Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2001, 12:08 AM   #1
potyondi
Sapling

Will this chase people away?

Judging by all the trailers I've seen so far, PJ and co. are advertising FoTR as an action movie, based on the sequences we know of and have stolen glimpses of. However, I think many people would agree that FoTR is the "slowest" of the three in terms of action, especially compared to TT.

Will people (regular people, not major book fans) go to the first movie, be disappointed by the lack of what they were expecting and then not believe the TT trailers when they hail it as an even more action-packed movie?

Essentially, I'm hoping that the first movie won't be anticlimactic as a result of the trailers and chase people away from the books or the movies. Thoughts?
potyondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 01:24 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Actually, here's what can be ascertained from the trailers:

The slowest portion of the entire six-book novel is probably the journey from Hobbiton to Bree. Let's face it - encounters with the first Black Rider aside, and the whole bit with the Barrow-Wights and Tom (which are being cut, so they don't count) - there isn't much in terms of action.

This appears to be taken care of in the movie already. Note how the Black Rider appearing at the Ferry is a much closer encounter than the mere distant sighting in the book. I do believe Gildor has been cut as well, and in a way that's a pity, but in terms of pacing it's understandable...

It looks like the movie is actually minimizing the journey from Hobbiton to Bree so the real goodies - Weathertop, Bruinen, etc. - come as soon as possible. But so the journey doesn't seem too easy, the pursuit of the Black Riders is being stepped up significantly.

There's also the presentation of Gandalf's encounter with Saruman in "real-time", instead of as a flashback at the Council of Elrond. That's implied by the soundtrack, among other sources, anyway.

Also take into account that in the trailers, we've seen a fair bit of Moria, Bruinen and the flashback to the Last Alliance, but we've seen almost nothing of Amon Hen. Or, for that matter, the encounter at Isengard.

There's a lot we haven't seen.

What's really interesting is that FOTR, even with so much cut out, is still sitting at a solid three hours. Now, it's also the longest of the volumes. The question is, how long will TT and RotK be? RotK is actually rather short, but there is a lot of room for extended pacing and detail in the battles, particularly the journey of the Grey Company.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 02:23 PM   #3
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Well RotK is actually the shortest of the books but it probably is the most action packed of the lot! I mean all the ends get tide up and they return to the shire to tie up even more ends - which is rather a shame because i like to be kept guessing at the end (i am a huge fan of Usual Suspects) - and they all live happily ever after. Well most of them do.
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote