Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Questions on Gollom's decision to follow the Fellowship

Gollum starts to follow the Fellowship in Moria. Why?
He knew already Gandalf and Aragorn (and Legiolas?); they had not been kind to him before. Why following them?
When and how did Gollum realize that the Fellowship had the ring? When and how did he realize that Frodo had the ring?
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I don't have the books in front of me at the moment, but Gandalf says something about Gollum being drawn to the ring. He can't help himself, and he can't stay away.

Here's a question that I have, though. Do we ever find out how Gollum ended up in Moria? I guess i always assumed that after he left escaped from Mirkwood he just kind of wandered aimlessly...but it must have been more than that if he had help escaping from the elves.

hm.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickhollow
I don't have the books in front of me at the moment, but Gandalf says something about Gollum being drawn to the ring. He can't help himself, and he can't stay away.
Yes, but if he did not know that the ring was with the Fellowship he must have been very sensitive to it to be drawn to it
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of FĂ«anor

Well, of course he was sensitive to the Ring, silly goose! Gollum had that blasted ring for ages and ages, long enough to almost completely transform him into a pathetic "thing," or "it," and stuff like that, poor Smeagol. I don't have the stats on the exact number of years, but it was a bloody awful long-ass time. So, of course he's going to be able still to follow it around like a heat-seeking missile. I don't think anything could have kept Gollum from that Ring.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I agree with crickhollow and Lotesse, yet I think wheere is more than that to it. The only hobbit Gollum had seen since he left his family was Bilbo, a Baggins who stole his precious Ring. Suddenly he is being questioned about the Ring and he sees four hobbits travelling through Moria. He probably made a connection.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickhollow
Here's a question that I have, though. Do we ever find out how Gollum ended up in Moria? I guess i always assumed that after he left escaped from Mirkwood he just kind of wandered aimlessly...but it must have been more than that if he had help escaping from the elves.

hm.
It is in the Unfinished tales. He escaped both elves and the orcs and was pursued by both, especially the elves. And he was trying to get on the other side of the Misty mountains, because he supposed that the Shire was there.

in July -September 3018 Sauron sent the nazgul first up the Vales of Anduin both 1. to look for the Shire and Baggins and 2. to look for Gollum. Gollum has hidden from them in Moria and stayed there for several months. He made his way to the West Gate, but couldn't open it. He grew quite desperate when the 9 walkers arrived.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Findegil
Elven Warrior

Porberbly the answer is much simpler: to follow the fellowship was Gollums only chance to survive. He had been in Moria for some time, and he was not able to open the Westgate even before it was blocked by the Watcher in Water (it istold that it needed two dwarves to push the gate open). Thus he was already straving. The fellowship opened him a chance to find a way out, and maybe also he looked for a chance to get some food from them (stealing or mordering or searching their rubish, if you like).

By the way, in "Unfinished Tales"; "The hunt for the Ring" we are told that Gollum escaped the Orcs that helped him escape from Thranduil's Elves at once. He fled into Moria when the Nazgul searched in the dale of Anduin for the Shire.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

thanks for the background info, Findegil and CrazySquirrel. I guess it is now time for me to hunt down a copy of UT, and read up on Gollem.

Last edited by crickhollow : 02-06-2006 at 03:38 PM.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote