Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
alhaQQ
Sapling

Aragorn and "Tar-" King Name

Hello All,

A bit of speculation--since I have not seen it directly mentioned in any of JRRT's writings--or EofA, or any other Tolkien resource--I wonder if Aragorn would use the "Tar-" 'king name' since he was the only known Dunedain with blood ties directly back to the Numenorean Kings (through the Lords of Anadune). (Whether he really is the closest direct decent can only really be challanged by the Numenoreans who emigrated to Umbar before the fall--which is another story/thread.)

Since Aragorn was surnamed "Elessar" by Galadriel, etc. and that Elessar is Quenya, I wonder if he might have considered or used a king name like Elros took: Aragorn Tar-Elessar, since he has been called "King Elessar" in places and "Aragorn Elessar Telcontar", and so on. This would definitely "help" against any "grumbling" (under their breath) Gondorian Nobles, if there were any, to tie him to the Ancient High-Kingship, not only of Elendil, but all the way back to Elros. (It may have the effect of pissing off the Numenorean decendents of those in Umbar--those who came before the fall and--possibily--to those of Castamir's supporters decendents.)

Since he ruled (and died) in the fashion of a Numenorean Monrch, I wouldn't think that this would be a real stretch--except, maybe "Tar-Elessar" doesn't translate in to Westron very well.

Any thoughts?

"Next time...I use FIRE.", God/Illuvatar/Eru/Allah.

Always be insincere, even when you don't mean it...

There are two types of people in this world: those with loaded guns...and those who dig.
alhaQQ is offline   Reply With Quote