Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2002, 06:04 AM   #1
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Vegetarian Thread

Hello and welcome to my vegetarian thread!!!!!

I don't want people saying it is pointless on here *glares psycically at Eowyn144*. I think ( and so does Beardy) that we should have a vegetarian thread so here it is!!!

I shall start with some philosiphy:

If your a vegetarian, you must hate vegetables.

I'll leave you, my non-existent readers, to work that one out and why technically it could be true. hee hee! WOW! I love being serious! hee hee!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:14 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Since I discovered the wisdom of vegetarianism, it has led to the paths of glory, ie, carrots just ain't that nice. And peas should just breed themselves to extinction....

Why am I vegie then? Because bovines are just too cute to eat!
Old 03-30-2002, 06:31 AM   #3
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I'm a veggie because it makes me feel horribly sick if i eat meat or milk or eggs.

Anyway i shall explain my philosiphy! hee hee!

You dont eat animlas because you like them so therefore yu must eat vegetables because you hate them!!!

hee hee!

Check out the Easter Egg thread i just had a right good lecture on it!!!

Old 03-30-2002, 06:41 AM   #4
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I am not a vegatarian, and I hate vegetables. But thats besides the point...

Its not that I eat meat because I don't like animals - I like some animals, like sloths, and pitbulls crossed with jack russells...

But meat is meat - I like the taste of certain meats, so I will eat it. My attitude towards the consumable item in question has nothing to do with the actual consumption.

I might like my Jack Russell, but if dog meat tastes good, I will eat it. I have never tasted dog-flesh as of yet. Same with human flesh - although I wouldn't kill a human just to tease my tastebuds (that is, unless I could get away with it...) I wouldn't eat my own arm, because that would be just silly. I would eat someone elses arm...

Yes yes I know you were all shocked. Especially you.

Last edited by Andúril : 03-30-2002 at 06:53 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:42 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by StrawberryIcecream
I'm a veggie because it makes me feel horribly sick if i eat meat or milk or eggs.

Anyway i shall explain my philosiphy! hee hee!

You dont eat animlas because you like them so therefore yu must eat vegetables because you hate them!!!

hee hee!

Check out the Easter Egg thread i just had a right good lecture on it!!!
I don't think I'm going to be able to eat all my easter eggs now, you meanie!
Old 03-30-2002, 07:11 AM   #6
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

sorry beard.

Maybe would get the Doctor to go back 50 years and reinvent Cadbury's with non animal additives! Thorntons is safe though. I'll be back soon, I'm off to walk K9.

Old 03-30-2002, 04:03 PM   #7
gdl96
the greg the admin

What I think is dumb is when people are vegetarians because they don't want to "kill innocent animals". When you buy meat at the supermarket, its already dead. And whether you buy it or not, the animal is already dead, so you might as well eat it. And by not eating meat, you won't be saving any animals. The cow farms are still gonna raise cattle just to have them slaughtered in the end whether you eat them or not.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril

I might like my Jack Russell, but if dog meat tastes good, I will eat it...

Yes yes I know you were all shocked. Especially you.
Not me.

Up in the highlands north of my city where I spent feshman year in college, they serve dog meat every once in a while. I tried one without knowing it and my friends were grinning at me.
I asked why and when they told me it was dog meat, I was surprised but actually found it ok and just about as good as goat meat. It seemes to keep the body warm up in the mountains but, of course, dogs start barking at you for about a day or two because they're territorial.

In other villages outside the capital, they also serve roasted crickets, locusts, beetles. Also there's bagoong(pronounced bago-ong) or plankton paste (country-wide garnishing with regional variations).

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-30-2002 at 04:44 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:07 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
What I think is dumb is when people are vegetarians because they don't want to "kill innocent animals". When you buy meat at the supermarket, its already dead. And whether you buy it or not, the animal is already dead, so you might as well eat it. And by not eating meat, you won't be saving any animals. The cow farms are still gonna raise cattle just to have them slaughtered in the end whether you eat them or not.
That may well be true, but increasinly, people are buying organic products, which are a lot more animal friendly, that the 'works'. So the market is going to be sqashed whether I eat animal or not.
All those lovely additives just aren't what people are looking for. Anyway, I have nothing against meat eating, I have just made a personal choice not to, because it tastes yucky. And the whole idea of going to a supermarket to buy meat that has been killed inhumanely for you, just seems wrong.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:10 PM   #10
gdl96
the greg the admin

If you feel bad about it being slaughtered inhumanely, buy kosher meat. I think it may be a bit more money, but kosher prepared meats are slaughtered in the most humane way possible.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:21 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
If you feel bad about it being slaughtered inhumanely, buy kosher meat. I think it may be a bit more money, but kosher prepared meats are slaughtered in the most humane way possible.
Yes but I don't LIKE meat. You missed that point. I eat cheese, chocolate (I checked for animally additives, and I can't see any on the MORO bar I'm eating... what am I looking for exactly?) Milk, and so on. Generally, I try to eat cheese that has vege renit (sp?), but on the whole, I don't eat meat, because it tastes funny, and I had a pet cow called Mindy... and it would be too weird.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:52 AM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Yes. Well, that would work EXCEPT that in my culture, pork is one of the most important meats.
I like vegetables. All the ones I've tried except green peppers. I think they are bitter, but apparently I'm the only one who can taste that. I also like all kinds of melons except bittermelon. I wonder what the pattern is here?
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 04:13 AM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille

Yes. Well, that would work EXCEPT that in my culture, pork is one of the most important meats.
I like vegetables. All the ones I've tried except green peppers. I think they are bitter, but apparently I'm the only one who can taste that. I also like all kinds of melons except bittermelon. I wonder what the pattern is here?
Peas and carrots as well? Ack. You must be one of those weird people... j/k!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:09 AM   #14
gdl96
the greg the admin

I didn't mean kosher meats, I meant kosherly-slaughtered meats. Although I doubt you could get pork that has been prepared in a kosher way. But if you want humanely killed beef, then go for the kosher beef.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:33 AM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"If all slaughterhouses had glass walls the world would have turned vegetarian overnight"

Or so they say. I'm no vergetarian,it's just that I stay true to the human onmivore theory. I don't eat too much meat, mind you, I try to balance both meat and vegetables. And I resent inhumane slaughter.

It's just no use turning veggie for the health-related issues (at least around here) because whether I eat meat or vegetables I still get my dose of poisons, hormones, antibiotica, mercury and other stuff. It's in both of them.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:42 AM   #16
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

I very much dislike meat and it can be very very disgusting from time to time, but I'm not a vegetarian. I used to be a one though...

And Strawberryicecream, if you don't eat any animal by-products, you're not a vegetarian, but a vegan, right? I've had a go at that too, a few years back.

All living vegans, remember: tofu is just too sweet...
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 11:23 AM   #17
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I'm not a proper vegan because i still eat cakes with egs in as long as i cant taste them. Until the market becomes a little more vegan friendly then i shall have a certain limit for i am young and still growing and though i would like to lose some weight, i know when to have my limits.

I am currently compiling an additives guide for veggies so they can check ingredient lists and see what there is eating in non-jargon terms.

Oh and Gdl96?

If people stop eating meats because of that reason, it does make sense. Because by not picking up that packet of mince, there is one last mince box before having to call up and order some more, so by ledd people eating meat, less animals will have t be slaughtered.

Oh and another point. Imagine your family. Imagine you got up one morning to find they had been given a lethal injection in their sleep. Would you forget about it because it was a more 'humane' way of killing?

The point i'm trying to make is that i have nothing against meat eaters at all and i dont really know why i'm a veggie apart from the fact that i'm nearly sick when i drink milk or eat a hamburger(its been a year since i have!!! yay!!!), but people have their own reasons for it.

You end up having a really healthy diet if you eat beans etc.. and there is health reasons too for instance did you know that HItler was put on a vegetarian diet now and then because he tended to fart when he was angry!

Oh, and Noldo? how can you like Tofu???!!! I can't stand the syuff!

Old 03-31-2002, 06:36 PM   #18
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
"If all slaughterhouses had glass walls the world would have turned vegetarian overnight"
Ummm...I take it these people have never seen a vegetable field either. It's not so pretty either, in terms of cleanliness, but we gotta eat something. Same principles as for meat. Clean or cook it properly. Cutting down on those pesticides would be nice though.

Strawberry! How can you NOT like tofu?
Mmmmmm...deep-fried spicy tofu with salt and pepper....agedashi tofu...smooth slippery fragrant plain tofu with mushrooms and crunchy veggies...and finish up with soft tofu dessert, nice and hot, with ginger syrup. Yummy! All this from the humble soybean. Hooray for human innovation!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 06:57 PM   #19
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

You folks don't ever need to go to the Swamp Supper they have around here. They have any kind of meat you could want. Shrimp, crab, frog legs, goat, quail, hamburger, rabbit, and the list goes on. Goat was pretty good, but a little tough. Anyway, this is just my way of getting around to my question. I posted this question in the meat eating thread and I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Would you consider chitlins meat? (That's pig intestines for those of you outside of the South) Or how about haggis? Or caviar? (Not bad. The caviar, not the haggis) You probably would, since it comes from a pig, but what are your thoughts on the foods I mentioned?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 07:02 PM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
You folks don't ever need to go to the Swamp Supper they have around here. They have any kind of meat you could want. Shrimp, crab, frog legs, goat, quail, hamburger, rabbit, and the list goes on. Goat was pretty good, but a little tough. Anyway, this is just my way of getting around to my question. I posted this question in the meat eating thread and I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Would you consider chitlins meat? (That's pig intestines for those of you outside of the South) Or how about haggis? Or caviar? (Not bad. The caviar, not the haggis) You probably would, since it comes from a pig, but what are your thoughts on the foods I mentioned?
Yes, because it's an animal byproduct, in which the organism had to die.

RE vegetables, in New Zealand, it's pretty much pesticide free,... pretty much. Plus, our organics industry is booming, so we can avoid getting pesticide vegetables. However, this is not the reason why I don't eat meat, a) because it makes me retch and barf b) because they are killed inhumanely
c) how can you eat lamb? It's a baby?