Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Chapter 4 -- The Keeper of the Keys

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Chapter 4
The Keeper of the Keys

This chapter starts as the conclusion of a cliff hanger from Chapter 3 (A banging at the door). Uncle Vernon was sure he picked a good place for him and his family to hide out from magical letters and other unusual happenings. The beginning of chapter 4 lets us know that Uncle Vernon was wrong in a big way.

I find "The Keeper of the Keys" to be a interesting chapter that really begins to open Harry's eyes to who and what he is, some of his history and some information about his parents.

The Chapter ends with Harry agreeing to go with Hagrid to Hogwarts to learn to be a wizard.

Some important points of this chapter (IMHO):
  • The first meeting of Hagrid by Harry. (That Harry remembers.)
  • The Dursleys appear terrified of Hagrid, yet Mr. Dursley seems determined to keep Hagrid away from his family and Harry. He appears willing to use his gun to make is point.
  • Hagrid is the keeper of the keys and the grounds at Hogwarts.
  • Hagrid easily bent the gun with his bare hands.
  • Hagrid is shocked that Harry is ignorant of his history and what happened to his parents.
  • Harry learns that his parents were wizards and that he is one of the most famous wizards in the world for surviving against Voldemort. (it seems that people are afraid to say Voldemort's name or at least Hagrid is )
  • We learn the term muggle (non magician)
  • There is a Dark side and a non Dark side (of the force ) of magic.
  • Voldemort killed Harry’s parents.
  • Hagrid is very loyal to Albus Dumbledore. He thinks the world of him and he threatened to do harm to Uncle Vernon for insulting AD in his presence.
  • Hagrid is not permitted to perform magic. (why?)
  • Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts, yet AD let him stay at the school.

Some questions that come to mind:
  • Hagrid is shocked that Harry is ignorant of his history and what happened to his parents.
Why do the Dursley's work so hard to keep Harry unaware of his history and the truth behind his parents' death?
  • (it seems that people are afraid to say his name or at least Hagrid is )
Why are people (Hagrid) afraid to say Voldemort's name aloud?
  • Voldemort killed Harry’s parents.
Why did Voldemort kill Harry's parents?
  • Hagrid is not permitted to perform magic.
Why?
  • Hagrid easily bent the gun with his bare hands.
Who or what is Hagrid?
  • Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts, yet AD let him stay at the school.
Why was Hagrid permitted to stay at Hogwarts? This is probably part of the reason for Hagrid's loyalty to Albus Dumbledore.

Some final questions that I just thought of are:
What happens to the Dursleys?
Will Dudley lose his tail?
Will the Dursleys care that Harry is leaving them? (When they had Harry, they treated him worse than Cinderella.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote