Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Request for a poll by the admins

Hi admins,

I would like to request a poll of the Moot. I would like to see what the opinion of the entire membership on whether or not sex and sexuality is an appropriate topic for the Moot. While I personally think it is important for kids to get facts not rumors, I don't think the Moot is the place for it. And the threads that discuss sex and sexuality seem to be nothing but battlegrounds for religious opinions, which is neither fact nor rumor. So I'm not sure what good they do, or if rather they do harm. Do you want your kids reading those threads? Do you think those threads are turning people away from the Moot?

I know the admins want to be fair and allow a lot of viewpoints, but there really are places out there where people can argue sex and sexuality. At this point we have about a half dozen folks who do little more than camp out on those threads. I think the Moot would be better served having them either chatting about Tolkien or going over to some other place to have their (our) argument.

As a bi man, a grandfather, a man with gay neighbors, and whose best friend is gay, I have to say those threads do not further my cause. I can't see how it furthers the other side's cause either. They have been at it for two or three years now and nothing has changed. It's like an addiction. And it's sad. Don't we have better things to do here?

So I'd like to ask you to take a poll and ask the Moot if they think sex and sexuality are appropriate topics for this G-rated messageboard.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

This could have been sent to the amins and mods via PM; it would have been quicker.

Meanwhile, I've alerted the appropriate parties.

FYI- this is a PG-13 board, not G rated
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Further your cause? Is that what threads here are supposed to do? I thought they were areas for discussion. We censor people from discussing things among each other when it clearly doesnt brake the PG 13 barrier imposed here? Bad idea in my opinion. You can find offense in everything. That cant be reason enough to censor however.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Sorry. You're right. I just didn't want to seem underhanded. You can delete the thread if you want.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I agree with Spock that this was indeed better suited for PM.

While I personally agree some topics should be discussed elsewhere, I disagree that polls should decide what should or should not be censored on the Entmoot. Closing.