Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

LotR Prequel: The Hunt for Gollum

I came across this somehow in my online search for the text of one of Tolkien's poems (Kortirion Among the Trees). The movie is very well-made, and for the most part well-written. I'm sure you all will feel a little less inspiration, enthusiasm, whatever you feel-when watching it because the words and story are not Tolkien's. Overall though, they did a good job. Plus we can watch it for free in HD online.

"Made by fans for fans."

http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/updates.htm
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oh, I remember that movie. Think there was a thread on it earlier... Ah yes.

Still haven't seen it, although I meant to. But the computer with the best video-card isn't always attached to the internet, and I keep forgetting to watch when I have the installation in place. Must try and remember for next time.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Tinman
Enting

I was let down. For one, I didnt like the director using jacksons world (I would have preferred a unique vision). Also, in the end, its just another dumb action flick. It went from interesting to... "let me guess... aragorns going to fight 40 orcs... yep... there he goes).

I dunno. Not horrible for what it is, but it could have actually been art instead of imitation.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I did notice just how much they were going for the Jackson thing, but I didn't mind it too much.

What I did mind was that the whole thing felt like they were just plodding their way through a LOTR checklist.

Strider smoking in the corner? Check.
Back and forth between two Orcs? Check.
Ominous near-brush with a Black Rider? Check.
Forty Orcs? Check.
Hallucinatory vision of Arwen? Check.
Actual battle with a Nazgul? Check.

Etc.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

IT was kind of oddly fascinating because of all of the Jackson LOTR images they were trying to get in. A few good moments, but ... eh. But thanks for the link - it was kinda interesting to watch

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

LOL!!! Rian!!!

I think that reply goes down as the most half-hearted gratitude ever .

I concur with your assessment though. Kinda interesting to watch, but definitely 'eh'.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yeah ...

I typed the first two sentences, then re-read it and ... well, it's just my upbringing that if someone says they like something, you don't just go and blast it if you don't like it.

Anyway, that was perhaps maybe a little rather kinda sorta too much half-hearted? (maybe?)

(I watched a minute, then came the "eh", but I ended up watching the whole thing because it was kind of like a morbidly fascinating hunt to find all the copies of iconic movie moments. Having Strider with his hood over his face and the glowing pipe and eyes was just TOO over the top of a copy! That was the worst one. )

Yet ... yet ... as a Tolkien and LOTR lover, you just can't help watching ... there might just be that one moment that touches something in your heart ... and it's worth it for that. Tolkien's ME stuff is so beautiful, it's worth hunting among ... well, not-so-great-stuff for the chance of coming upon a diamond ...

ANYWAY, I do appreciate Elleth sharing the link with us

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Rían

[whisper] and Arwen needs a nose job! [/whisper]

*whistles innocently*

Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Yet ... yet ... as a Tolkien and LOTR lover, you just can't help watching ... there might just be that one moment that touches something in your heart ... and it's worth it for that. Tolkien's ME stuff is so beautiful, it's worth hunting among ... well, not-so-great-stuff for the chance of coming upon a diamond ...

ANYWAY, I do appreciate Elleth sharing the link with us
Agreed. And thanks for the support, Rian. I actually didn't take anyone's comments as a blasting-although I have deserved a blasting before-no, I will NOT post the link to my blast-worthy words!

I know that the movie was a copycat and a little cheese-fest, but it is an LotR prequel, isn't it? And for being made by fans and for no profit, I think it's pretty good. Like Rian, there's always some moment that "touches my heart" (if that's what it does), and I'm always happy to go through a crappy movie or difficult book to find it.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Peregrina_Took
Hobbit

I watched this couple days ago. Yeah, I muttered a lot about Gandalf looking like a bearded lady and Arwen looking like a punk rock star in robes and prothsetic ears. But considering it was made by a group of fans, I think it's pretty good. They did a better job than I would have.

Last edited by Peregrina_Took : 10-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Peregrina_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

For the price I paid, I liked it quite a bit. I like Born of Hope a little better. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited by Mark of Cenla : 05-27-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Mark of Cenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf Born of hope was a decent effort for the price I paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark of Cenla View Post
For the price I payed, I liked it quite a bit. I like Born of Hope a little better. Peace and goodwill.
Born of hope was a decent effort for the price I paid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qINwC...layer_embedded
http://www.bornofhope.com
Seems a bit similar to life in the Middle Ages in Europe. (Minus the orcs and elves. )

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Born of Hope - Screening in the Netherlands

Regarding Born of Hope:

Quote:
Born of Hope - Screening in the Netherlands

On Saturday, April 28th there will be a Born of Hope screening in the Netherlands. This will be to celebrate the fourth novel by Kim ten Tusscher who as well as being a novelist was also part of the Born of Hope crew. She was the one who designed and made the wonderful banners amongst other things. NB. notice the nine (blue) ships of the faithful in the banner to the right. Everybody is invited to this event. For more information, you can take a look at her website: www.duisterlicht.nl (the website is in Dutch). You can also send her an email at kimtentusscher@yahoo.com. Kim's first novel "Hydrhaga" will be available in English later this year.
From the Born of Hope / Actors at Work Productions newsletter

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 04-03-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: adding title
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote