you liked A Bug's Life, you'll love Chicken Run - and I adored A Bug's Life.

This is truly THE animated film to see this year. I await something to top it.
Old 07-05-2000, 08:39 PM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: Chicken Run = excellent!

I too thought Chicken Run was a brilliant masterpeice, though I don't agree that it is better then my favorite animated film of all time, The Iron Giant. It was by far the funniest movie I've seen this year.

Just a few discrepancy's with your review. Chicken Run echoed Babe and A Bugs Life because it is a joke on the type of movies they are roughly based on, POW movies. Chicken Run was originally made as a spoof on The Great Escape, but it definately moved away from that plot in some respects and became a masterpeice unto itself. Also, you seem to slightly dislike the impossibility of the machine that makes Pies. I can see you really aren't a fan of Claymation. These bizzare and admitadly (even by its creator) impossible machines have been around since the first Wallace and Gromit short. Though I can't for the life of me remember Wallace and Gromit's creators name (I'm so embarrassed since I love his work!) I can tell you that this influence in his films came from his father, who was a bit of an ammature inventor.

I too loved Babs, and thought her incessant knitting was one of the best parts of this film. Chicken Run was a masterpeice and you should all watch it, don't be scared away by thinking it's a kids film!
Old 07-06-2000, 11:44 AM   #3
anduin

Nick Parks.

Tater did you see the documentary (haven't a clue what station it was on, since I saw it in Amsterdam......probably BBC) that was done on Parks, Aardman, and Dreamworks? Parks talked a lot about his dad's influence and his "workshop".

I almost forgot.....has anyone seen "Creature Comforts"? It is a short movie where Parks interviewed people (about what, I have no idea and it isn't really important) then used the audio for the voices of animals in the zoo. It is absolutely brilliant....but the sound quality for some reason is terrible. Still, it is well worth a look. In fact, I am going to go and watch it right now.
Old 07-06-2000, 02:02 PM   #4
Darth Tater

I didn't see either. I did here a great interview with Parks on Fresh Air with Teri Grose (sp).
Old 07-06-2000, 02:56 PM   #5
captain Tarpols

i don't think that i'm gonna see that movie.
Old 07-06-2000, 08:15 PM   #6
anduin

How come Tarps??
Old 07-06-2000, 08:49 PM   #7
captain Tarpols

because, if i see it, then i won't want to eat anymore chicken. also, i'm not to fond of clay animation
Old 07-06-2000, 11:36 PM   #8
thrawn96

I like Burger King advertising campaign. "Save The Chickens...Eat a Chopper"
Old 07-07-2000, 02:15 AM   #9
anduin

That's "eat a whopper". Maybe you were trying to be funny, but I just don't get it. :P
Old 07-07-2000, 02:43 AM   #10
etherealunicorn

Hehehe, yeah, that is a good commercial.
Old 07-07-2000, 07:34 PM   #11
thrawn96

You sure you saw the comercial, Anduin? When the Chickens are holding up the sign saying "SAVE THE CHICKENS", end when the car rides past, they turn their signs around to say "EAT A WHOPPER", but one of the chickens forgets to turn around his sign, so the message reads "EAT A CHOPPER".
Old 07-07-2000, 08:46 PM   #12
Darth Tater

I ate chicken the day after I saw that movie. The characters look like classic Nick Park characters, teeth and all, and don't really bear that much of a resemblance to a cooked chicken.
Old 07-08-2000, 11:50 AM   #13
anduin

Really Thrawn? I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. I will look for it next time.
Old 07-31-2000, 11:37 PM   #14
bmilder

I saw this movie today. It was good. I didn't think it was incredibly excellent or anything but it wasn't bad. If the wife didn't believe that the chickens were intelligent, didn't she notice that they were wearing clothes and glasses?
Old 08-01-2000, 02:28 AM   #15
IronParrot

It's Claymation, it's not supposed to be plausible.
Old 08-02-2000, 08:21 PM   #16
Darth Tater

Ben, I'm really beginning to question if you understand what a joke is

That was a joke
Old 08-09-2000, 11:19 PM   #17
Jonce

In an interview on British TV the creators of Chicken Run said that they are working on a second movie. They never said whether it was a sequel or a Wallace and Gromit flick but they gave the impression it a brand new storyline.
So how long have we got to wait for it?? 3, 4 years?

Jonce
Old 08-10-2000, 12:44 AM   #18
anduin

I think I saw that while in Amsterdam on the BBC. They are going to make a full length Wallace and Grommit eventually. I think Aardman has a contract with Dreamworks for something like 6 or 7 other movies. I am not sure how many of them are to be Wallace and Grommit movies though. I hope that they bring back Wallace's love interest...what's her name...the one that owns the yarn shop.
Old 08-10-2000, 01:00 AM   #19
IronParrot

I think they said they're doing a Claymation "twist" on "The Tortoise and the Hare" before even thinking about a W&G feature or a Chicken Run sequel...
Old 08-11-2000, 11:26 PM   #20
Jonce

Tortoise and the Hare would be quite cool.
You Americans won't know this but they did some adverts for British Gas quite a few years ago (any Brits wanna back me up?). And one of the characters was a tortoise, he looked really funny with teeth and that. The only other character I can remember was a parrot.

Joncehttp://www.geocities.com/angryroach/smilies/freak3.gif