Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Why people love the United States of America

This is where people can say why they love America. I think we have more than enough threads contemning all the past generations and many future generations of Americans to hell.

If I am the only one who posts in this thread, this will show a lot about what people on entmot thinks about America. If it turns into another American bashing thread - it will say a lot about those people's feelings towards America. Bashers of America have many many threads to go to - I suggest you post your condemnations there.

I love the diversity, the fact that people from all over the world can come here and become American and truly be American - as well as considered by "previous americans" as being American. I love the pride in the country, the can do attitude, the diversity of the landscape. The fact that so much in the modern age has originated from America. The Ben Franklins, the George Washingtons, the Roosevelts, the Edisons of America.

I love the state rights, the fact that the central government is weak when it comes to domestic affairs and the states get to decide most things. I love the freedom of this country, the freedom of speech and religion. The fact that our rights are guaranteed by a written Constitution which is very hard to change.

I love the fact that America was founded by a group of truly great men - who had no idea whether the country that they were forming would succeed. They called it the "Great Experiment". I love that the founders believed in something so much that they risked their life for a dream by declaring independence. Through all the hardships we have succeeded. We have survived Civil Wars and presidential assinations, we have survived depressions and civil unrest. We have freed through the years much of an enslaved and conquered world. We survived when no one in the world felt we would. I love the fact that OUR Constitution is the model for so many other country's constitutions around the world.

I am proud that America reaches for the stars and doesn't take the "it's impossible attitude" and that we try to make the lives of people around the world better.

I love that this country took and accepted my ancestors from Italy, Ireland, Poland, Russia and Czechoslovakia. My ancestors may have been those nationalities - but I am not - I am American.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

*sings*I'm free to do what I want any old time

I enjoy my right to vote someone out of office and there not be a violent riot.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Acceptance of all the downtrodden from other countries of the world.

The notions of freedom, of equality and of justice.

The risk-taking, and the rewards.

The blessings of rich natural resources and picturesque natural settings (of ALL types: mountain, forest, coastal, tropics, desert, plains, etc).

Although most of our founding fathers were men of great personal religious conviction, they made it a priority that the government not force a particular type of worship - as had taken hold in many of their countries of origin.

The socio-economic mobility.

The improvements we've made in the past 228 years (come this July 4!).

The way we have continually drawn from the overflow of our rich blessings to share with the rest of the world.

That young men and women from all classes will volunteer to serve this country.

That when we have our problems (and who has none) we work them out pretty well.

God Bless America!!!

And... May God Certainly Bless Everyone Else Just as Well!!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 03-23-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I like America and I'm hoping that one day I'll get to visit. My friend and I have even talked about buying a house over the pond in a few years.
And I like how every American that comes to stay where I live (my town has a connection with St. Cloud's Uni) is friendly and is proud of their nationality.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:04 PM   #5
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

I love America for its unique oppurtunities to start over, and for its freedoms. Most other countries put freedom in writing, but here is one of the few countries in the world where they are put into practice.

I also love that no matter how much money we can waste we still care for the rest of the world. Americans all over the world are volunteering in the third world and other needy areas.

And though America could virtually control the world, we use our power, in general, wisely and there is, comparitively, very little corruption.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
Janny
The Blobbit

Oh I see!!!
Why everyone hates the English gets hi-jacked by those who believe America is hated by all... but the same people who start the why people love America thread!!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
Janny
The Blobbit

Oh BTW before you do all kill me, I do actually like America, agree with it being global policeman and think Bruce Springsteen rules...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #8
Beor
founder of the color blue

I dont want to sound too American here (actually I do), but America kicks ass, and that is why I love America. I would get blown to pieces for that flag and the stuff it stands for, whether everyone agrees with it or not.

I still cry with pride at the 4th of July when they play God Bless the USA, and I tear up every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner, and everytime I see the boots, weapon, and helmet of a soldier in formation, without the soldier to go there, I remember what I am proud of.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

and I love america because it strives ever on toward tolerance and freedom for all. despite hickups along the way. Oh and I also love it because we are all free to express our pleasure or displeasure with our government and our country, to point out embarrassments in the past and the present as WELL as the wonderful things that this country has done and the great men and women who have been born and died here and not feel for one second as if we have anything to fear for expressing those opinions or that we have to denigrate OTHER countries to make ours look better. Thats the beauty of America.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:28 PM   #10
Aldhelm
Sapling

Before I say this I want remind everyone concerned that I like America and Americans BUT........

I do not like the government (Bush). I do not like the system either nor the CIA neither. They also control Britain and Australia and I despise that. We (they) are free countries and do not like being run by a smug over-bearing, war-mongering git like Bush.
and battle sharp, which
he carried on his mail,
and cut the dragon
through the middle.
The enemy fell--strength
had driven out life;
the two kinsmen, together,
had cut down the enemy.
So should a warrior do.

Beowulf
Aldhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Aldhelm
Before I say this I want remind everyone concerned that I like America and Americans BUT........

I do not like the government (Bush). I do not like the system either nor the CIA neither. They also control Britain and Australia and I despise that. We (they) are free countries and do not like being run by a smug over-bearing, war-mongering git like Bush.
Not to sound angry, but our government is not simply Bush. It's so much more complicated and logical than that.

America is the best, simply because its Constitution works truly FOR the people in every way, without allowing the government officials benefiting too much. We were the first nation to create such an ideal government (really a system of self-government with trust placed in a few special people [Senators and state representatives, who place their trust in the President]). And the genious of it is amasing, how much forsight was involved when the Constitution was first drafted. It's amasing.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 03-23-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #12
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aldhelm

Let me REMIND you - go to one of the NUMEROUS American bashing threads. Thank you .

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #13
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I haven't been to America (yet), and I haven't met too many americans either. But I hope I like what I'll someday see and experience. And I think I will.

But I don't like when you, Bombadillo, in a thread about why people love America, start saying why America is the best. I don't think you, me or anyone else can decide which country is the best.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I hope I'm not being offensive, but it's only my opinion: I believe America is the best.

Of course, that's only in one sense anyway; that we were the first to create what I believe to be the most ideal form of government possible. And now that we're speading it worldwide, not only to Iraq but also as other countries ar using us as a model like JD said, despite the criticism, it shows our confidence and our pride in our wonderful Constitution. There's something really good about it.

In other words, America is the best with government, just as Cuba is the best at living under pressure of a dictator without much unecassary rebellion, or Norway is the best at producing Black Metal. (These aren't the countries biggest accomplishments neccasarily, but they're unrivaled in these areas.)

Last edited by Bombadillo : 03-23-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:24 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i have never been to far into america only mainly seattle but i dont find anything wrong with the people. I like america i mean it is a great country with great people. no matter how much i bash t it is only in fun like JD calling canada the 51st state i may see some things there as bad but every country has that belive it or not Canada has bad things too
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

Last edited by gimli7410 : 03-23-2004 at 11:26 PM.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's funny... one of the things I really love about Americans can also drive me nuts. That is to say: I love how the Americans I've met have been so open, and honest, and clear, and articulate, and well spoken. But, this is the same thing that drives me nuts because they feel the need to be open and honest about how much the service (or whatever) sucks. Where I come from, in NZ, if people are unhappy about a service they'll just quietly suffer, and then perhaps never go to that place again. Whereas, an American will loudly proclaim exactly what is wrong. This I see as a good thing, and I will have to work on my 'cultural inhibitions' and try and emulate it myself. edit This also works in reverse: Americans are really profuse with compliments when they enjoy the service, and I know that I always strive that much more harder to ensure a good service if I know that something is appreciated! Again: NZers take note!

Another thing I really like, as I've mentioned before, is the classic Rock Music that originated from the US in the early 70s onwards. Something I don't believe I HAVE mentioned is the academia side of things. Both fields that I am/have studied in - Geography and Anthropology - owe a lot to learned institutions from the US. People probably don't realise this, but there is a clear demarcation between US archaeology and European archaeology, both in terms of methodology and research. I have always swung towards the US conceptualisation of archaeology as I believe that it is more "forward-thinking".

Finally, I just have to mention that apart from having some pretty damned sexy accents *Jim Morrison* **swoon**, the speaking manner of Americans is something that I always enjoy... this is due, I suspect, to the clarity of their voices, and the slow intonation, which makes it easier for me to follow what they're saying. This is especially important in class, because sometimes I have a hard time following due to my hearing impairment.

I only really have one quibble with Americans, and that is mostly with the foreign policy, but ... that belongs to another thread.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 03-23-2004 at 11:53 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #17
jerseydevil

Thank you BoP that was nice and I'm glad you kept the bashing out of here. I'm sorry - maybe I am a bit grouchy right now.

BTW - you are right - we don't hide when we think something is wrong - it's more so here in the Northeast. We are also very giving when things are good. I have given 25% tip to a waitress before - even though the food didn't come out right the first time (not her fault, but the kitchens) and I had to send it back. Because she was so nice about it afterward I felt she deserved the tip and I was very happy when I left. If the service is good- you should let them know, if the service is bad you should let them know. It's the only way they get feedback and can improve or know they are doing the right things.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #18
Ruinel
Banned

BoP... *snif* ... I'm touched.

I'll send you a sexy American guy over as soon as you send me an address and I can captur... I mean... get one to "volunteer". Do you prefer the Northern accent? The Southern accent? The Southwestern accent? Or the Midwestern accent? Please don't ask for the Minnesota or NY accents, because they irritate me (no offense intended, Gophers ). He'll be in a plain brown box with air holes. Make sure you don't have anyone around when you open the package because he'll be wearing nothing but socks (to protect him from the elements ).
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 AM   #19
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
BoP... *snif* ... I'm touched.

I'll send you a sexy American guy over as soon as you send me an address and I can captur... I mean... get one to "volunteer". Do you prefer the Northern accent? The Southern accent? The Southwestern accent? Or the Midwestern accent? Please don't ask for the Minnesota or NY accents, because they irritate me (no offense intended, Gophers ). He'll be in a plain brown box with air holes. Make sure you don't have anyone around when you open the package because he'll be wearing nothing but socks (to protect him from the elements ).
1) What about New Jersey!?
2) Is that him already, in her avatar?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:27 AM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Er... thank you Ruinel. I trust that he will come with a decent pair of pants?

As for accents, well, it's a little hard for me to distinguish between the not-so-obvious ones, but I tend to like the more neutral ones - mid-western? I don't like the Nuu Yawk accent very much, and I'm not such a big fan of southern ones, although some are nice. The texan drawl is okay if it's not too exagerated.

My address:

BoP
The Cave
Bottom of the World
North of Antarctica.

Much appreciated.