Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2003, 11:27 PM   #1
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Artist in Need of Advice!

Ok, here's the deal...I'm doing a project for one of my design classes and we have to design ten peices of clothing....anything you want mind you! .... and a logo. Well, as usuall, I decided to go with a Tolkien theme! Primarily the Elves in the Silmarillion. I am designing a male and female "outfit" for the Noldor, Vanyar, Teleri and Avari/woodelves...also I might design for the Numenorians...My question is what do you think they would have worn? I am not trying to steal anybody's ideas...I am just curious...I am going for a look that would please everyone....seeing as how the goal of the project is to design clothes that will actually sell! I am trying to stay away from P.J's clothing designs on FotR and TTTfor the most part....any ideas would help alot! Thanks! Right now I have the Noldor male outfit as ind of a Tunic but without a shirt...it's more "revealing" than the movie version!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Hmm, that's a toughie! But it sounds like a great challenge and loads of fun! I'm sorry I can't think of anything right now, but if I mull over it tonight I might come up with some ideas. Good luck.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I always thought the robe I wore when I belonged to "Job's Daughters" was elvish. A full, almost floor length, flowing white robe, sort of like a choir robe. The neckline was not too high, It showed the bones at the base of your neck. (Soft weightless white fabric would feel best) Then, there was a golden, fairly thick long cord that was attached around the neckline in back. You brought the two long ends over your shoulders in front, then twisted them around each other three times and nestled the cord twist between your bust. Then you took the two separate cords around your back (under your bust line) and crossed them (in back) then brought them round front again at the waist. (more or less) At the waist, you tied the golden cords in a square knot. It looked best when it was a little loose and not cinched tight. The cords were still long enough to go past the knees (with a tassle on the ends, of course!) even after the knot. Pretty Grecian looking I guess, but very comfortable and beautiful! I live in Indiana too! Lebanon.

Last edited by Lizra : 01-28-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:57 PM   #4
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I always thought the robe I wore when I belonged to "Job's Daughters" was elvish. A full, almost floor length, flowing white robe, sort of like a choir robe. The neckline was not too high, It showed the bones at the base of your neck. (Soft weightless white fabric would feel best) Then, there was a golden, fairly thick long cord that was attached around the neckline in back. You brought the two long ends over your shoulders in front, then twisted them around each other three times and nestled the cord twist between your bust. Then you took the two separate cords around your back (under your bust line) and crossed them (in back) then brought them round front again at the waist. (more or less) At the waist, you tied the golden cords in a square knot. It looked best when it was a little loose and not cinched tight. The cords were still long enough to go past the knees (with a tassle on the ends, of course!) even after the knot. Pretty Grecian looking I guess, but very comfortable and beautiful! I live in Indiana too! Lebanon.
Thanks! I was kind of going for completely different looks among the Eldar and Avari...the one you described kinda looks like something that I would design for the Vanyar...they were very poetic and all! Maybe even the Teleri....
Doesn;t Indiana suck sometimes? Sometimes it;s good and sometimes its BAD!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:22 AM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Sounds like a nice assignment.

Let's see, I don't know if this helps a lot but this is how I pictured them:

The Vanyar would wear light-coloured clothing with much fine and intricate patterns stiched on them.

The Noldor would have worn more brighter colours with much more noticable decoration and even precious stones worked into them. And probably more jewelry.

I always pictured the Teleri wearing much blues and greens. The design of the dresses would have been much simpler that that of the Noldor. The decoration, if they used any, would have been sea-themed: gulls, seashells, waves, ect.

The Avari would have IMO much simpler clothes, especially in greens, browns and yellows. Little or no decoration and more designed for practicality.

The Numenoreans would in my eyes wear something of a mix between the design of the Noldor and that of the Avari.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:59 AM   #6
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Sounds like a nice assignment.

Let's see, I don't know if this helps a lot but this is how I pictured them:

The Vanyar would wear light-coloured clothing with much fine and intricate patterns stiched on them.

The Noldor would have worn more brighter colours with much more noticable decoration and even precious stones worked into them. And probably more jewelry.

I always pictured the Teleri wearing much blues and greens. The design of the dresses would have been much simpler that that of the Noldor. The decoration, if they used any, would have been sea-themed: gulls, seashells, waves, ect.

The Avari would have IMO much simpler clothes, especially in greens, browns and yellows. Little or no decoration and more designed for practicality.

The Numenoreans would in my eyes wear something of a mix between the design of the Noldor and that of the Avari.
Thanks! I had pictured the Teleri wearing those colors too!
Old 01-29-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Didn't Elves usually wear grey?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 11:53 AM   #8
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Didn't Elves usually wear grey?
I think the Sindar usually wore gray because...well they are the "gray Elves" But I was mainly wanting to design for the Elves of Aman. Also I guess gray isn't one of my favorite colors!
Old 01-29-2003, 02:27 PM   #9
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I think the Sindar usually wore gray because...well they are the "gray Elves" But I was mainly wanting to design for the Elves of Aman. Also I guess gray isn't one of my favorite colors!
I think not really gray(for any elves) , but gray tinted colors. Like a really muted red rosey color and really dusky gray-blues and greens. I think that would look beautiful as dresses or tunics for elves!
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
Gwaimir Windgem

Now, I think that Grey-elves was a derogatory term applied to them by the Noldor. Right?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

I know what you mean: Grey isn't a color I'm particularly fond of, either. And I'm sorry to be such a pain, but I am after all just a halfwitted apprentice loremaster.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #12
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I know what you mean: Grey isn't a color I'm particularly fond of, either. And I'm sorry to be such a pain, but I am after all just a halfwitted apprentice loremaster.
LOL I'm not sure how the Sindar actually got their name....but yes....I was going to go with "muted" colors for at least the Teleri....maybe the Vanyar as well...for the Noldor....bright!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:52 PM   #13
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

for designs on the clothing you could use celtic knots and such.... to me celtic stuff kinda remided me of elves... being one with the earth