Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Were Miriel and Pharazon in love?

Quote:
And it came to pass that Tar-Palantir grew weary of grief and died. He had no son, but a daughter only, whom he named MĂ*riel in the Elven-tongue; and to her now by right and the laws of the NĂşmenĂłreans came the sceptre. But PharazĂ´n took her to wife against her will, doing evil in this and evil also in that the laws of NĂşmenor did not permit the marriage, even in the royal house, of those more nearly akin than cousins in the second degree. And when they were wedded, he seized the sceptre into his own hand, taking the title of Ar-PharazĂ´n (Tar-Calion in the Elven-tongue); and the name of his queen he changed to Ar-Zimraphel. - Akkalabeth
One would suppose reading the above, that the evil Pharazon has forced poor orphaned Miriel into a hateful marriage and later held her almost as a captive.

But was it so indeed?

Have you noticed that Miriel, born in 3117, when marrying Pharazon, in 3255, was already 138 years old?!
No wonder they had no children. Their ancient foremother Tar-Ancalime, the first Ruling Queen of Numernor, married at 127, just for it not to be too late to bear children. And at this time royals lived up to 400, not to 200, as at the time of the Downfall. It is like marrying at 60 in modern times.

Now, why didn't Miriel marry someone earlier, in due time? Why didn't Tat-Palantir marry his daughter to somebody, say to Amandil of Andunie, to get a "faithful" heir and to thwart Pharazon's hopes for the throne?

The same for Ar-Pharazon. He could have married someone before he reached 137, which was, of course, fairly late.

I say there is a strong possibility that these two DID love each other, only, being first cousins, they couldn't get Tar-Parantir's permission to marry. I see it as an only reason why Miriel remained unwed.

Tar Palantir was Faithful and a prophet. He was like a King of Old, before the Shadow fell on Numenor, safe in one thing: he didn't lie down his life willingly, but ruled till the hour of his death. Why?
I believe he knew of his daughter's love for Pharazon her cousin, and foresaw that right after his death, the ambitious Parazon would easily "persuade" Miriel to marry him. And he failed to make her marry someone else... So he clung to life.

And indeed, after the King's death, they married almost instantly. Of course, it is said that it was "against her will", but it might refer only to the fact that she was awed to break the laws of Numenor marrying her first cousin.

And note, there was no rebellion of the Faithful. Imagine, someone forces their Rightful Queen, and Faithful to boot into an undesired marriage? I believe Amandil and K would have tried to deliver her. But no, it seems she overcame her "faitheful "fear of the incest and agreed all too willingly at the end.

Actually, for Pharazon to get the Sceptre, there was no real necessity to marry his cousin Miriel. Pharazôn son of Gimilkhâd (Tar-Palantir's younger brother), was Miriel's heir anyway, second in line for the Succession at the time when Tar-Palantir died. He could have made her abdicate in his favour (in favour of her cousin, the next heir), as often older sisters did in favour of their younger brothers.
But still, Pharazon married her, and made her his Queen, even without hope for children. Why?
Perhaps because he loved her.

And it was never said that there was no love between them, like for instance in the entry about Inzilbeth and Ar- Gimilzor: " GimilzĂ´r took her to wife, though this was little to her liking, for she was in heart one of the Faithful, being taught by her mother; but the kings and their sons were grown proud and not to be gainsaid in their wishes. No love was there between Ar-GimilzĂ´r and his queen, or between their sons. -Akkalabeth"

Nothing such about Pharazon and Miriel.
Neither is it said that she ever opposed Pharazon's deeds. It seems after her marriage, she stopped being Faithful, even in heart. She repented only at the last moment:
Quote:
And last of all the mounting wave, green and cold and plumed with foam, climbing over the land, took to its bosom Tar-MĂ*riel the Queen, fairer than silver or ivory or pearls. Too late she strove to ascend the steep ways of the Meneltarma to the holy place; for the waters overtook her, and her cry was lost in the roaring of the wind.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
CAB
Elven Warrior

I think you are right that this is a definite possibility. There is also the fact that Pharazon could be very close to members of the Faithful. He and Amandil were apparently very good friends for a time.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Good point, CAB.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
I think you are right that this is a definite possibility. There is also the fact that Pharazon could be very close to members of the Faithful. He and Amandil were apparently very good friends for a time.
Well Amandil was one of the King's closest counsellor until Sauron completley corrupted him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

And Amandil still remained the King's counselor and even a friend after Pharazon "forced" Miriel into the marriage. I think it shows something.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
NelyafinweMaitimo
Hobbit

I'm very new, and not entirely familiar with the thread, but I wished to express:

NO.

Miriel was Tar-Palantir's daughter and was hardly an idiot. Pharazon, in my opinion, married her so that he could easily subdue her, lest she become a greater political threat. Of course, if that had been the full reason and he really DID hate her, he could easily have ordered Atanamir to marry her. So, there may have been a little lust on Ar-Pharazon's part (because we're all fairly sure that he was not above temptation) but never love.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

interesting. because i somewhat agree with you. what if he married her to get to the throne, so that he could plan to attack Sauron, without having to go through whatever needed to go through.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote