Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
allsirgarnet
Hobbit

Gandalf Favourite LOTR Things

Do any members have any "things" to do with the LOTR that they cosider special either on their own or to themselves?,such as books,games,momentoes and such.

I have 3,

1) 1969 limited edition one volume copy of the Trilogy on Bible paper,much rumpled and dog-eared from over use (still reading it even now).

2) Board game called "'War of the Ring" by S.P.I. from the late seventies ,mainly strategy and very detailed.

3) Board game called the "Fellowship of the Ring" from the early eighties with huge numbers of dice,cards and RPG type stuff.

Incredibly i bought all three myself.

Anything of interest anyone?
allsirgarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:41 AM   #2
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

lol i don't even own my own copy of LOTR! although the copy i have (but don't own) has the original illustrations by tolkien on the covers. the paper has browned considerably!

all i have is a LOTR year planner i got free with a newspaper with a still from the movie. oh yes, and labels for school books. pity i'm no longer at school
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #3
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
It's hard to choose form all the LOTR stuff I have. My calendar is just wonderful and so is my movie poster but I guess I like my LOTR poster that my Mom used to have as a teen(she found it online and realized it was the one she had as a teen and bought it and gave it to me), my handmade homemade "Hobbit"standard and my Gondorian standard, and of course my boxed hard back set of LOTR and my illustrated hardback The Hobbit. I LOVE reading out loud from the Two Towers in different accents and all that. It's alot of fun.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I love my copy of LotR. It's the one-volume version, and I've decorated it with pictures that I've drawn and pics from the movie, and written all over it in Elvish . . . but I also have some really cool LotR bookmarks and a hat that I wear a lot and I shirt I wear to bed (hopefully it will bring me LotR dreams!). My copy of the Hobbit is really nice too, blue with a silver Smaug on the cover, with Tolkien's drawings in it.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

My soundtrack and my copies of the LOTR, the Unfinished Tales, and the Hobbit. I have the movie-one volume version of LOTR, and I love going through it, reading where I feel like it, or highliting especially memorable parts.
Pretty soon, I'm going to get real walls in my bedroom and paint Lothlorien on one side, the Misty Mountains on another, and Hobbiton on the third. (I don't know what I'll do with the fourth yet. I also don't know how this project will go as I can't draw...)
Then my room will be my favorite LOTR thing!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 07:35 PM   #6
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
The books (I have one of each of the trilogy, a copy of the Silmarillion, and the Hobbit, and then I safekeep my dad's books)
and my door. The side of my door that faces my room is covered with LotR pix, printed out drawings, ect. Unfortunately, I can't expand where I put that stuff, 'cuz my mom would notice, but . . .

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 05:58 PM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

I do have my own copy of LOTR, but since the family copy is read to pieces, my copy kind of stopped being my copy and turned into the family copy.

But with I consider special to LOTR as that it kept me drawing and actually wanting to improve, and I did, in fact I still am. The irony is just that although LOTR kept me drawing I never once -until now- even considered drawing a lOTR-scene. Tipically.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 09:24 PM   #8
Nameless
Enting

I recently got a 'postcard' book of Tolkien illustrations. For those of you who don't know, this is a small booklet that contains tear out postcards of Tolkien illustrations. If you wanted, you could write on the back and send them to a friend!

Well, I tore a few out, and put them in little glass frames, and hung them in a group on the wall of my lounge room.

This small group of pictures has generated so much conversation amoungst my friends and family. I never knew that so many of them have read the Hobbit and LotR. Read and enjoyed! Sooo many closet Tolkien fans!!

After the books (which I have read until they are falling apart), that little postcard book would have to be my favourite 'Tolkien' thing!!
Old 02-13-2002, 10:21 PM   #9
galadriel
Elven Warrior

For Christmas I got the most wonderful journal full of LOTR illustrations. Problem is, now I'm afraid to write in it: it's just too nice looking as it is!

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 10:46 PM   #10
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Oooh, galadriel, you have the journal?? I love that thing! My friend has it too, and I'm madly jealous.

My mom got me the LotR movie collector's card. They're really cool, they go in order with scenes from the movie and have the story written on the back!! It's like having a condensed version of the film at home!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 06:36 AM   #11
athelas
Enting

My new illustrated Tolkien encyclopedia!!!! ( strokes cover gently.......precioussssss.... my preciousssss..... )
beneath the Moon, beneath the Sun,
Lùthien Tinùviel
more fair than mortal tongue can tell.
Though all to ruin fell the world
and were dissolved and backward hurled
unmade into old abyss,
yet were its making good, for this--
the dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea--
that Lùthien for a time should be.

"I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."-Frodo

FRODO LIVES!!! (erm...Sam does too, right?)
athelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:48 AM   #12
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

athelas,

is that the colored one or the black&white one? I have the former.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:51 AM   #13
athelas
Enting

Its the coloured one.....
Lùthien Tinùviel
unmade into old abyss,

Old 02-14-2002, 09:06 AM   #14
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

athelas

Did you see the portrait of Luthien? That was a smart move, though a cop-out. heheh If he showed her face he would've gotten tons of critiques however he draws her. Too many beholders to impress.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 02-14-2002, 10:37 AM   #15
athelas
Enting

Yeah, I only see her hair.....What's with the bat wings though? Loved the illustrations of the Anduin, Gollum, Numenor, Nazgul, the Woses, Sam and Shelob.....and many others I would like to list.
But the one of Grima Wormtongue was....terrible. He looked like a cross between Russell Crowe in Gladiator and WWF's The Rock!

It's a great book. Really cleared up the confusions I had about Arda, the timeless halls, the encircling seas etc. while reading the books.
Lùthien Tinùviel
unmade into old abyss,

Old 02-14-2002, 11:06 AM   #16
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think the batwings are there to show that she changed into a large bat when she escaped from her father to save Beren.

A no. of scenes from the movie are based on paintings which are included in the book. I was scratching my eyes when I first saw the Argonath and the Falls after in the film. I said, Deja vous to myself; and I'm not french even.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 02-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #17
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hmmm. Collectibles over the years:

1. Hildebrabdt Brothers Calendar, 1977. Got this calendar when I was first reading the LotR. Cut it up and taped the pics all over my walls. Wish I had held on to it intact.

2. LP Album: "JRR Tolkien Reads and Sings "The Silmarillion" and "Lord of the Rings", Caedmon Records, 1977. Got this that same Christmas. Old recordings of JRR reading selections from Beren and Luthien, mostly the parts about Huan and Sauron's prison at Tol Sirion, as well as Luthien's singing at the throne of Morgoth and the Slaying of Cacharoth. Also includes portions of "Treebeard," with the Professor doing all the "hoooom barrooooom" stuff, and his accents for Treebears, Merry and Pippin! Also includes the Professor reading in Elvish [Quenya or Sindarin, I cannot tell]. Absolutely fascinating!

3. Map: Middle-Earth, "original" Christopher Tolkien drawing, which USED to be the map in the LotR books, taken from a volume of "Unfinished Tales". Laminated, 16"x24".

4. Soundtrack: "The Hobbit", Rankin-Bass production. I had had "The Hobbit" on my bookshelf for several years, a gift from my eldest sister, when I read somewhere that the thanksgiving of that year would see a world premiere TV version of the book, and I snatched the old dogeared paperback from my shelf and devoured it the week prior to Thanksgiving. I was hooked immediately and started forthwith to hunt down LotR. Led me to purchase the album, featuring voices of John Huston and Otto Preminger.

5. Soundtrack: "Lord of the Rings" [Ralph Bakshi version].

6. Belt Buckle: Brass, Gandalf withhead wreathed in smoke. 1981.

7. Iron Crown RPG modules: Tower of Cirith Ungol and the Dead Marshes.

8. Video: "JRR Tolkien: Master of the Rings: The Definitive Guide to the World of the Rings", Cromwell Productions, 2001. Two-video set with interviews with JRR, as well as Father John Tolkien and Priscilla [?] Tolkien [I may have her name incorrect].

Actually I have a LOT more stuff from Mystery Science Theater 3000 [over 60 video episodes]. Oh, and somewhere is a recording of some Middle Earth stuff by Bo Hanssen [?].
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 02-14-2002 at 12:21 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:59 PM   #18
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

My most prized possession will always be an old 1970's copy of Fellowship (green covered with a symbol of an eye) which my late dad owned. I never saw the other volumes but it has sentimental value.

I also own:
1. another set of LOTR (black-covered and with a small painting of 1 or 2 characters in front cover)

2. The Hobbit (same edition as above, I think)

3. A late 90's full version of LOTR which I got in singapore last june

4. The Silmarillion (80's edition with a picture of numenor getting swallowed by the sea)

5. Unfinished Tales (beige covered with a hooded fellow)

6. Tolkien Reader

7. Colored Illustrated Tolkien Encyclopedia

8. Guide to Middle-Earth

9. Premiere Ticket Stubs (to be laminated, heheh)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 02-14-2002, 06:29 PM   #19
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

hmmm.. lets see.

I have the Ballentine Books boxed set of the Hobbit and three volume LotR that everyone seems to have. Also the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales (I just got it! Yay! ) in that same edition. hmm... hoooom hom... I guess that's it for that type of thing. Oh, wait... I also have a book called Realms of Tokien, it's all fan art from different scenes with excerts from the story to go along.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 05:55 PM   #20
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
My soundtrack and my copies of the LOTR, the Unfinished Tales, and the Hobbit. I have the movie-one volume version of LOTR, and I love going through it, reading where I feel like it, or highliting especially memorable parts.
Pretty soon, I'm going to get real walls in my bedroom and paint Lothlorien on one side, the Misty Mountains on another, and Hobbiton on the third. (I don't know what I'll do with the fourth yet. I also don't know how this project will go as I can't draw...)
Then my room will be my favorite LOTR thing!
THAT IT SUCH A COOL IDEA!!!!!!
My favorite LOTR item is just my books...I read out of them every night.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote