FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #21
Laredith
Enting

Re: Re: C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy".

Quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Coruscant
Oh for cryin' out loud...

The Space trilogy is an adult fantasy series, yes, children can read them but it's difficult!

If you don't like the 'religion' references, don't read it. Most Christians decide that God gave them a gift and they use it for His glory, not their own.
Heh-heh...no, I wouldn't give it to a child. Remember the part with Ransom and...oh, darn it, I forgot his name. You know, the hross. How they are talking about mating...uh-huh, right. Somehow, I don't believe seven year olds are mature enough to read that (btw, amen about the last comment. I myself am a Christian fiction author).
Laredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:21 AM   #22
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I just finished Out of the Silent Planet and thought it was brilliant. Christian beliefs and theology aside, I thought his descriptions of the various alien cultures to be engrossing and their physical aspects as well, all were very detailed. Interesting ideas too, that our planet is a prison for the Bent One. I look forward to reading the next two in the trilogy.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:59 PM   #23
sun-star
Lady of Letters

It's a while since I read it, but I liked Out of the Silent Planet, though I can't say I understand all of it. I can't find Perelandra anywhere to read that, and That Hideous Strength was just... weird. It frightened me, too (I'm easily scared).
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-18-2002 at 05:06 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:07 PM   #24
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Sunstar, that's why I had to stay up all night to finish it. It was scary and I just couldn't stop in the middle. I'm easily scared too. Had to know how it ended.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:55 PM   #25
Entlover
Elven Warrior

It is scary -- I'll never forget that police woman.

Has anybody read Lewis' "Til We Have Faces"?

I can't agree that his fiction is darker than Tolkien's. They are both pessimists in the short run and optimists in the long run. But the Silmarillion's a lot darker than anything Lewis wrote. All of Lewis' stories end happily.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 02:17 PM   #26
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I recently read Perelandra and greatly enjoyed it as well. I especially liked his creation of the floating islands, it's one of the more original concepts I've read lately. The ending monlogoue with the Eldil and the King and Queen was a great read. I look forward to the third book but it seems like a lot of people find this one to be frightening.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:45 PM   #27
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by webwizard333
I I look forward to the third book but it seems like a lot of people find this one to be frightening.
It isn't really frightening, although it's definitely not for children. (There's a fair amount of stuff like brainwashing, sex (i.e. elephants mating, as I recall), murder, dismembered body parts, etc) One of the characters is a disembodied head with his brains bubbling out.
It's definitely memorable. But it was slightly disappointing in that it's got too many different elements in it: space travel, the supernatural(devil worship, angels), medieval wizardry (Merlin in the twentieth century) and arthurian legends, a police state, university life, and possibly others I can't recall. It might have been better if he'd concentrated on fewer subjects.
But it's worth reading.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:30 PM   #28
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Well, I finished it today after much putting off (I was annoyed with the lack of Dr. Ransom in the beginning), but I'm glad I read it. I agree with it being disturbing, though I found Frost to be far scarier than the police-woman Hardcastle. I do like much of his allegorical meaning in their about duty and the need and joy of obedience; but not nessecarily the equality part. Though it lacked any more travel between the planets I thought it was a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:06 PM   #29
Carafin
Elven Warrior

I just finished thet Hideous Strength a few days ago and it really got me thinking about all the unique symbols he used (Hardcastle scared me too, but so did Frost and Feverstone and Wither and...)and the whole idea of Logres and England got me into Camelot can anyone suggest some good books on Camelot?
thanx

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 11:43 AM   #30
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The Merlin series by Mary Stewart is excellent. It takes place from the perspective of Merlin, but it spans the Arthurian legend as well. I loved it, so I strongly recommend it.

I've read the space trilogy, and I think I have a few problems with C.S. Lewis writing style. It's simply not for me. But I did like the series pretty well, Perelandra especially.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:45 PM   #31
Telperion
Enting

I've only read "out of the silent plante" but i found it pretty wierd. i don't think i'll finish the series.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #32
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i just finished the first one yesterday really good book
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #33
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

I've only read Out of the Silent Planet. I actually bought it for a really low price, when the library was selling out old books, and Lewis' name caught my eye. I enjoyed it very much. I wish I could have the other two to read...
Old 04-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #34
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadanel
I've only read Out of the Silent Planet. I wish I could have the other two to read...
You should be able to get them at your library. They're all over the place; used bookstores have them too. Should not be missed, they are classics.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #35
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

I know you couldn't have seen it because I took it out of my profile a while ago... so psst, now I tell... I'm Hungarian.

I looked it up, and it seems I have a slight chance of finding Perelandra in used bookstores, because it was published in '95. It seems the third part hasn't been translated. And I have an even slighter chance of finding any of them in original English... But I'll keep looking.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #36
ecthelion
Enting

The cosmic trilogy

Is anyone here interested in the cosmic trilogy? Though less famous than narnia, it is in my opinion a better work. Maybe someone knows about another discussion forum about it?

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #37
inked
Elf Lord

see: http://www.entmoot.com/showthread.php?t=1583
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #38
ecthelion
Enting

Thank you, it seems I never saw that I am only looking on the last month threads...
And more to the point, the whole thread is about if its worth reading. I know it is!
I would wish to discuss some of the ideas, and compare it to tolkien. not in the details of the mythology, but in the larger aspects.

What does "LOL" mean?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #39
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

then your wish is granted ...

here you go ...start it off to your heart's desire Ecthelion!

best, BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #40
ecthelion
Enting

Why did the Oyearsu (of perelandra or Malachandra) not stop Weston's ship before it reached Venus-perelandra, as the Oyarsa of Mars-Malachandra promised Ransom to do?
That was a humble start to get the discussion going

What does "LOL" mean?

Last edited by ecthelion : 07-02-2006 at 03:46 AM.