Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-02-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I get the impression you may fancy the Elf yourself. Could this be?
Geez Ruinel, you just haven't been around here long enough. Everyone here knows how I feel about King Finrod. Too bad he's not real.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:44 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Geez Ruinel, you just haven't been around here long enough. Everyone here knows how I feel about King Finrod. Too bad he's not real.
I've been around long enough to know that if Finrod were real that you and I would go at it in a a cat fight over him. lol
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I've been around long enough to know that if Finrod were real that you and I would go at it in a a cat fight over him. lol
You wouldn't stand a chance.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
You wouldn't stand a chance.
I'm lithe and swift and I fight dirty.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
and I fight dirty.
Most women do. I have great experience.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

A word of advice, Ruinel. Watch out for her little admin stick. She likes to hit posters with it.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
A word of advice, Ruinel. Watch out for her little admin stick. She likes to hit posters with it.
Yeah, you tell her Eärniel.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 07:03 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Back to the topic.

Ruinel, I wanted to make a comment on a post you made a while back about gildor being Finrod's son.

It could possibly be that he was just in the service of the house of Finarfin, but I have always thought he may be of that line somehow, because he was golden haird

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 07:20 PM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I just did. *moves well out of the way from the admin stick*

Quote:
It could possibly be that he was just in the service of the house of Finarfin, but I have always thought he may be of that line somehow, because he was golden haird
It's a pitty the Elven bloodlines are so muddled. It's not easy trying to figure out who's who's dad. No wonder Elves lived so long, they needed all that time to figure out their lineage.

I find it odd that the only blonde-haired Noldor would have to be descendants from Finarfin's house. Didn't Fingolfin have light hair too? I haven't got access to my Silmarillion right now but I always pictured him blonde too.
Old 03-02-2003, 07:41 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Fingolfin and Finarfin were brothers, but it appears that Finarfin and his children were the only ones to inherit the golden hair of the Vanyar from Indis.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 07:58 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
EEEKKK!!!

Then we will both agree that Finrod Felegund is the best Elf written by JRR Tolkien and leave it at that.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:04 PM   #12
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Fingolfin and Finarfin were brothers, but it appears that Finarfin and his children were the only ones to inherit the golden hair of the Vanyar from Indis.

Hmmm, good point. And since all of the Vanyar left ME and never returned. It is safe to say that he was not straight Vanyar. *scratches head*

Then why wouldn't he have said..."son of whomever, son of Finrod?" Instead, he uses an identification that doesn't directly connect to Finrod as a direct descendant... "of the House of Finrod," as "in the service of Finrod's family."
Old 03-02-2003, 08:27 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Hmmm, good point. And since all of the Vanyar left ME and never returned. It is safe to say that he was not straight Vanyar. *scratches head*

Then why wouldn't he have said..."son of whomever, son of Finrod?" Instead, he uses an identification that doesn't directly connect to Finrod as a direct descendant... "of the House of Finrod," as "in the service of Finrod's family."
When he identified himself to Frodo, he said"of the house of Finrod." That was meaning Finarfin. In later editions of LotRs that was changed to Finarfin, but before that, Finarfin was Finrod, and Finrod was Inglor. Now, see the simularities? Inglor, Gildor Inglorion. There is no hard proof to show that Gildor was Finrod's son, but he may have been of his line, and since Finarfin was the leader of that house, it would only stand to reason that Gildor would say: "of the house of Finarfin" when he answered frodo. One of the reasons I have always doubted that Gildor was the son of Finrod, is because he tells Frodo that they (the company of Elves) are Exiles. In my mind, that would mean that he may have been with Finrod in the following of Fingolfin across the ice.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #14
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
When he identified himself to Frodo, he said"of the house of Finrod." That was meaning Finarfin. In later editions of LotRs that was changed to Finarfin, but before that, Finarfin was Finrod, and Finrod was Inglor. Now, see the simularities? Inglor, Gildor Inglorion. There is no hard proof to show that Gildor was Finrod's son, but he may have been of his line, and since Finarfin was the leader of that house, it would only stand to reason that Gildor would say: "of the house of Finarfin" when he answered frodo. One of the reasons I have always doubted that Gildor was the son of Finrod, is because he tells Frodo that they (the company of Elves) are Exiles. In my mind, that would mean that he may have been with Finrod in the following of Fingolfin across the ice.
My version of FotR says "of the House of Finrod". I think you are right here, that he was with Finrod, et al, when they walked across the ice bridge to ME. Then he and the others in his company would have also been Exiles with the other Noldor. Perhaps he was of Finrod's line. (I may have a mental block to this. I never wanted him to get together with Amarie to begin with, she wasn't worthy of him b/c she wouldn't go into exile with him.)
Old 03-02-2003, 08:43 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I never wanted him to get together with Amarie to begin with, she wasn't worthy of him b/c she wouldn't go into exile with him.)
Well, again Amarie was not permitted to go with him. Tolkien talks about how young many of the Elves were at the time of the Exile. I would say that Finrod was young, but of age. Perhaps Amarie was still under parental control. Plus not many of the Vanyar were involved, or wanted to be involved in the strife between the Noldor and the Valar.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-02-2003, 08:51 PM   #16
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Well, again Amarie was not permitted to go with him. Tolkien talks about how young many of the Elves were at the time of the Exile. I would say that Finrod was young, but of age. Perhaps Amarie was still under parental control. Plus not many of the Vanyar were involved, or wanted to be involved in the strife between the Noldor and the Valar.
But there are stories where children disobeyed their parents to be with someone they truely loved (ie, Luthien). Despite what is written that she wasn't permitted to go with him, if she truely loved him, she would have gone with him and not have him face the perils of his journey alone.

Or, perhaps she was like a lot of other female characters that Tolkien wrote in his stories, meek, mild, obedient, and doesn't speak her mind. I don't know, I haven't read much about her. Only the one line in the Silmarillion.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:59 PM   #17
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
*hopes SGH and Ruinel knock each other out so she can run off with Finrod *

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #18
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Dang! I have got to get these books. Can you recommend which ones I should pick up first. That is, if I do not have to read them in order 1 through 12, then which ones are worth getting and reading first.
And Ruinel - definitely Morgoth's Ring, and "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth" *sigh*, because it looks like you're a First-ager, like me and the lady with the admin stick

I also liked The Lays of Beleriand, HoME 3, much to my surprise. Unfinished Tales is good. My next purchase will be War of the Jewels or Peoples of ME (I think HoME 11 & 12?) I have one of the LoTR HoMEs (The Treason of Isengard, HoME 7), and I did a lot of flipping pages, it just wasn't as interesting to me. I also have BoLT 2 (which is also HoME 2), which I liked because I'm a big Tuor fan, and "The Fall of Gondolin" is in there.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 03-05-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:15 PM   #19
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Then we will both agree that Finrod Felegund is the best Elf written by JRR Tolkien and leave it at that.
I always thought that FF was a wu**.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:35 PM   #20
Rían

Maedhros, solamente eres celoso (j/k!)