Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #121
Ruinel
Banned

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!I found it!! I know when Finrod was born: 1300!!! YES!!!!! I am QUEEN!! I rock!!! He was 195 yrs old when the Noldor took leave of Aman. *puffs out chest in pride* Found it in *drum roll* Morgoth's Ring (Dang I'm good) *pats self on back*.

However, I have no idea when "the tart" was born... and I have no interest in knowing. Find that yourself if you want.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:39 PM   #122
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Only 195 years old. He was very young then. So, how old was he when he died?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 09:20 PM   #123
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
He chanted a song of wizardry, Of piercing, opening, of treachery, //Revealing, uncovering, betraying.// Then suddden Felagund there swaying, //Sang in answer a song of staying, //Resisting, battling against power, //Of secrets kept, strength like a tower, //And trust unbroken, freedom, escape; //Of changing and of shifting shape, //Of snares eluded, broken traps, //The prison opening, the chain that snaps. //Backwards and forwards swayed thier song. //Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong //The chanting swelled, Felagund fought, //And all the magic and might he brought //Of Elvenesse into his words. //Softly in the gloom they heard the birds //Singing afar in Nargothrond, //The sighing of the Sea beyond, //Beyond the western world, on sand, //On sand of pearls of Elvenland....
-sigh.

Last edited by Ruinel : 03-17-2003 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:50 PM   #124
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Only 195 years old. He was very young then. So, how old was he when he died?
*sad/snif* He died in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, defending Beren from the werewolf *tear drops down Ruinel's face* in the Second Age in the year 465. He was a mere 665 years of the Sun.

I... can't *snif* talk about it... anymore... so............. sad.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:54 PM   #125
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
*sad/snif* He died in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, defending Beren from the werewolf *tear drops down Ruinel's face* in the Second Age in the year 465. He was a mere 665 years of the Sun.

I... can't *snif* talk about it... anymore... so............. sad.
Well, I know he died in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, but it was in the First Age. So where did you get that figure. I'll wait until you stop bawling. Would that be added to his 195 years or included? Sounds like he was under a thousand years old. that would make him younger than Legolas was when he joined the Fellowship.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #126
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

But also in Morgoth's Ring Tolkien says that 1 Year of the Trees was equal to 9.582 Sun Years. So he was 1,868 when he left Aman and 2,381 when he died.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:14 PM   #127
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Well, I know he died in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, but it was in the First Age. So where did you get that figure. I'll wait until you stop bawling. Would that be added to his 195 years or included? Sounds like he was under a thousand years old. that would make him younger than Legolas was when he joined the Fellowship.
Well, I had to look in book 11 of HoME... The War of the Jewels. Woops, YS = year of the sun, what am I thinking, I'm so distaught.
But the years start over... so, I just did the math... born 1300 until Fingolfin et al cross Helkaraxe in 1500 = 200 yrs. "the ages of the Stars were ended, and the time of the Sun and Moon was begun" starts with year 1 through Finrod's death *snif* in 465 in Tol-in-Gaurhoth. 200 + 465 = 665 years.

By the way, where did you get the info on Legolas? I always thought that Legolas was an afterthought of JRRT and didn't have much of a history at all (other than his father Thranduil and grandsire Oropher).
Old 03-17-2003, 10:23 PM   #128
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
But also in Morgoth's Ring Tolkien says that 1 Year of the Trees was equal to 9.582 Sun Years. So he was 1,868 when he left Aman and 2,381 when he died.
WOW!!! I completely forgot this! I AM distraught.

page 50:
Quote:
and each Year...is somewhat more than are nine and one half of our years (nine and one half and eight hundredths and yet a little).
I stand corrected.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:23 PM   #129
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, there is no actual factual number on Legolas' age. I think we have all assumed that he was a rather young elf when he joined the Fellowship. I think Michael Martinez has also written some essays and thing regarding all that is known of Legolas at Suite 101. All of the Legolas experts I have talked to hear and at SF-Fandom put Legolas to be about a thousand or a bit older. That would be young for an elf.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2003, 10:32 PM   #130
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Well, there is no actual factual number on Legolas' age. I think we have all assumed that he was a rather young elf when he joined the Fellowship. I think Michael Martinez has also written some essays and thing regarding all that is known of Legolas at Suite 101. All of the Legolas experts I have talked to hear and at SF-Fandom put Legolas to be about a thousand or a bit older. That would be young for an elf.
Hmm... I didn't think JRRT had given him much thought. He's sort of the "token Elf" in the Fellowship. Really wished it had been Glorfindel instead or maybe Voronwe... now there's an Elf with a history. (Or secretly, wished it had been Finrod... but then he would not have followed Aragorn around like a puppy either.)
Old 03-17-2003, 10:58 PM   #131
Ruinel
Banned

Just reworked the math for s & g's...

born 1300...in Aman, 1 yr in the light of the trees = 9.852 yrs in sun.
journey to Arda 1496 (assuming now that time is normal, since they leave Aman)... 1496 - 1300 = 196 yrs x 9.852 = 1930.992 yrs ... using sig figs... that's 1931 years.
age of stars ends 1500 add 4 years to that... 1935... then 465 years until ... well.. you know... 1935 + 465 = 2400 yrs old.

So, now back to the tart. I would assume that she was about the same age, because the alternative is unthinkable. As for the "not permitted" stance... Luthien was "not permitted" to take off after Beren and she did so against her father's ban. If she truely loved him... she would have gone with him. Period.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:09 PM   #132
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

So 2,400 years old. What would he be equal to in human age, like to a 30 or 40 year old man?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2003, 11:18 PM   #133
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
So 2,400 years old. What would he be equal to in human age, like to a 30 or 40 year old man?
Confused about the comparison? If the life expectancy of a Man is about 70 to 80 yrs. Then an Elf equivalent to 70 yrs old would only be ... 5000-ish years.

I don't think that age comparisons can really be made like that. Especially when they marry as early as 50 yrs. Besides, Elves are meant to live as long as Arda endures... much longer than 5000 years.