Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
KL70
Hobbit

Of the 3 extended edition films,which one is your favorite and why?

Of the 3 extended edition only LOTR films on blu-ray, which is your favorite film and please say why.
KL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

The Two Towers! Théoden is the true star of the films in my mind and that one really fleshes him out in terms of being both a great leader and a down to earth realist who has to do what he can for his people. I've watched that one twice as often as I have the other two.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Fellowship of the Rings!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hmmmm. For me it might be Return of the King, because I love the imagery of the beautiful, white city contrasted with the grimy, fallen areas, and I also love the brief scene between Gandalf and Pippin when they're under attack and they think they're about to die, and Gandalf is speaking about death. Very moving.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Definitely I'd have to say The Fellowship of the Ring. I feel like the movie really captured the innocence and naivety of the Hobbits and even the hope of the Fellowship. Not to mention the scenery and the music I felt was really well done, especially The Road Goes South scene with the epic Fellowship theme - I just feel is really special because you never hear that theme as strong ever again. Without a doubt, I think the extended version of the Fellowship is the best, followed by the Return of the King.
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
shesabrandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Dave_in_Denver
Sapling

I liked the Fellowship better. It followed the book more then the others. It is a shame that Mr. Jackson and crew decided to wander away from the books so often.
Dave_in_Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #7
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Return of the King for me

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #8
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Fellowship of the Ring. It was pretty decent all the way through and relied less on CGI. Two Towers is 2nd. I always seem to fall asleep during Return of the King.

Of course, my EEDVDs have been gathering dust on the shelf. I only find myself watching these movies when I happen upon them on free to air tv, and then I only watch until the next commercial.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Fellowship, for sure. I was just seventeen when I went to see it in the theater, an ardent Tolkien fan already, and was just blown away. When the EE came out, I was almost as thrilled by the added content. It's version of The Council of Elrond was just superb.

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #10
Mari
Elf Lady

Fellowship, but mostly because it's the "lightest" film. You can watch it and still feel good at the end, though it's bittersweet.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Didn't you just love it when you first saw it in the theater? It was, like Joni MItchell sings, "Every fairy tale comes real"

Susie
“Faërie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.” - JRRT. "On Faerie-Stories"
Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It was amazing! There were a lot of non-Tolkien things in the movies, but I just kind of ignored them and enjoyed the things that they got right.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I would have to say Return of the King. I felt like they put a lot more of the little things in, like the scene with the statue of the king whose head had been replaced by an eye. Honestly I don't really know what's NOT in the extended editions, but I will say this - I hated that PJ felt he had the authority to just remove the Scouring of the Shire from the story. That was one of my favorite parts - all the trials the Hobbits had undergone sort of came to fruition in that section and I was downright sad it was removed.

I did have hopes that it would be in the extended edition, but alas.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #14
Nerwen
Elven Warrior

Yeah, that spoiled ROTK for me, too. Worse than leaving out Tom Bombadil