FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
P.G Wodehouse - World of Jeeves
James Joyce - Dubliners
I love Dubliners- "Ivy Day in the Committee Room" is my favourite, one of the best stories on politics ever written, though "The Dead" is the best overall story in the bunch.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Last Sunday I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is epistolary in form and I enjoyed it so much. Left me smiling.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #23
nasuada
Enting

I'm reading a book called the Shadow of the King.
It takes place in Anglo-Saxon England, and it is very good so far.
may the wind be always at your back,
may the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again may God hold you in the palm of his hands.

An Irish Blessing~

“If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large.”
~ William Wilberforce
nasuada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #24
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm re-reading The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. It was my favorite book in 6th or 7th grade, or whenever I read it. It's about the childhood of Merlin, and the later books are about Arthur.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
The Writing Life by Annie Dillard
The Christian Imagination Leeland Ryken

And always on my desk: On Faerie Stories by J.R.R. Tolkien
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #26
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I'm re-reading The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. It was my favorite book in 6th or 7th grade, or whenever I read it. It's about the childhood of Merlin, and the later books are about Arthur.
Yea, that and "The Hollow Hills" are great.

The last two go pretty well downhill though.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
katya
Elven Maiden

That's too bad. I was thinking maybe this time I'll read the others (the first time I started The Hollow Hills but didn't finish it). Who knows, maybe I'll like them better than you did though.

Things sure have changed since I read The Crystal Cave the last time. I remember spending literally hours on my WebTV trying to figure out what the sign against the evil eye was all about. Now it's all right there on wikipedia. I kind of miss being young and caring so much about things like that, though. Not the internet, things in books.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #28
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Well, your mileage may differ- #3, The Last Enchantment, is okay- just a big step down from the first two.

I remember watching the latest King Arthur movie and wondering why someone didn't make a movie of these two. Hollywood suits, I guess:

"Hey, that Gladiator was a big hit- what's some other old stuff we can do?"

First you start with a story....

Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #29
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Finished Crime and Punishment. SUCH an intense psychological portrait. Also some elements of Kierkegaard dispersed throughout. I was holding my breath to the very end of the epilogue, to see how Rodya would turn out.

I'm not sure what to turn to next. . . Foucault's Pendulum, a book claiming to contain "Representative Modern Plays" sitting on my shelf, Gilead. . . so many options. Or perhaps I'll just end up concentrating more on working through the Sonnets.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
katya
Elven Maiden

Did you like Rodya? A lot of people I've talked to didn't like him or couldn't forgive him.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #31
Gwaimir Windgem

I wouldn't say I liked him, per se, but my heart went out to him deeply, and I was longing to forgive him, waiting for him to permit it. It's unfortunate that we only see him when he's more or less withdrawn into himself; it would be a wonder to see what the depth with which he lived would have done in the outside world.

I really liked Sonya, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 06-02-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
katya
Elven Maiden

I never felt angry at him to where I would have to forgive him. There was nothing to forgive. But, as I've said before, I have strange tastes. It's been a really long time since I read that book (8th grade I'm pretty sure so like... 8 years ago) and I'd like to re-read it sometime soon.

I've been re-reading a lot lately. I feel like I have too many unfinished projects, and re-reading things I read a long time ago or never finished feels pretty good. So far, I've read Lady Chatterly's Lover (got about 3/4 of the way through the first time), The Great Gatsby (only ever saw the movie), The Crystal Cave (read in middle school, re-read and then read the rest in the series). I'm not usually one to re-read books because I feel like I should read new books. But, I think getting as much out of a book as you can is good, and getting deeper meanings out of them.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #33
Gwaimir Windgem

No matter what one thinks, even if, as Rodya convinced himself, there is no wrong in killing the "louse," the old pawnbroker, it was certainly wrong to kill her kind and unassuming sister.

But I would say that forgiveness and anger have nothing to do with each; I was never angry with him, I could understand him too well for that.

I know what you mean; it's a matter of finding the balance between breadth and depth. Some books just have to be re-read, though, whether because you're sure you missed something the first time through (the reason I'm re-reading Dante's Comedy), or because it speaks to in such a way that you feel the need to unpack more (the reason I've re-read Brideshead Revisited several times, and the reason War and Peace, Brothers K, and now Crime and Punishment are on my re-read list).

Of course, then, sometimes there are works which you re-read simply because the towering emotions are so exquisite that you feel the need to experience it anew, like King Lear, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #34
katya
Elven Maiden

Maybe anger isn't the best way to describe it. Well, think about it this way. There's another character who is one of my favorite characters, from Demons, by the same author, did some horrible things to a young girl. That, I actually had to take the time to try to forgive. I wouldn't say it made me angry, but because of an experience I had myself as a young child (which was really not very bad but enough to make me understand it), the feeling of "how could you do that? that's so horrible." was much stronger. I felt this character was less justified (in his mind). But anyway, not anger, more like disgust.

With Rodya, I hardly even thought about him killing the sister at first because it seemed like such a sheer accident, a reflex, or like something he didn't really mean to do and didn't want to do, but did out of fear. If someone just came along and killed her for fun, that guy I would have a problem with.

I never really feel like I've gotten everything I can out of a book. But sometimes, after I'd finished reading one, I would read the summaries and the discussion questions on SparkNotes. That helps. I've been wanting to form a book group around here. I'm already in one but I want to make my own too.

Last edited by katya : 06-02-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #35
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

While I've re-read most of Dosty's works several times at least, the one I've never been able to go back to is "Crime and Punishment"- and that's been over thirty years now. Maybe because it was the first one of his I read and the impact was so strong.

I remember I could only keep going at the time because I'd been told it had a "happy ending"- yeah, in the epilogue!

Maybe time to try it again.

Oh, and Foucault's Pendulum is great, though it takes a while to get into the swing.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #36
katya
Elven Maiden

My 9th grade English teacher tried to dissuade me from reading Russian literature when he saw me reading Anna Karenina. Said it's too depressing and it just gets worse right to the end. He encouraged his students to read Stephen King. NOT my favorite teacher.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #37
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Has anyone read any Robertson Davies?- Great Canadian writer, particularly:

the Cornish trilogy: The Rebel Angels, What's Bred in the Bone, The Lyre of Orpheus.

the Deptford trilogy: Fifth Business, The Manticore, World of Wonders.

small-c conservative with a strong streak of anarchy, Shakespearean scholar, High Anglican with a love of liturgy and a special affection for saints, lover of bawdy, art historian, writer of a libretto based on "The Golden Ass", monarchist, ironist, stern moralist, exponent of myth and magic- and very funny as well.

Brought to mind by this quote of his:

"A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight."

Last edited by GrayMouser : 06-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #38
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
With Rodya, I hardly even thought about him killing the sister at first because it seemed like such a sheer accident, a reflex, or like something he didn't really mean to do and didn't want to do, but did out of fear. If someone just came along and killed her for fun, that guy I would have a problem with.
Certainly, it was something he did out of fear, but he still took the life of an innocent human being, and it was, when you get right down to it, willful; nothing forced his hand. I was very surprised that that didn't come up more; perhaps because he couldn't reconcile it as easily as he could killing the pawnbroker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I never really feel like I've gotten everything I can out of a book. But sometimes, after I'd finished reading one, I would read the summaries and the discussion questions on SparkNotes. That helps. I've been wanting to form a book group around here. I'm already in one but I want to make my own too.
If there's a university library near you, it might be interesting to check out some scholarly criticism/interpretation. I find an academic mindset brings out a lot that one might easily miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Oh, and Foucault's Pendulum is great, though it takes a while to get into the swing.
That's what I'm leaning towards; I was given it for my birthday by a friend who says its one of his favourite books, so it should be worth checking out.

I've never heard of Robertson Davies, but he sounds like a fascinating individual. Sounds a bit like Roger Scruton. Anglo-Catholics are always so much more interesting than us poor Romans.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Certainly, it was something he did out of fear, but he still took the life of an innocent human being, and it was, when you get right down to it, willful; nothing forced his hand. I was very surprised that that didn't come up more; perhaps because he couldn't reconcile it as easily as he could killing the pawnbroker.
That makes my "heart go out to him", as you said. But other people I've talked to who have read the book could not forgive him for it at all and in fact hated him. I really need to re-read that book but I think I'm going with something non-fiction first since I've just finished The Crystal Cave. Sometimes if I like a fiction book it's hard to pick up a new one right away. Most of the time, actually.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #40
Gwaimir Windgem

I've just started Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex. So far, it's a great mixture of comedy and evocative classical references.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle