Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2004, 04:36 AM   #1
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Aragorn, Denethor, Theoden!?

I was wondering after reading through old threads on this site about Aragorns past. As it goes Aragorn traveled through Rohan and Gondor in his youth under the guise of Thorongil. It is even said somewhere that Denethor was, or seemed to be jealous of Throngil for his favor with his father Ecthelion. My question is; Do Theoden or Denethor reqognize aragorn as the man from their youth? Do they see him and remember him as Throngil? It doesn't seem that in the books they remember him. They need to be introduced to him again within The Lord of the Rings. Well, maybe just Theoden, I don't think Aragorn met with Denethor again. So what do you think? Would they have realized and remembered? Did they!?

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 09-12-2004 at 04:37 AM.
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Aragorn went to Rohan and ondor in disguise so I doubt that Theoden would have remembered him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Does it say disguise? I don't think thered would have been much point to it? No one knew his face before that so they have nothing to compare a secretive form to.

Ecthalion: Why are you wearing that silly Disguise Throngil!?
Throngil: Because sire, i didnt want you to discover that I am...
*Aragorn removes his plastic classes and fake nose to reveal*
Throngil: That I am Aragorn!
Ecthalion: Thats nice and all but, Who the H3ll is Aragorn!?

So he disguised his name because he knew it would be important in his future but he didnt disguise his face, I don't think. It doesn't seem plausible since he was very close with Ecthelion, Denethors father and Thengel, Theodens father. Not to mention Aragorn would not look much different since he ages slower than most humans on Middle-Earth.

*had to change Thingol to Thengel... it's 4:01 in the morning here and im trying to post in at least 20 threads right now *

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 09-12-2004 at 07:02 AM.
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:56 AM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain

Theoden's father is Thengel, Thingol was father of Luthien. Aragorn would have looked different. Think about how much time he spent in the wild.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Aragorn did not return to Gondor until after Denethor's death, but there seems little doubt that D. knew who A. was. His words about the "wild ranger from the north to supplant me" suggest to me that he was keeping up with Aragorn, possibly through the Palantir.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

From Appendix A....
Quote:
Therefore, later, when all was made clear, many believed that Denethor, who was subtle in mind and looked further and deeper than other men of his day, had discovered who this stranger Thorongil in truth was, and suspected that he and Mithrandir designed to supplant him.
And also, from The Two Towers, Aragorn speaks to Eomer...
Quote:
"Nor indeed am I a stranger; for I have been in this land before, more than once, and ridden with the host of the Rohirrim, though under other name and in other guise. You I have not seen before, for you are young, but I have spoken with Eomund your father and with Theoden, son of Thengel."
I don't think Aragorn did not expect to be recognised.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Aragorn did not return to Gondor until after Denethor's death, but there seems little doubt that D. knew who A. was. His words about the "wild ranger from the north to supplant me" suggest to me that he was keeping up with Aragorn, possibly through the Palantir.
Aragorn looked into the palantir at Helms Deep and that is where Denethor found out from. But that was the only time he looked.