Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2003, 10:03 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Finrod and Amarie

In the Silmarillion it says:

Quote:
Now King Finrod Felagund had no wife, and Galadriel asked him why this should be; but forsight came upon felagund as she spoke; and he said: "An oath I too shall swear, and must be free to fulfil it, and go into darkness. Nor shall anything of my realm endure that a son should inherit."
In "Laws and Customs of the Eldar" it says that Elves usually picked their mates in childhood. And this person was who they remained with throughout all time until the end of Arda. We don't specifically know if Finrod and Amarie were married at the time he went into Exile, but we do know that she was who he loved, and apparently that happens only once in life for an Elf, nomatter what.

My question is: why would Galadriel ask him this knowing he was betrothed to Amarie even if they were seperated, knowing that he could, and would not choose another?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote