Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2000, 01:10 PM   #1
andustar

trivia game

ok ive no idea if this will work since ive only done it in e mails before, but... i'll give it a try, ok?

it goes like this: someone takes a sentance out of lotr (not from appendixes or forwards or anything, only the main text)

they put it up and we have to find it in our books and give the next sentance as proof.

now its not that simple, there are some rules to it - it must be at least one full sentance, but the difficulty can range from 'eleventy one years are too short a time to spend among you' to 'but they do' . if its easy like bilbo's speech, you don't need to give any help. if its very difficult like 'but they do' then you need to tell either which which of the three volumes it comes from, or from the six smaller books, i leave it open to you to chose. just don't be unreasonable! (the person who did it with me by e mail gave me 'but they do' with no hints at all and it was impossible)

i think thats about it, i'll start it off with an example, from the Fellowship of the Ring:
'if simple folk are free from care and fear simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so'
then you would say that the next sentance is
'that has been the task of my kinderd while the years....' you don't have to give more than that, its just proof that you found it

ok i'll give an easy one for the first time. from book four
Into the stronghold of the enemy in the north, into Dol Guldur, he had once ventured.

if no one answers in a week then whoever put it up must give the answer and a new quote.
want to try?