Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The power of the Light of the Two Trees

The Two Trees seemed to provide some benefits other than just lighting Valinor. The Elves that were born and nurtured in the light of the trees seemed to grow taller, were, physically stronger and more enduring in comparison to the Elves born in Middle-earth. also the land itself seems to have gained certian qualities. Tol-Erresea, although not technichally in the Blessed Realm received the same benefits because it was bathed in the light.

Morgoth destroyed the Two Trees. Did any of the Valar receive benefits like the Elves and the land? It's interesting how Morgoth destroyed the trees, but yet his heart was tied to the Silmarils, that held the very thing that he destroyed.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
kaleb500
Sapling

I would certainly agree that the light from the trees was more than just mere light in the visual sense. The fact that Morgoth preferred the light in the form of a jewel, which he could claim ownership over, rather than just let it shine for all is a testament to his evil. Feanor himself, after some time, came to develop a jealous and guarding attitude towards the jewels. And yet ironically, as you say, is that the very same light that shone from the jewels also shone from the trees for all anyway. Feanors greedy attachment to the jewels is very evident in his reluctance to unmake them so that the trees could be restored. To even think about depriving all the inhabitants of Valinor of the light, and the trees of their life, for the sake of three jewels is selfish beyond measure IMO, despite the fact that he did consent to this in the end. As for the affect of the light on the Valar I am not sure.

Last edited by kaleb500 : 05-23-2004 at 09:53 AM.
kaleb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
Beor
founder of the color blue

I have always thought that it was just some holy light in the holy land. Those elves that went to Aman were enriched, as I have always assumed, not only by the light, but just by being in the prescense of the Valar. Think if I managed to hang out with the Christian God for a while, say a year or two (you know, playing pool and drinking some killer mead), when I came back, I would most likely be quite a hell (heaven?) of a guy, both in mood and in spirit (and hopefully looks, oh yeah). I think it had to do with the holiness of the entire land, not just the light of the trees.

Though, I would have like to have witnessed the mingling of the lights, that would pretty much kick ass.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:08 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by kaleb500
I would certainly agree that the light from the trees was more than just mere light in the visual sense.
Agreed. The Trees were made by Yavanna and Nienna, and I guess the Valier blessed them and transferred some of their own divine qualities to them. It was said after their destruction that Yavanna was not able to make them anew, unless Fëanor would permit her to use the light that was still preserved in his jewels. I guess it is like a piece of art, you can only make it once, because if you would be able to do it more than once, it would not be art.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beor
I think it had to do with the holiness of the entire land, not just the light of the trees.
Agreed to this too. The published Silmarillion says:
Quote:
Behind the walls of the Pelóri the Valar established their domain in that region which is called Valinor, and there were their houses, their gardens, and their towers. In that guarded land the Valar gathered great store of light and an the fairest things that were saved from the ruin; and many others yet fairer they made anew, and Valinor became more beautiful even than Middle-earth in the Spring of Arda; and it was blessed, for the Deathless dwelt there, and there naught faded nor withered, neither was there any stain upon flower or leaf in that land, nor any corruption or sickness in anything that lived; for the very stones and waters were hallowed.

Last edited by Artanis : 05-28-2004 at 03:27 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

I wonder if this part of the 'myth' was to explain the 'northern' custom of Christmas Trees?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

Ive allways seen the light from a trees as a kind of drug. It made them strong and talented a bit like a performance inhancer. But it was also used upon all the lad it was the best fertliser ever for the land and made everything grow strong mind you all life comes from the sun here (well almost theres those things at the bottom of the sea) so i think that what he was trying to get at
Old 05-30-2004, 03:36 AM   #7
Stephen
Hobbit

Sween, i've been thinking about it along those lines recently and i think the "drug" qualities of the light make sense. It comes across mostly, to me, in the longing of the elves.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:45 AM   #8
Tatië
Sapling

The word drug does seem to fit with the image of those pretty little Vanyar baking like zombies before Manwe's feet. I really feel those guys missed out on experiencing Arda and life to it's fullest extent. But then they are holy, and I guess being innocent is a part of that.

The Light of the Trees had a power to heal the hurts of Morgoth, and I think it is for this reason that all life thrived in that light. Not so much the existance of the light but the fact that the light did away with and prevented the presense of Morgoth's decay. Tolkien refers to Aman, and even Eressea as 'Arda Unmarred', even an Eressea well after the Trees had been destroyed. I agree with the opinion put forth that the Valar themselves had something to do with the holiness of the Land, but the healing power of the trees is made clear too.

Off hand I don't recall reading of any specific benefits the Valar had from the Trees though they did become too enamoured in the light. Tolkien might have said something on it though. It is worth noting that even the Valar sometimes sought refreshment and repose from the fountains of Irmo and Este. There was apparently something the Light did not do for them. My own thought is that the Trees would have less (or at the least different) effect on the Valar than they did the Children for the reason that the Ainur had no true physical bodies, or need of nourishment from the body of Arda, which the Light's healing properties would work on. Though they did enjoy a feast sometimes. If the Trees healed one's spirit directly then this would effect the Valar, I would think.

PS: I also think it is worth noting that in a bit of narrative Tolkien wrote for a Round Earth cosmology, the Light of the Trees was in origin from Eru himself.

Last edited by Tatië : 06-04-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Tatië is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:41 AM   #9
Beor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tatië

PS: I also think it is worth noting that in a bit of narrative Tolkien wrote for a Round Earth cosmology, the Light of the Trees was in origin from Eru himself.
Like a little bit of Eru leaking into the world? I am just wondering, I havent gotton that far in reading yet. If so, that would probably be why Morgoth wasnt too fond of light, and why (at least one of the reasons) that he destroyed the trees. Scumbag (not you, Morgoth)
Old 06-04-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Like a little bit of Eru leaking into the world? I am just wondering, I havent gotton that far in reading yet. If so, that would probably be why Morgoth wasnt too fond of light, and why (at least one of the reasons) that he destroyed the trees. Scumbag (not you, Morgoth)
That's what I mean about him desiring the Silmarils so much. The light of the trees were in them.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 06-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #11
Minielin
Elven Warrior

The Trees definitely seem to have something in them that sets them apart from mere light. They obviously had enough of an effect that the sight of them (or the absence of the sight of them) separated the elves into Calaquendi and Moriquendi, and more importantly deemed the Calaquendi the "High Elves".
Quote:
The Light failed; but the Darkness that followed was more than loss of light.
I would also think there is unquestionably a connection to the tree in Wagner's Ring Saga (Norse mythology? I'm not quite sure of the origin) that bears the fruit which sustains the youth of the gods.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #12
Beor

So, it was for him, like he was managing to hold a little bit of Eru captive? If that is what you are getting at, then that is definitely an interesting theory, and explains why they burnt the hell out of him, and caused him so much pain (of course, and iron crown could never feel good)
Old 06-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
So, it was for him, like he was managing to hold a little bit of Eru captive? If that is what you are getting at, then that is definitely an interesting theory, and explains why they burnt the hell out of him, and caused him so much pain (of course, and iron crown could never feel good)
Well, I think we have discussed that aspect of it before. The Silmarils were hallowed by the Valar and no evil or mortal hand could touch them without being burned. But Beren was an acception.

Travel and Tourism Guide