Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2004, 04:47 PM   #21
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by zinnite
I thought Smaug was pretty bad-ass until I saw the animated Hobbit, where he looks like a cat with wings and has the voice of an 80 year-old man who smokes four packs a day. It was pretty anti-climactic.
LOL!! That made me laugh really hard!

Smaug is cool. (maybe not. )
But he is (or was) funny and I love the way he talks to Bilbo. It sounds a bit like he had missed someone to talk to.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:59 PM   #22
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

He's rich (not to mentioned spoiled) and can flame anything in sight if he so chooses. Funny thing he didn't start flaming aimlessly around trying to burn Bilbo to a crisp. Perhaps he was lonley and wanted to talk to someone... anyone.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:46 AM   #23
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Surely your not meant to like him. I mean he is the ultimate bad guy of the book. He killed loads of dwarves and men. Destroyed Lake-Town and Dale. Stole all the dwarves treasure. Smashed down the secrret door in the Lonely Mountain. I mean this could go on for ever.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #24
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Surely your not meant to like him. I mean he is the ultimate bad guy of the book. He killed loads of dwarves and men. Destroyed Lake-Town and Dale. Stole all the dwarves treasure. Smashed down the secrret door in the Lonely Mountain. I mean this could go on for ever.
Yes, but if you happen to be his friend (if he had any ) you'd sure like him... for his treasures and power to destroy an enemy.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #25
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Hence some of the reasons he is soo awesome!

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #26
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Smaug is the coolest. I mean just the fact that hes a dragon gives him points. Major points for the treasure. Huge points for his huge ego. And extra points becaquse the dragon has class. I mean he is smart, and funny, and kills everyone who he feels like. Who has more class than Smaug!
Old 08-22-2004, 04:26 AM   #27
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
Hence some of the reasons he is soo awesome!
Awesome yes but isn't this reasons to LIKE Smaug.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:33 AM   #28
Haradrim

I dont know but I define some of my characters likability by their awesomeness so I think we are discussing likability when we say awesome.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #29
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah but wasn't Morgoth awesome and not many people like him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 08-29-2004, 06:15 PM   #30
Haradrim

Oh IO love Melkor/Morgoth. Its because of his awesomeness and his ability to thinkoutside fo the box.I mean just cause he didnt agree with Eru does that make him evil. How do we know Eru is the good guy. I mean we just take his word that Melkor is evila and has done all these things what if Eru and the others framed him. I think Melkor was just misunderstood. Same for Sauron when he joined the misunderstood Melkor he was immediately labeled as evil it sjust too sad.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #31
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Misunderstood, Morgoth tainted the Gift of Mortality and you think he's just misunderstood. Right.

Besides, this thread is about the only evil character that gets my sympathy and that's Smaug, not Morgoth.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #32
Haradrim

I think a lot of people misunderstand my posts because of the way iwrite online. Its completely my fault cause I use my computer the way I speak which is almost always ridiculous and I am always just having a bit fo fun. I know Melkor was evil and I know all these things but I just like to take a position and see if I can make it work out in the end. Also I was talking about Melkor becausewe were talking about what makes a character cool. I asaid it was awesomeness . T.D. said Melkor was awesome but not cool and I responded with my last thread. So back to Smaug everyone.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:38 AM   #33
HLGStrider
Hobbit

There are certain characters that make evil just a little bit fun. They are evil and do evil things but they do it so charmingly and with such a quick wit that we love to hate them or hate to love them or something to that effect.

The villians are always my favorite part of James Bond movies (Well. . .Connery, Brosnan, and Dalton are all handsome beyond belief too. . .You can keep Moore and Lazenby). They are evil but they get such good lines.

Do you expect me to talk?
No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

Smaug bandies words. He's like a big cat playing with his prey, and I like cats. I could be a cat if you gave me retractable fingernails. Plus he is relaxed and confidant.

Oh, I'm not sad when he swandives into Lake Town and gets his just desserts, but I like to read about him up until then.
HLGStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #34
Something
Hobbit

I like Smaug because he is a dragon.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 PM   #35
Roland
Sapling

Gimli Smaug

This is simply my opinion, and may not be shared by other "mooters", but I feel it is the novelty of the character. Smaug is the only character in the Hobbit, besides Gandalf, who is the only member of his to be mentioned.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:46 AM   #36
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I like Smaug, but not because he's a dragon. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that one of the reasons so many people like dragons is because of Smaug (lthough personally I favor Chrysophylax Dives)
Old 12-20-2004, 02:08 AM   #37
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Hm. I thought I posted here... right, my connection is going crazy...

I like Smaug too... (relative of yours, WF? ) though Glaurung is much neater, and I liked dragons way before I started reading Tolkien... In fact, I almost did not read LotR or the Hobbit because the dragons were bad. I've gotten over that, obviously...

btw, what do you mean by that, Roland?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 AM   #38
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

yes, I have to say as most here, he is after all a dragon, and a great one too!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #39
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Hrmm... He's a big flying hot.. well he looks a lot like a cat in the animated hobbit...

But yeah, he may be evil, but he's not deep deadly, dark evil, probably because the hobbit is a children's story in it's conception...

Compare smaug to glaurung, and you'll see a bit of difference...

Oh and for you information I did not taint mortality... you people are just weak minded...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:02 PM   #40
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
btw, what do you mean by that, Roland?
I think he missed out a word and meant to say 'he is the only one of his kind to be mentioned in The Hobbit.'
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230