Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
Jade of Mordor
Sapling

"Necromancer"

This might strike most of you as a stupid question, but I'm curious and I don't want to make the wrong assumption.

Was the Necromancer mentioned in The Hobbit actually Sauron? My friends and I were arguing about that, but I don't see how he could be anyone else.
Jade of Mordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Yes. I think there's some some stuff about it in The Unfinished Tales (it's been a while since I've read it).
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Yes it is Sauron. It is said also in LotR, appendix A, Durins Folk, and in Appendix B, The tale of years.
Btw, welcome Jade.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Jade of Mordor
Sapling

Ahh. Well, I haven't read the Unfinished Tales yet, and I probably missed a big chunk of the information in the Appendices of LotR. But thanks for clearing that up for me.

And thank you Artanis. It's good to be here.
Jade of Mordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 12:08 AM   #5
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Was the Necromancer mentioned in The Hobbit actually Sauron? My friends and I were arguing about that, but I don't see how he could be anyone else.
Something interesting about it is that, at the time of the Hobbit, there was already a vast work done about the legendarium. The Necromancer at first in The Hobbit was just an excuse that JRRT made for Gandalf to leave the party. He was later made to be Sauron.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:13 PM   #6
Tolman Muggworts
Hobbit

Yes, for a while I was pretty mystified about the whole Necromancer thing. After reading some other Tolkien books I got it cleared for myself. By the way where did you get that icon fom with Maedhros hanging from Thangorodrim?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

That avatar is made from a painting by Ted Nasmith. You can see all of it here.

(... hoping dear Russandol doesn't mind me answering for him)

Last edited by Artanis : 12-04-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:40 PM   #8
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Hello visitor...nice to see you...feel free to join!
Old 12-25-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

thats one of the things i love about the hobbit, that it mentions sauron(in the form of the necromancer).
well, does anyone have a suspicion that Tolkien planned the hobbit to be a lot similar to lotr?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:08 PM   #10
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by hectorberlioz
thats one of the things i love about the hobbit, that it mentions sauron(in the form of the necromancer).
well, does anyone have a suspicion that Tolkien planned the hobbit to be a lot similar to lotr?
My initial impression was that The Hobbit was written as an independent work seperate from the Middle-earth history, like others he wrote and read to his children (say, Roverandom), but it seems hectorberlioz may be onto something. In JRRT's long letter to Milton Waldman in 1950 there is this observation:

Quote:
The generally different tone and style of The Hobbit is due, in point of genesis, to it being taken by me as a matter from the great cycle susceptible of treatment as a "fairy-story", for children. Some of the details of tone and treatment are, I now think, even on that basis, mistaken. But I should not wish to change much. For in effect this is a study of simple ordinary man, neither artistic nor noble and heroic (but not without the undeveloped seeds of these things) against a high setting - and in fact (as a critic has perceived) the tone and style change with the Hobbit's development, passing from fairy-tale to the noble and high and relapsing with the return.
So the addition of the Necromancer may not have been wholly arbitrary. The immediate cause was an excuse for Bilbo and the dwarves to be on their own, but subconsciously may also have been a way of at least rudimentarilly tying the tale more firmly to the legendarium.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-25-2003 at 11:13 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:22 AM   #11
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by tuor of Gondolin
So the addition of the Necromancer may not have been wholly arbitrary. The immediate cause was an excuse for Bilbo and the dwarves to be on their own, but subconsciously may also have been a way of at least rudimentarilly tying the tale more firmly to the legendarium.
exactly what i was thinking.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:49 AM   #12
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
My initial impression was that The Hobbit was written as an independent work seperate from the Middle-earth history, like others he wrote and read to his children (say, Roverandom), but it seems hectorberlioz may be onto something. In JRRT's long letter to Milton Waldman in 1950 there is this observation:

It was written separately, because the first edition of the Hobbit, where Gollum and Bilbo meet was very different from what we know it today. When Tolkien began writing LotR, he had to change that chapter so he could make it work in LotR, with the Ring and all...

I believe, Tom Shippey, a Tolkien biographer, who wrote J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century goes on and speaks of it. In fact on one of the Extended Edition DVD's he is interviewed and discusses that point as well. I think it was on the TTT EE DVD...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #13
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

:

------------------------------------------------------------------

It was written separately, because the first edition of the Hobbit, where Gollum and Bilbo meet was very different from what we know it today. When Tolkien began writing LotR, he had to change that chapter so he could make it work in LotR, with the Ring and all...

Oddly, both observations may be correct. It is true that The Hobbit was written before LOTR, and as a children's story with a "Riddles in the Dark" scene much in needing of alteration later (The Annotated Hobbit describes the changes well), but I also seem to recall reading somewhere that JRRT observed that he found elements of Middle-earth creeping in unbidden. Ah, just found an instance, from H. Carpernter's Biography:
Quote:
The story began, then, merely for personal amusement. Certainly Tolkien had at first no intention that the bourgois comfortable world of Bilbo Baggins would be related in any way to the vast mythological landscape of The Silmarillion. Gradually, however, elements of his mythology began to creep in. Inevitably the dwarves suggested a connection, for 'dwarves' (spelt in that fashion) had played a part in the earlier work; and when in the first chapter of The Hobbit the wizard mentioned 'the Necromancer' there was a reference to the legend of Beren and Luthien. Soon it was apparent that the journey of Bilbo Baggins and his companions lay across a corner of Middle-earth which had its earlier history chronicled in The Silmarillion. In Tolkien's words this was 'the world into which Mr Baggins strayed'. And if the events of the new story were clearly set long after those of The Silmarillion, then, since the earlier chronicles recorded the history of the First and Second Ages of Middle-earth, it appeared that The Hobbit was to be a tale of the Third Age.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-26-2003 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Maedhros
The Tall

The Power of the Necromancer

From Morgoth's Ring: Later Quentas
Quote:
It is therefore a foolish and perilous thing, besides being a wrong deed forbidden justly by the appointed Rulers of Arda, if the Living seek to commune with the Unbodied, though the houseless may desire it, especially the most unworthy among them. For the Unbodied, wandering in the world, are those who at the least have refused the door of life and remain in regret and self-pity. Some are filled with bitterness, grievance, and envy. Some were enslaved by the Dark Lord and do his work still, though he himself is gone. They will not speak truth or wisdom. To call on them is folly. To attempt to master them and to make them servants of one own's will is wickedness. Such practices are of Morgoth; and the necromancers are of the host of Sauron his servant.
Some say that the Houseless desire bodies, though they are not willing to seek them lawfully by submission to the judgement of Mandos. The wicked among them will take bodies, if they can, unlawfully. The peril of communing with them is, therefore, not only the peril of being deluded by fantasies or lies: there is peril also of destruction. For one of the hungry Houseless, if it is admitted to the friendship of the Living, may seek to eject the fëa from its body; and in the contest for mastery the body may be gravely injured, even if it he not wrested from its rightful habitant. Or the Houseless may plead for shelter, and if it is admitted, then it will seek to enslave its host and use both his will and his body for its own purposes. It is said that Sauron did these things, and taught his followers how to achieve them.
Now we see why Sauron was called the Necromancer.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #15
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

lol i have a character on 'Diablo 2' thats a necromancer. Doesn't look much like sauron tho ....
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:03 AM   #16
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Tolkien already had a lot of source material for LOTR done when he wrote The Hobbit, so I suspect he was unable to avoid some connection between the two. Spending that much time creating a fantasy world would certainly make it tough to write a story in a different one. From what I recall, he had no idea The Hobbit would do so well, so I doubt he intended to tie them together the way he did.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:45 AM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Re: "Necromancer"

Quote:
Originally posted by Jade of Mordor
This might strike most of you as a stupid question, but I'm curious and I don't want to make the wrong assumption.

That's not a stupid question at all. It took me ages to figure that out. Sauron's fortrees as the Necromancer, I believe, was at Dol Gulder (sp?) in Mirkwood.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:05 PM   #18
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin II
Tolkien already had a lot of source material for LOTR done when he wrote The Hobbit, so I suspect he was unable to avoid some connection between the two. Spending that much time creating a fantasy world would certainly make it tough to write a story in a different one. From what I recall, he had no idea The Hobbit would do so well, so I doubt he intended to tie them together the way he did.
There was no intention to tie them together, because in the first edition of the Hobbit, the chapter with Bilbo and Gollum was completely different from what we now know it as being. He changed that chapter when he was writing the Lord of the Rings so it would work. That chapter was transformed so the Ring was more important and wasn't just a normal ring of power as it was first written. When it was changed it became more precious to Gollum and was later found to have been THE RING...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #19
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Have you ever read the original version? I'm interested to know whether it was different in any other ways.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #20
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Thorin II
Have you ever read the original version? I'm interested to know whether it was different in any other ways.

The best way to see is to get a copy of The Annotated Hobbit (annotated by Douglas A. Anderson).

Appendix A discusses textual and Revisional notes.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-09-2004 at 06:09 PM.