Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2002, 07:24 PM   #21
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Just to point out, this debate was not intended as an Was it all right to cheat? debate, but rather, did he? I preosnally don't think he did, but it's too much fun playing devil's advocate . . .

Th ebaseball point is not valid. The pitcher can't force the batter to swing. I just checked, and Biblo speciafically told Gollum that it WAS a riddle. Now let's look at it from Gollum's point of view. He had been alone for too long of a time, forgetting hw social systems and such work. His companianship consisted of a ring (which may or amy not have a personality). Then here comes Biblo. They play a game with very questioable motives, and Gollum who has lost all of his sense of right and wrong. Biblo tells him that the pocket question is a riddle and that he MUST answer it or lose. Does that sound fair, or does it sound like cheating?
Old 05-24-2002, 04:17 PM   #22
Bilbo Buns
Sapling

I don't think Bilbo cheated. Personally, I think Gollum is stupid. He should of just eaten Bilbo if he was going to anyway, but the riddle game was an interesting part of the story and Bilbo couldn't have died. If Bilbo had cheated, I wouldn't blame him if he was trying to save his life. Who would ever have known anyway? But I think Bilbo was just thinking out loud, and Gollum thought it was a riddle.

FRODO LIVES!!!
==================================================
Ancient Chineses proverb, "Learn to breathe, it could prove useful!!!"
==================================================
I once thought Yoda was just a crazed old prune. Then I saw Episode II! Go Yoda!!!
Bilbo Buns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:36 PM   #23
Nienna Grey
Enting

Gandalf

I think Bilbo got a lucky break. Let's face it, wouldn't you do the same if you were him? I know I would!
Old 05-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #24
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I repeat, this is not about "Was it right?" or "In his position . . ." (I'm not trying to sound mean, I'm just tired and can't think of a better way to write this). All it is, "Did Bilbo cheat?". I've got a hunch that Nienna Grey thinks so.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:23 AM   #25
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I don't think he really cheated. I have, sitting in front of me, the authorized version of the Hobbit from 1966, and the exact words are:

Bilbo, seeing what had happened and having nothing better to ask stuck to his question, "what have I got in my pocket?" he asked louder.
"S-s-s-s-s," hissed Gollum. "It must give us three guesseses, my preciouss, three guesseses."
"Very well, guess away!" said Bilbo.

Thus, he never specifies that it was meant to be Gollum. He just lets Gollum assume that it is a riddle. I can imagine him saying the last line with a sort of a laugh..mehehe.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:14 AM   #26
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

If what Bilbo did is classified as "unfair", then what Gollum did is many times worse. He woulda killed Bilbo and...err..ate em In that kind of situation, one cant even say it was cheating, just saving his life.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:20 PM   #27
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee BILBO CHEATED!

Quote:
Originally posted by SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Ok. In Riddles in the dark, I don't think that "What have I got in my pocket?" is a riddle. Riddles are more wordy and complicated. Therefore I do not think that Bilbo should have won. (Not that I have anything against Biblo. He's a very nice hobbit.)
I originally posted this under Epic Moment.....oops! Sorry Webwizard333!
Old 07-25-2002, 02:01 PM   #28
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I have to say that Bilbo cheated. It was okay for him to cheat under these circumstances, but he he still cheated.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:40 PM   #29
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think that Khadrane is right. that's exactly what I anted to say... I guess I was late a bit.

anyway, I think he did cheat, but he had to do that.. for his life of course. so it was ok.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 03:28 PM   #30
WiseWizard
Elven Warrior

Location: the darkest region of Mirkwood (and trust me, it's really dark)
Of course Bilbo cheated. It doesn't matter if he specified the question as a riddle to Gollum or not, he still took advantage of the fact that Gollum thought he was making a riddle, and so cheated. Sorry about the run-on sentence.
------------------------------------------------
"It's been a while since I've been 130." -Aaron Reichgott
You know, the world's full of apathy...but I don't care.
"I would've honked, but I might have hit you." -Janaki
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have gone to college that year." -Lewis Black
"I have one speed which varies according to my mood." -Kristy Pihl
"When I get a fever, I can hear my mom's voice in my head. But she's alive, not dead, so it's not as exciting." -Anna Crandall
"It doesn't matter what your body type is, as long as you're bloodthirsty." -Rachel Carlson
-------------------------------------------------
"My mind is a whirling miasma." -Jeff E.
"I think earth is the Alabama of the universe and we don't even know it."
"You can't just apologize the laziness of my bunnies away." -Taylor S.B.
I'm a sadistic massochist. I'm always happy.
WiseWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:15 PM   #31
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Bilbo cheated, but gollum let him. Gollum knew that the question wasn't a fair riddle, he even said so, and yet he still accepted it and tried to answer. Personally, I think the question of whether or not Bilbo cheated is void. Both Bilbo and gollum were not playing entirely by the rules and they both knew it but they kept on playing anyhow and didn't call eachother on it.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 12:21 AM   #32
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I think the "what have I got in my pocket?" question is a cheat as far as riddles go. On Bilbo's behalf, he never meant to cheat. He says it by accident, when he is nervous he is fiddling around with his pockets, and feels the ring he just found. He had forgotten all about it.
Quote:
"What have I got in my pocket?" He said aloud. He was talking to himself, but Gollum thought it was a riddle, and he was frightfully upset.
Quote:
Bilbo, seeing what had happened and having nothing better to ask stuck to his question.
Now, a riddle question is a puzzle, with clues within the question that a clever person can figure out. What Bilbo asks is just an ordinary question, not really apropriate for the riddle game at all. However, when Gollum says Bilbo has to give him 3 guesses, he is giving consent to the question, and allowing it in play. Gollum even cheats by making his last guess "string or nothing at all" which is actually two guesses, bringing the total up to four. Gollum loses, despite his cheating, but if he didn't think the question fair, he shouldn't have allowed it, and demanded a real riddle. Instead, he allows the riddle, and then means to welsh on the deal, and eat Bilbo anyway. So I would say that the question isn't a riddle, but Gollum allows it anyway, and Gollum ends up being the big cheater.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #33
Old toby's wicked weed
Enting

death, he cheated only, think me be truth here
Old toby's wicked weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #34
Landroval
Elven Warrior

I agree with most posters:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue, FotR
The Authorities, it is true, differ whether this last question was a mere 'question' and not a 'riddle' according to the strict rules of the Game; but all agree that, after accepting it and trying to guess the answer, Gollum was bound by his promise.
Landroval is offline   Reply With Quote