Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-14-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
Aldhelm
Sapling

Saddest Moment In Tolkien

What do you lot think is the saddest moment in Tolkien's Work?
I would say that either the death of Theoden or the descent into evil of Gollum would be the saddest in my opinion.
and battle sharp, which
he carried on his mail,
and cut the dragon
through the middle.
The enemy fell--strength
had driven out life;
the two kinsmen, together,
had cut down the enemy.
So should a warrior do.

Beowulf
Aldhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

A version of your second suggestion:

Quote:
Gollum looked at them. A strange expression passed over his lean hungry face. The gleam faded from his eyes, and they went dim and grey, old and tired. A spasm of pain seemed to twist him, and he turned away, peering back up towards the pass, shaking his head, as if engaged in some interior debate. Then he came back, and slowly put out a trembling hand, very cautiously he touched Frodo's knee- but almost the touch was a caress. For a fleeting moment, could one of the sleepers have seen him, they would have thought that they beheld an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin, and the fields and streams of his youth, an old starved pitiable thing.
But at that touch Frodo stirred and cried out softly in his sleep,
and immediately Sam was wide awake. The first thing he saw was
Gollum- 'pawing at master,' as he thought.
"Hey you!" he said roughly. "What are you up to?"
"Nothing, nothing," said Gollum softly. "Nice Master!"
"I daresay," said Sam. "But where have you been to- sneaking
off and sneaking back, you old villain?"
Gollum withdrew himself, and a green glint flickered under his heavy lids.....The fleeting moment had passed beyond recall.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 03-14-2004 at 07:30 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

When Treebeard sees that many of his forest trees near Isengard have been cut down and burned.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:35 AM   #4
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

The saddest moment for me is when Sam comes home and says "I'm back"
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:37 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

cause it's over?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

yeah
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:09 AM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

You poor baby!

Oh yes...when the party tree gets cut down. Those tree bits really get me!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

For me it is definitely when Frodo is finally back home in Bag End, and he realises that he can never go back to his life before the ring came to him. Oh, and the fact that Gollum never gets redeemed.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:27 AM   #9
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I know this is predictable… but the saddest moment for me is Gandalf's 'death' Every time I read it or watch it I cry, evne though I know full well he's not *really* dead…
Old 03-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Oh, and the fact that Gollum never gets redeemed.
I always saw Gollum getting the Ring - his goal, and then accidentally destroying it as redemption.

That is a really sad part Mrs. Maggot, it's very moving. The sad part is you know the Fellowship thinks he's dead, and he was such a good friend to all of them in different ways, especially Frodo, Aragorn, and Legolas.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:35 AM   #11
Beor
founder of the color blue

The saddest moment in all of JRR Tolkien's work that I have read for me is in the Fall of Gondolin, when Echtilion (Sp?) takes Gothmog down in the fountain. I freakin cried, for Christ's sake. The whole Fall is so well written and sad, I guess its just the whole mood of the thing. Glorfindel taking the plunge with the Balrog is a sad one too, though. That damn Morgoth!

If you mean in Lord of the Rings alone, I would have to go with the death of Theoden. I like that guy, its too bad he died.

On the lighter side, though, the funniest part is when Helm Hammerhand smites that fat dude outside of Edoras for allowing his pride to grow with his belly...heh heh..
Old 03-15-2004, 10:19 AM   #12
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Maggot
I know this is predictable… but the saddest moment for me is Gandalf's 'death' Every time I read it or watch it I cry, evne though I know full well he's not *really* dead…
I agree that's the saddest momment in LOTR. Specially after they get out Moria.

But in all Tolkien works the first scene that comes to my mind as the saddest is:
Quote:
But Húrin did not look at the stone, for he knew what was written there; and his eyes had seen that he was not alone. Sitting in the shadow of the stone there was a woman, bent over her knees; and as Húrin stood there silent she cast back her tattered hood and lifted her face. Grey she was and old, but suddenly her eyes looked into his, and he knew her; for though they were wild and full of fear, that light still gleamed in them that long ago had earned for her the name Eledhwen, proudest and most beautiful of mortal women in the days of old.
'You come at last,' she said. 'I have waited too long.'
'It was a dark road. I have come as I could,' he answered.
'But you are too late,' said Morwen. 'They are lost.'
'I know it,' he said. 'But you are not.'
But Morwen said: 'Almost. I am spent I shall go with the sun. Now little time is left: if you know, tell me! How did she find him?'
But Húrin did not answer, and they sat beside the stone, and did not speak again; and when the sun went down Morwen sighed and clasped his hand, and was still; and Húrin knew that she had died.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

This is a hard one. I'd say Beren's death. Or when Maglor and Maedhros have finally regained the Silmarils, only to discover how vain it was. Or when Túrin killed Beleg. Or the Aegnor/Andreth love story. Or ...
There are just too many to choose from.

In LotR I think it must be the death of Boromir.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:37 PM   #14
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

In LOTR's it would have to be when it ended. The very last sentence had me in floods. I just didn't want it to end.

Of course there is also the death of Smaug in The Hobbit - I loved that dragon!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:46 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

In the Silmarillion there were many sad parts, mostly surrounding death. The death of Beleg was one of the saddest. Also the death of Morwen. How she died sitting by Hurin and telling him that she would go with the sun. The death of Finrod was also sad in that you watched this powerful, kind Elven King become stripped of everything, his crown, his dignity, his clothes, and even his life at the end, and then to die in the great tower that he himself had built. The death of Fingon was also very sad for me, in that he died in such a horrible way. The list goes on.

Yes Artanis, the Athrabeth, also one of the most beautiful, yet saddest works of Tolkien.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think the death of Finrod was the saddest moment. Every time you read it, you feel it again.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #17
Aldhelm
Sapling

I never thought about the Simarillion. I found the deaths (there are so many arghh) of Fingolfin and Finrod to be very depressing.
and battle sharp, which
he carried on his mail,
and cut the dragon
through the middle.
The enemy fell--strength
had driven out life;
the two kinsmen, together,
had cut down the enemy.
So should a warrior do.

Beowulf
Aldhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aldhelm
I never thought about the Simarillion. I found the deaths (there are so many arghh) of Fingolfin and Finrod to be very depressing.
Although it was sad that such a great king as Fingolfin died and it was a vain effort on his part, he died in a great challenge and for a great cause, so it wasn't all in vain, because he wounded Morgoth seven times.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #19
Beor
founder of the color blue

I never really thought the death of Fingolfin was too sad. I always figured that would be a good way to go, fighting against the greatest enemy in Arda, and wounding him many times before you are crushed by his hammer. I would have mourned his passing, but not his death, it was a heroic death fitting a High King of the Eldar. I would think that seeing your king, a mere elf of Middle-earth, battle the greatest Vala ever would be a hell of a thing, even if he did die, which I would expect anyway. He got some hits in, and Morgoth never forgot the pain of them.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #20
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

The more I think about it, 5 of the top 10 probably come from the story of Turin Turrambar.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote