Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Character Study: Beorn

What was Beorn. how come he is the only one. Where did he come from. Why did you like him. Why didnt you like him. What was his importance in the book. This is a character study. Write anything... about Beorn
Old 11-22-2004, 04:54 AM   #2
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Actually doesn't it say in the appendicies or somewhere that Beorn had descendants? Therefore there must have been at least a few other Beornings.

I think Beorn really outlines what magic is like in Middle-earth. Aside from Gandalf occasionally lighting something on fire, magic is subtle and only to be used as a last resort, just like Beorn. He only joined the Battle of Five Armies when the dwarves, elves and men really desperately needed help.

He's a good person, but good and evil in Middle-earth isn't all black and white. Beorn is dangerous to friend and foe alike, but as the company found, he makes a great ally.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
Manveru
Elven Warrior

ya i always wondered about Beorn. His descendants, the Beornings can't turn into bears, but they still don't like dwarves!
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Beorn is quite a character. He doesn't immediatly come off as likeable, in fact from the way Gandalf carefully handled him I always got the impression that he was a man to be scared of if you met him on the wrong day.

But his home with the horses and dogs and the way he is protective over the horses that he lends to Bilbo's company give him an unexpected milder side. When you think about it, not a two dimensional character that one would expect in a children's story.

Manveru, please refresh my memory, where does it say that his decendants/family can't change into bears? I always had the idea they did.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I really liked the way Gandalf knew how to handle Beorn, and the way Beorn found Gandalf's scheme so humorous. I mean, it was so misleading, and took advantage of him, but he really didn't seem to mind so much. And the food at his house always sounded so good. What I wouldn't give to live in Middle Earth just for the food!! (that's really shallow of me ) Also, the music the dwarves played in his hall always sounded so wonderful and mystical in my imagination.
I don't remember the part about Beorn having descendants, but this is another reason why I should reread the Hobbit. I wonder why they couldn't turn into bears...hmmm.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #6
Beregond
Hobbit

Beorn

I think Beorn is a fasinatng character and he reminds me of Bombadill a bit. I was just wondering if anyone knew any of his history or if he is featured in any other stories?
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
Beregond
Hobbit

From the way Gandalf talked about and handled Beorn I think he should be a man to be wary of, but why does he only get angry when men, elves, goblins etc are around and not animals that might tresspass on his land, is Beorn really abear that can transform into a man? or is he a man that canj turn into a bear like Gandalf implies?
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I've never compared Beorn and Bombadil, but that's interesting. Contribute to the already existing thread here.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:22 PM   #9
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
maybe Beorn is an Istari, after all, there were a lot of them, if indeed Gandalf did fear Beorn, then I would pace him as higher ranking, or at least more powerful, but then he would be a head of the order.. I'm confusing myself
Old 01-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Lenya
Elentári

I don't think so. Oh, do you mean Istari or Maiar?

I haven't heard that Beorn's decendents couldn't transform either. I like what Nurvingiel said about the magic. It's so true. Oh yes, at first I didn't like Beorn, actually up untill Gandalf said he was following them. Then I decided he is cool. After the Battle of the Five Armies, I really liked him He is even made more special by the fact that we know so little about him.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #11
Manveru
Elven Warrior

the word 'beorn' in anglo-saxon means 'warrior'
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
I don't think so. Oh, do you mean Istari or Maiar?
Well the Istari were usually Maiar

And the warrior bit is interesting, where did you dig that up?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #13
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Beorn was my favorite character. When I started reading about the Battle of Five Armies I was just waiting for him, and then he showed up so powerful! I was cheering.

When he was keeping an eye on his horses I sensed more of a mistrust of Gandalf and the dwarves than of loving concern for his animals. He gave them strict instructions what to do with the horses, and he stalked them rather threateningly in bear form, even if he didn't mean to be noticed. This after their awkward meeting (from which, in the book, I couldn't draw any clear conclusions of his character) was enough for me to think he was quite a scoundrel, but then he showed up at the Battle of Five Armies and split some heads for their cause! Yes!

In this respect I think he's a very "Han Solo" type of guy.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 01-31-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #14
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
In this respect I think he's a very "Han Solo" type of guy.
Totally! Only Han Solo is even better, he rules.
The warrior thing is very cool, thanx for that Manveru.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #15
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Beorn was (supposedly) a man. [Tolkien makes it clear in his letters that Beorn's lifespan was no greater than that of an ordinary Man. It's very unlikely, then, that he survived much beyond III 3000. (see The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 144, dated 1954).]

It also states he was a magician! Shapechanger is probably closer to the truth. [In the same letter referred to in Note 1, Tolkien explains that despite his remarkable abilities, Beorn definitely belonged to the race of Men: 'Though a skin-changer and no doubt a bit of a magician, Beorn was a Man'.]

He did have descendents... and also, he had relatives. Remember, he and his kin were driven out of the mountains by the goblins...

I think this is just one of those things that never gets elaborated on, like the giants in the mountains. And really, I'm sort of glad that not everything is explained in the appendix.

Also Beorn's name means warrior, but even earlier it meant bear. (bee wolf). For transition from bear to warrior you probably needn't look any farther than the berserker, the bear shirt, one who wears the bear shirt, and takes the form of the bear when enraged...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 02-03-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond
I think Beorn is a fasinatng character and he reminds me of Bombadill a bit. I was just wondering if anyone knew any of his history or if he is featured in any other stories?
That's what I thought when I read the chapter last night. [BTW I tried to follow Nurvingiel's link but it brought me back here].

They are both like "earth spirits". Bombadil talks with trees, Beorn with animals. They are both masters of their own small realms. I think they even served the same meal- clotted cream and honey (no low carb diet there).

Where they differ is that I definitely got the impression that Beorn is prone to violence, whereas Bombadil deals with issues in a much different fashion. Beorn is a man with magical powers-- Bombadil is immortal.

Fear Complacency!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #17
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
Well the Istari were usually Maiar

And the warrior bit is interesting, where did you dig that up?
mm, maiar is a bit more general though, istar refers to the (5? possibly some other lesser ones) wizards
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote