Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-23-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

My 10Kth post - Tolkien and a California Girl

Here it is – hard to believe, but true – 10k posts for R*an, the California girl who types like the wind!

I always wanted to make my 10k post about Tolkien and the people here who love his works, but then some people suggested something on California, so I decided to kind of blend the two.

SO – here’s a short history of this California girl who discovered Tolkien 28 years ago at a university in California.

As far as I can remember, I had some vague inkling of this Tolkien guy and the silly sci-fi/fantasy thing called Lord of the Rings before I went to college, but I had never read it, and I thought the people that read that type of thing were rather odd. I mean, “Frodo”? What kind of a name was that?!

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, near Los Angeles, loving math and science and horses and sports and reading. In my senior year in high school, I decided I wanted to go away to college, and picked California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo – far enough to be away from home (3 ½ hour drive) but close enough to come home for weekends, if I wanted to (like when the laundry piled up!)

I’ve been fortunate enough to have traveled a bit, and I still think San Luis Obispo is one of the prettiest places around. The college campus is set in some beautiful green hills, just a few minutes’ drive from a lovely, quiet beach, and has a quaint little town with a lovely mission when you want to get off campus.

My freshman year, I met a nice guy and started dating him. It got pretty serious, and since he was the poem-writing type, he wrote me a poem, saying I must have been a princess of Middle Earth, and that I had some Took blood in me. Well, I thought maybe I should check out this Tolkien guy, so I wandered over to the bookstore and bought LOTR. I was really surprised at how good it was! I especially loved Eowyn’s defiance of the Witch King, which is still one of my favorite parts. It was so beautiful! The writing was so strong, and passionate, and – I don’t know, I just thought it was a great book.

Well, that guy and I broke up, but I kept my LOTR books, and read them every few years. I even heard about this Silmarillion thing, and bought it, but couldn’t get into it very much – too many confusing names! But I would pull out LOTR every few years, and every time I read it, I would just be re-amazed at the depth and beauty of the writing. And I could never read the Eowyn part and the charge of Rohan without tears coming in to my eyes, much to my annoyance (I thought tears were a sign of weakness back then).

I graduated and moved back home, and went to work at a radar company as a software engineer in research/new product development. I met a wonderful guy and was fortunate enough to have him love me back, and we married, and started our family a few years later, and I quit my job to stay home with the kids.

Then came the movies. Yes, there are many parts that are horrible!! Yes, they really foul up some of the characters!! Yes, there are many wonderful parts that are left out. But … they got some things right, and after watching FOTR in the theater, it was like someone had punched me in the stomach and knocked the breath out of my body. I literally physically ached from the beauty that Tolkien had created, and that had come through visually, at least in part, on the big screen.

I started searching the Internet for all things Tolkien, and came across Michael Martinez’s informative and interesting articles, which I devoured. Then one day, I looked at the Tolkien links he listed, and noticed this Entmoot thing …

I just lurked and read posts for a while, then agonized over choosing my user name (I wanted Idril, but it was taken, so R*an was my next choice). Then I made my first post – and the rest, as they say, is history!

I met so many wonderful, interesting, intelligent, friendly people through Entmoot. I read the Sil and just fell in love with it. I learned about the books beyond LOTR and the Hobbit, and started buying them and enjoying them, too. Unfinished Tales, The Book of Lost Tales (where I fell in love with Tuor!), Letters of JRRT, Morgoth’s Ring, etc. etc. I taught myself to write in Tengwar and had great fun with it. I enjoyed discovering, and then taking sides in, the various “unsolved mysteries” (do elves have pointed ears? Do balrogs have wings?) I discovered the Quote game, and am still amazed at how we Tolkien geeks can figure out these quotes without referring to the books! It was just so wonderful to talk with people that knew and loved Tolkien’s works, and loved discussing the various nuances and back stories and histories and things like that. A place where you could say “don’t be so hasty!” and everyone knew you were referring to Ents! A place where you could talk about the Athrabeth and actually find people who knew what it was! It was like I had a pent-up flood in me that finally found an outlet, and I posted like crazy!

After about a year and a half, my Tolkien flood finally slowed down, and I started to discover the General Messages forum, where I was intellectually stimulated and challenged by people with radically different viewpoints than I had. And I enjoyed how we could hold a no-holds-barred (except no rudeness allowed!) intellectual discussion on things like evolution/creationism in GMs, then go over to the ME forum and laugh over a quote, or the Sil forum and discuss the question of why Tolkien used singing in the Ainulindale creation story.

So this California girl is really looking forward to finally meeting the great Professor one day, and thanking him from the bottom of her heart for keeping up the fight and getting such a great work to publication so others could be blessed by it, and how through his work, she got to know some absolutely wonderful people from all around the world. When I see the beautiful ocean off the coasts of California, I think of Eärendil and the Silmaril, and I always mentally wave across the miles to my friends over the water. When I see the lovely rolling hills around San Luis Obispo, I think of the Shire, and remember the bookstore where I first picked up those funny books, and how I though the author’s name was “Irr Tolkien” for years because the “J” was written rather stylistically and I didn’t realize it was the initials “J.R.R.”. When I see the stars at night camping in the mountains of California, I think of Varda and the Elves, the people of the stars. When I see the waterfalls in Yosemite National Park in California, I think of the beauties of Middle Earth. And I love the same God that Tolkien does, even though California is many thousands of miles from England, and I feel a fellowship with him in that area of life that is so special to both of us.

SO – thank you, God, for making such an awesome universe and such amazing, wonderful people; thank you, Professor Tolkien, for creating and sharing your beautiful stories with us; thank you, Ben, for making Entmoot; thank you, mods and admins, for keeping it in shape; and thank you, Mooters all, for making such a special experience in my life!

I’d like to try to work through the Entmoot members’ list alphabetically, through the next few weeks, and write a line or two about all the Mooters I know and special memories I have of each of you. You guys are so awesome! You are like a handful of shining, sparkling jewels, all different shapes and sizes and colors and cuts and intensities, and I treasure you all.

So Mae govannen - well met! - and I look forward to the next 10k posts!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-23-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Wow...that was an AWESOME 10,000th post. And thats a lot of posts! Cheers Rian...you inspire us all.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 10-23-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Congratulations! Now only 55,000 more to beat HOBBIT.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:09 AM   #4
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Cheers Rian! Here is to 50,000 more where that came from! Huzzah!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Congratulations R*an!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:25 AM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

R*an, you rock so very much.

Happy 10K! A Marathon of posting.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

'Gratz. Here's to another 10,000.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
Wow...that was an AWESOME 10,000th post. And thats a lot of posts! Cheers Rian...you inspire us all.
Agreed.

... best 10,000th post i ever read (or didn't - if you take my meaning)

Rian: a post worthy of the grand 10,000 landmark! .... i really enjoyed reading it, are you truly the second only to plant their flag upon this summit?

I know there are some "suspicious" higher post counts ... but is it only possibly even California and New Jersey that have really planted their house emblems on this highest of summits?

What's the view like up there? *imagines pure white snow sparkling, swirling brilliant blue sky with light feathery white clouds forming tolkieneque shapes - with some footprints leading off to a steep drop ... ( ) *

Later, when this thread has been widely read, i'd like you to post some, all or more of your moot experiences that you have so eloquently written about above, in the Jd syndrome and moot experiences thread ... but leave that for later.

Congratulations on the
BIG
10,000!

very best BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Congrats R*an, nice 10 000th post!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:58 AM   #10
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Congratulations with 10,000 posts, and this post was amazing!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:42 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I might have hit 10,000 if I hadn't had a Split Personality.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Congratulations on 10,000 posts Rian. And a great post to reach such a landmark on.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #13
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

BoP has a point - New Zealand should be up there together with California and New Jersey on the 10k summit

Congratulations R*an! Now don't slack off on your posting like BoP and JD did!
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #14
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

* blows nose *

Lovely piece, Sharon. Really, really lovely. When you do finally shuffle off this mortal coil, say hello to the auld prof from me (most likely I am going to be in "the other place" if you turn out to have been right all along )
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Beautiful! Congratulations!
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #16
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Congrats, Rian. That's... damn impressive.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Congratulations Rian! That was a lovely post
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Congrats, R*an! And a beautiful, fitting 10,000th post.

You inspire us all.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #19
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I might have hit 10,000 if I hadn't had a Split Personality.
Couldn't you ask Ben or another Admin to add you post counts for you?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think the real question is, could I be bothered... nah.