Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf Voice of Witch King from 1980 Animated ROTK

Does anyone know who did the voice of the witch king from the (Arthur Rankin, Jules Bass) cartoon Return of the King 1980?

I tried to do a search, but I could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help in advance.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
FirstClassRanger
Sapling

I searched for a bit. Seems he was uncredited. I'd check the actual DVD credits and extras, as well as the case... but a friend has mine.
FirstClassRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Alcuin
Salt Miner

As a rule, IMDB (Internet movie database) publishes this. Perhaps this level of detail is now only available from their for-pay service.

A Google search on this subject brings up this thread as item # 9 and on the front page.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
As a rule, IMDB (Internet movie database) publishes this. Perhaps this level of detail is now only available from their for-pay service.

A Google search on this subject brings up this thread as item # 9 and on the front page.
Thank you both (Alcuin/FirstClassRanger) for your replies.

I did try imdb, but I did not find a credit for the WitchKings voice.

Perhaps it will be found on the VHS/DVD copy of RB's ROTK.

I am curious since the voice sounds similar to what I have heard in other animation cartoons.

(Interesting how this thread is now up to nine in a Google search.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 01-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

The voice might have been that of Don Messick.

I did a little further work on this. In the IMDB comments, there is one subtitled “One Word: Stupid” from 13 August 2006, that says
Quote:
Eowyn gets to kick the Witch King (a.k.a., Scooby Doo)'s butt.
Don Messick voiced the character Scooby-Doo, and he is listed on IMDB for the 1980 film version of Return of the King, but without naming the role he played. I think, if the (tart) commenter was correct, he voiced the Witch-king in that film.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I watched the DVD version of that last weekend, and I really did not like it at all. The animated Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are both OK, but ROTK was pretty bad IMHO. Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
It seems the name wasn't published back then when this thread was started, but the name is there now.

John Stephenson is credited for the voice of the Witch-King. And Mithrand1r's hunch was a good one - he has indeed voiced quite a few cartoon characters.

Don Messick who has been mentioned above, apparently voiced the Mouth of Sauron.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
It seems the name wasn't published back then when this thread was started, but the name is there now.

John Stephenson is credited for the voice of the Witch-King. And Mithrand1r's hunch was a good one - he has indeed voiced quite a few cartoon characters.

Don Messick who has been mentioned above, apparently voiced the Mouth of Sauron.
Thanks for the information Jonathan.